Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2015

Canadian Eh!L

Looks scrummy' date=' Mr Golden BC! Good recipe. I'm also going ESB this weekend (because I just love them), with this one:

Recipe: Anti ESB (English Bitter) 35 litre

Brewer: antiphile

Style: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)

TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Boil Size: 45.56 l

Post Boil Volume: 40.56 l

Batch Size (fermenter): 35.00 l

Bottling Volume: 35.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.052 SG

Estimated Color: 11.9 EBC

Estimated IBU: 34.6 IBUs

Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %

Est Mash Efficiency: 80.2 %

Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

60.00 l English Bitter and ESB Water 1 -

5.02 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins) -

2.69 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins)

4.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC)

3.00 kg Golden Promise (6.0 EBC)

0.80 kg Munich Malt (17.7 EBC)

0.60 kg Carahell (25.0 EBC)

60.00 g Challenger [7.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min

60.00 g Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 5.0 Hop

1.0 pkg Burton Ale (White Labs #WLP023)

I'm also hoping to get a better idea of brewhouse efficiency (after Hairsome's question) from brewing a "normal ABV" brew*. I'm also considering changing the maris to golden promise for a total of 7 kg GP.

Cheers

*Normal for everyone but B10! biggrin

your format on that post is arse my good friend.

And 1052 is DAFT!!!

• Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enjoy DAFT beers.

They look good Chad and Phil. I don't gave any ESBs in stock at present so there is another beer to add to my to do list. I might give mine a go with Wyeast 1469.

And no Challenger late in the boil? I love Challenger love

... After mash out has been completed' date=' I like to slowly drain the liquid from the tun until it's a really slow trickle. Then I turn off the drain valve. My thinking is this is the way to drain as much of the concentrated wort (first runnings) as possible before [u']any[/u] sparging.

Hey Phil,

I think the idea behind the fly sparge/floating mash is to use the sparge water to "push" the sweet wort down and out through the manifold. How this works is the sweet wort is heavier than water(we know this from our hydro readings)so the sparge water stays on top of the wort and displaces the wort. Keeping the grain bed floating at all times prevents "channeling" and stuck mashes. This will increase you brew house effic. big time and will cause a lot less grief on brew day.

Brew Day!!

Glastonbury ESB

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

40.00 l Golden' date=' BC CAN Water 1 -

[b']8.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 2 [/b] -

4.00 g Salt (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -

7.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 4 79.5 %

1.00 kg Munich Malt - 10L (19.7 EBC) Grain 5 11.4 %

0.60 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (157.6 EBC) Grain 6 6.8 %

0.20 kg White Wheat Malt (4.7 EBC) Grain 7 2.3 %

30.00 g Challenger [7.50 %] - First Wort 75.0 mi Hop 8 15.7 IBUs

20.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - First Wort 75.0 min Hop 9 7.7 IBUs

20.00 g Challenger [7.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 10 9.1 IBUs

2.11 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 11 -

25.00 g Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 12 1.6 IBUs

1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast 13 -

So, with this brew I waited to add my water treatment until after I "doughed in" and took a pH reading. It turns out my mash pH was 5.0 (which is a bit low) before adding gypsum. So, I didn't add any gypsum to this one, This is something to consider. Either my water profile is not accurate or the software I'm using is a little bit off. Either way, it makes sense to take "baby steps" and make sure I'm not F!@#king up the brew with unwanted additions. Have said that I did add the 4g of table salt to bump up the sodium (Na) and cloride (Cl) to increase the "malt sweetness and body" to the brew. We'll see how that turns out I guess. When I tasted the mash I could definitely taste the saltiness. 40+ litres of sparge water will tone it down I'm sureunsure.

The other switch to the recipe is the yeast choice. This will be the first brew using my recultured House strain. I have a 1.5L starter ready to pitch today. So, we'll see how that turns out.

BTW Hairy, I'm going to hit it with a dry hop of Challanger just for you!wink

6 gallon Columbus IPA about ready to bottle. Nice and clear & smells good but I found out what a hoppy beer tastes like, HOLY COW, don't know if my taste buds can handle this, hope it tones down a bit. Any input?

Thanks

okie1

Looks scrummy' date=' Mr Golden BC! Good recipe. I'm also going ESB this weekend (because I just love them), with this one:

[img']http://selma.phile.com.au/beer/AESB1.jpg[/img]

I'm also hoping to get a better idea of brewhouse efficiency (after Hairsome's question) from brewing a "normal ABV" brew*. I'm also considering changing the maris to golden promise for a total of 7 kg GP.

