Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2015

Canadian Eh!L

• Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woohoo!

Well I bottled 2 today, tipped 2 cubes into FVs and have almost finished a 100IBU IPA with 150g flameout hops.

Sitting down to enjoy a glass of Mango Pale.

BTW here is a link to that last one in case it wanders away...

In order to help you guys retire the old thread, I've replied here.

Phil' date=' did you estimate or measure your mash pH? If you go to the trouble of working out water additions then you may as well check that your mash pH is in the ballpark.[/quote']

I've gotta be honest, Hairy. I've only at this point taken the mash pH on trust. I have, however, been looking at the pricing of pH meters etc suitable for brewing over the last few weeks (from companies like Hanna, Jenco etc etc). I was hoping to get one that could be used in the mash and the boil for direct readings, but I really can't afford $450+. The other option is one where a sample of the liquid can be cooled to 50C or below and then tested for around the $200 mark or below.

I'll keep looking for other good options (but I don't want to buy cr@p), however over the next week or so I suppose I'll have to make a final decision and action.

Cheers

Phillus

I bought 100 test strips with a pH range of 4.6-6.2 for around $8 from my LHBS. They are not great if you are colour blind but work well enough if you account for the price. I take a very small sample in the tiniest of jars and cool it quickly to 20 degrees then take my reading.

I bought 100 test strips with a pH range of 4.6-6.2 for around $8 from my LHBS. They are not great if you are colour blind but work well enough if you account for the price. I take a very small sample in the tiniest of jars and cool it quickly to 20 degrees then take my reading.

Sometimes the simple way is the right way. wink

"During the Apollo program' date=' NASA spent hundreds of thousands of dollars developing an ink pen that would write reliably in zero-g. The Russians, facing with the same problem, used pencils. "

Cheers.

For me today it was...

Keg Day What Ya Got Eh?!! lol

Well since you asked.... biggrin

I kegged an interesting little pale ale recipe (from my standpoint at least).

Without boring the @#$% out of everyone, the most interesting slant on this particular pale ale I brewed is the lean towards a Belgian malt grist combined with a more new world hop bill.

From my standpoint, what I've brewed with, understood, & noted with a number of base malts is this. Without pigeon-holing, the Americans primarily like to use 2-row/6-row + specialty grains for their malt grists that creates & defines their malt character & style. The Poms lean a lot towards Maris Otter as their base malt of choice that defines their malt character. The Germans seem to use Pilsner, Munich & Vienna malts to define their malt character. In a lot of Belgian style recipes, Aromatic malt is used in preference to each of the other malt variants mentioned earlier.

I don't know how many of you have tried a true Belgian beer that is malted with the Aromatic malt recently, but these beers combined with a malt friendly yeast (usually Belgian based but not always) produce some of the most awesome malt beers I personally have ever sampled.

I've been tippy-toeing with my use of Aromatic thus far, but plan to really up my levels of this grain in future brews as I really like what it gives to the malt flavour of the beers I've used it in so far. When next I use this malt grain, I'll be using over a kilo of it.

The sample from the FV tube I tasted today was really, really good. The aromatics from the Motueka in particular were very nice, & it had a solid malt character for a beer of this ABV. Having not used this hop for a little while, I forgot how nice it is when used for aromatic purposes.

Sorry for the long post. innocent I hope some found my comments useful/interesting.

Lusty.

Hi Hairy.

Without boring the @#$% out of everyone

Too late innocent

lol

Sorry' date=' let me re-phrase that part.

Option A: "Without boring the @#$% out of everyone..."

...& for those that have been on the forum for 4½ years & have almost 6000 posts...

Option B: "Perhaps consider reading another post before going any further..."

You sir may select option B. [img']tongue[/img]

biggrin

Cheers,

Lusty.

Didn't manage to get the CanEhdian PEhle Ehle on the other night so I pitched it from the cube last night.

