Coopers Community

2006 Extra Strong Vintage Ale

Philby

Dear Coopers,

I lost a bet on the outcome NRL State Of Origin series last night, and this long standing bet I've had now for 10+ years has been on a carton of Coopers to the winner.

Originally we started with a carton of Red label, but with the advent of the ESV Ale, that has been the staple bet currency in recent years. Hmm, to the victor the spoils - a fond memory of last year and the 2004 batch........ ah but I digress.

I read somewhere that the new release (Version #6) was to be rolled out in July, yet I can't find anything anywhere on the net to support this.

Any news on when the public will be able to sample this, and for me to honour my bet - as well as stock up a few for myself??

Cheers.

• 1 month later...

Well thanks for that - I managed to organise that carton about 2 weeks ago. The people at Vintage Cellars Darwin (am I allowed to advertise - I hold no shares or interests in the business) were very good to deal with, me being from interstate and all (now), but I was lucky to score a carton there, as their pallet load was pretty much already reserved and sold before it even arrived.

That said, it's damn well hard to find a carton of the stuff here in Western Sydney - I have now mind you - but talk about hen's teeth.....

Was it worth the wait and treasure hunt?? I don't know, I haven't cracked one yet. It's my birthday soon enough, maybe I will then for a treat.

That said (refer previous post), I'm a little surprised to see that there have been NO, I repeat, NO posts regarding what people (those that matter anyway, which means pretty much anyone who's a Coopers drinker) think about the latest Vintage offering?? Surely, someone must have an opinion, comment, remark as compared to previous Vintage vintages. Surely? Don't make me have to crack one just to start the ball rolling.....

I've heard that the Coopers Alehouse here in Adelaide has Vintage on tap. I'll be heading there shortly to sample this magnificent product, plus I'm waiting anxiously for my fathers day present of numerous bottles!!! :lol:

Haven't tried it, but would like to.

I heard that it was 'below par' compared to previous vintages, but I never trust another person's judgement when it comes to the appeal of taste and other opinions guided by the non-factual senses.

(if you can't work out what I'm getting at there, what I mean is that if someone tells me a wall is white, I can see that and agree. However, if a somone tells me that Beer X has the estery scent of aged peppercorn marshmallow, I probably have a rather differing view (considering that the only thing that can truly smell like aged peppercorn marshmallow is marshmallows sprinkled with aged peppercorns) - as such, with the human sense of smell being as poor as it is, smell would be a 'non-factual' sense because it very much relies on perception and comparisons with arbitrary references, unlike vision)

bloody hell, work lunchtimes are boring - can you tell?! ;)

Archived