Cheers

*Normal for everyone but B10! biggrin

Notes: Apparently the geeks have been messing with the input python script today and stuffed things up even more! If you cut'n'paste plain text into the posting box it doesn't even respect the carriage return any more (ASCII-10+ASCII-13 Characters). Well done! (That's why the recipe is poted as an image - sorry all, especially B10. Thanks for translating it below, Big Boy.)

I think I'll have to do an extract brew of this with your yeast phil.

Cheers

With Phil's yeast? sick

If you don't mind' date=' sir, I harvest it from between my toes and my groin in conditions that are as sanitised as is humanly tolerable. Geez some of you people need to have some faith![/quote']

The finest quality yeast available extremely aggressive chews through underpants in under 36hrs!lol

G'day Brewers, going to put this one on this afternoon, comes into the American Pale Ale style and should taste Okay. wink

Sassy Sheila (Marilyn’s Secret with hop change +)

Coopers Sparkling Ale 1.7 Kg

Coopers Wheat Malt 1.5 Kg

Cooper Dry Malt Extract

Caramalt Malt 250g (30 minute hot steep) make up to 5 litres add DME and bring to a boil, the add,

Motueka 30g 10 minute boil

Galaxy 8g 10 minute boil

Cool the resulting wort cold water add to the fermenter make up to 23 Litres

When about 22°C pitch Re-used US-05 Ale yeast

I will ferment at 19°C

Motueka 10g Galaxy 30g day 5 dry hopping

Predicted OG: 1.053 IBU: 39.2 FG: 1.013 EBC: 9.9

Cheers.

Nice one Magnaman, sounds delicious!

Last Friday is put down a stock Coopers Mexican Cerveza.

Monday this week I managed to make the Coopers Abbey Blonde with a change of hops being Santinam (closest thing I had to Styrian Goldings)

it took ages to bring the crystal wort to boil - my kitchen electric stovetop is painfully slow.

Might have to start using the wok burner on my bbq, it's got some grunt!

Bottling day rather than brew day. Just arrived back from a few weeks overseas to find my final Saison for the summer down to a specific gravity of 1.000 after about 3 weeks in the fermenter, so bottled it up. Tastes really nice, so even though that's like 100% apparent attenuation from my O.G. of 1.050 I don't think it's infected. I was originally worried about pitching rate and yeast viability, but the 3rd generation Wyeast 3726PC yeast must be really be hitting their straps. This was a partial mash batch single-hopped with Pacifica (60 minute and flameout additions only), so looking forward to seeing how it turns out after some time in the bottle.

Decided not to harvest the yeast from this batch since summer is coming to an end (in Canberra at least). Next up I will be playing with a vial of White Labs WLP006 Bedford British yeast, which I am hoping will work nicely in a Hobgoblin clone I'll brew in the next couple of weeks.

G'day Brewers' date=' had to get this one on today and it is away, SMOTY, just scraped in and used Fuggles as I had no East Kent Golding's and used re-hydrated MJ British Ale yeast. wink

Cheers.

SMOTY is a really nice drop. If I remember properly, it was much nicer after 2 months than 2 weeks; so don't be too impatient, Magnicifent Man. I'm trying really hard to remember, but I think Fuggles will be just as yummy.

Keep on keeping on!

Trust Rolf Harris? Sue can (hope).

G'day Brewers' date=' had to get this one on today and it is away, SMOTY, just scraped in and used Fuggles as I had no East Kent Golding's and used re-hydrated MJ British Ale yeast. wink

Cheers.

SMOTY is a really nice drop. If I remember properly, it was much nicer after 2 months than 2 weeks; so don't be too impatient, Magnicifent Man. I'm trying really hard to remember, but I think Fuggles will be just as yummy.

Keep on keeping on!

Trust Rolf Harris? Sue can (hope).

G'Day P2, your a sick puppy, just thought you should know, and I'm not talking distemper. tongue

I understand that this brew like all Toucans will need some time, about 3 weeks in the FV and 2 months in the bottle was the plan. wink

Cheers.

Pretty un-interesting brew today, just using up the last of my brewing supplies. Will have to get some more goodies as I still have a couple beers on the to do list.

1 can Coopers Draught

1 can Coopers Lager

150 grams Light Crystal

400 grams dextrose

100 grams maltodextrin

2x kit yeast

No hops on hand.