Also did some record keeping for the ANZAC Ale and noticed that my FG was a few points above where it should have been (assuming approx 75% attenuation with kit yeast). Since the FG on my other batches using kit yeast have typically been no more than 1 point out, I can only guess that this might be a result of the accidental cold crash. Decided to drink the sacrificial yeast-viability-tester to get a feel for what effect this had on the beer, and the tester had a similar sort of aroma to my second-last non-temp-controlled batch (not unpleasant, just a bit yeasty).

I'm hoping this is only because the viability-tester was bottled after 4 days -- the rest of the batch was allowed to sit at 18-20° for bit over another week to allow the yeasties to clean up after themselves. Time will tell I suppose.

Hi Hairy.
Without boring the @#$% out of everyone

Too late innocent

lol

Sorry' date=' let me re-phrase that part.

Option A: "Without boring the @#$% out of everyone..."

...& for those that have been on the forum for 4½ years & have almost 6000 posts...

Option B: "Perhaps consider reading another post before going any further..."

You sir may select option B. [img']tongue[/img]

biggrin

Cheers,

Lusty.

I did select Option B tongue

Not a brew day exactly here today, but a preparation of fermentation day.

Just finished boiling up the yeast starter wort in my 2L flask, and for once I didn't get a volcanic reaction with foam spraying out all over the bloody stove! Was actually able to keep it boiling for about 10 minutes continuously, and quite vigorously too, instead of turning on and off the stove all the time.

11015005_10206375090764698_8424983755463477881_n.jpg?oh=ad741efec299957cff1b9beaf5d051b9&oe=555B2919

I'm only new to the reproduction game (for yeast, you filthy minded sniggerers), but I've taken a slightly different approach.

• Using a 2 litre capacity saucepan with well-fitting lid, boil 1 litre water. Add 5 heaped tablespoons LDM (about 100g), and dissolve using spoon/whisk. Cover & simmer for 10+ mins.

• Place covered saucepan in sink of cold water. Renew with new cold water after approx 15-20 mins.

• Using 1 litre E-flask soak with Starsan, cover top with foil, regularly shake so all inner surfaces are covered Also spray foil, and outside top third of flask.

• Drain starsan out, pour in room-temp malt liquor, sprinkle in or pour in yeast, and recover with foil. Place on stir plate.

• 24 hours later (prob 36+ in cooler months), make up another litre of malted solution, add to 2 litre flask for next step, maintaining hygeine as much as possible).

I'm not trying to change your method, OtBlot, but I just don't like the idea of putting an E-flask directly over a stove gas burner. I'm sure you get great results too, but I'm a chicken. smile

Cheers mate.

Edit: This is the MJ Dark Newcastle Ale yeast after about 65 hrs.

Starter190215.jpg

I have no problem with it, because that's exactly what they're designed for. Mostly for use in science labs with bunsen burners rather than gas stoves, but essentially the same thing. I don't turn the stove on full bore and I use a small burner as well, so it doesn't go overboard. Certainly saves on a lot of faffing about with saucepans and starsan anyway. smile

I took Gibbo's picturesque advice, and I think I've just begat an egg with foetal alcohol syndrome. Last time I listen to him!

I'm trying to hide my (dis)temper, 'cos my hops/yeast/grain order should have arrived today via Fastway, and I'm getting really peed off since this is the second time in the last 3 orders that have been delayed for at least one day according to their online tracking system.

Hey Phil' date=' when using the Starsan on the foil, did you notice any discolouring of the foil? [img']unsure[/img]

Not an immediate thing, but over the course of your starter time length to pitching?

Cheers,

Lusty.

No mate. It doesn't seem to affect it, although I would say the max I've tried between beginning the starter and either pitching (or placing in a sanitised bottle in the fridge) would be about 3 or 3.5 days if I had to guess.

Sorry to interrupt the flow...

I couldn't help it, & just sampled a glass of the recipe I provided a link to in post#10 of this thread.

Holy F'ing shite!! is the only comment that comes to mind right now. Please repeat. This recipe was never set out to produce anything great. It was sort of a clean-up brew.

I'm very humble (most of the time) about what I think I brew that is anything worthwhile that I might suggest onto other brewers to take a look at.

I'm not even going to provide a link to this recipe. Please erase any memory of this post.

Holy F'ing shite!!

Lusty.

Archived