23 L

OG 1053 fermenting at 18-20 degrees.

Cheers.

Just bottled an IPA with Motueka, clone of the first brew I did back in 2013. Gravity sample was very yummie :) Looks like I found a place to keep 12 degrees, so I will be getting myself a pack of Saflager W34/70 and have a go at the TC Pilsner on Friday :)

Fanta Pants

Brewer: Grumpy

Style: American Amber Ale

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.056 SG

Estimated Color: 28.1 EBC

Estimated IBU: 39.8 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

4.00 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EB Grain 1 73.4 %

1.00 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 2 18.3 %

0.30 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (59.1 EBC) Grain 3 5.5 %

0.10 kg Chocolate Rye (Weyermann) (482.6 EBC) Grain 4 1.8 %

0.05 kg Roasted Malt (Joe White) (1199.7 EBC) Grain 5 0.9 %

15.00 g Magnum [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 19.1 IBUs

50.00 g Azacca [14.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 7 20.7 IBUs

25.00 g Azacca [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

Total Cost $17.36

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Mash is on, time for a bike ride!

Brew Day!!

Recipe: Dortmunder Export 1

Brewer: C. A. Parent

Asst Brewer:

Style: Dortmunder Export

Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications

Boil Size: 49.93 l

Post Boil Volume: 43.68 l

Batch Size (fermenter): 40.00 l

Bottling Volume: 38.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.054 SG

Estimated Color: 11.3 EBC

Estimated IBU: 25.5 IBUs

Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.00 %

Est Mash Efficiency: 89.3 %

Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

40.00 l Golden, BC CAN 2014 Water 1 -

10.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 2 -

2.00 g Baking Soda (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -

2.00 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 4 -

2.00 g Salt (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 5 -

4.00 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (3.9 EBC) Grain 6 48.2 %

3.00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) US (3.9 EBC) Grain 7 36.1 %

1.00 kg Munich Malt - 10L (19.7 EBC) Grain 8 12.0 %

0.30 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (78.8 EBC) Grain 9 3.6 %

55.00 g Mt. Hood [3.40 %] - First Wort 75.0 min Hop 10 13.5 IBUs

20.00 g Perle [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 11 5.7 IBUs

15.00 g Tettnang [5.30 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 12 5.0 IBUs

2.11 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 13 -

20.00 g Tettnang [5.30 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 14 1.3 IBUs

1.0 pkg Saflager Lager (DCL/Fermentis #W-34/70) Yeast 15 -

Boil is on. Time for a bike ride!

Bottled the ROTM Battleship Bitter the other day so looking forward to how that one comes out.

Something a bit different from the Pale Ales.

Today I'm putting down the Cascirillo Amber Ale as per the recipe on the site except bumping up the late hops a little.

Hops are boiling now, house smells awesome.

Hello Possums

Chad & B10, would you be able to get an SG of your final runnings after the sparge?

For various reasons (you can interpret that as laziness) I didn't get around to the Burton ESB until yesterday. Yet with a much smaller grain bill than the Wee Heavy, the last runnings were still over 1.022. So a lot of reading and searching later, I'm guessing this is very normal (and not the default setting in BS2 of 1.010).

Cheers my malty friends

Mouldy Phil

Addenda: Hairy I forgot to add. The mash pH just crawled it's way into the ideal range of 5.1 to 5.5, at 5.5. So next time I'll target it a point or 2 lower for an ESB. If memory serves me (rofl), for a pale ale or IPA style, it ideally should be closer to the 5.1-5.2 level to help the hops shine through more than the malt.

would you be able to get an SG of your final runnings after the sparge?

For various reasons (you can interpret that as laziness) I didn't get around to the Burton ESB until yesterday. Yet with a much smaller grain bill than the Wee Heavy' date=' the last runnings were still over 1.022. So a lot of reading and searching later, I'm guessing this is very normal (and not the default setting in BS2 of 1.010).

[/quote']

My final runnings were around 1.015 when I last checked them with the refractometer. My pre-boil SG was a little low so I collected more wort and boiled for 90 mins instead of 75mins. This is a good thing for such a pale beer. It'll clear it up a little more. It's a lager after all.rolleyes

Hello Possums

Chad & B10' date=' would you be able to get an SG of your final runnings after the sparge?

.[/quote']

Nope, read the post after the grain was ditched.

I'll try to remember tomorrow when I make a Porter.

Archived