Coopers Community

Here you go Lusty - my Red ale recipe

Otto Von Blotto

Looks awesome mate! I was gonna say it looks a bit dark for no crystal or caraaroma in there but I remembered there is an addition of black patent as well. Good to hear it's tasting good though! I'd suggest having another crack at it once you can get some Caraaroma though, so you get an idea of the real recipe. I ferment mine with 1469 now as I find it brings out the malt a little more but still creates a refreshing beer. cool

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do Mark! I have done an inadvertent experiment on the current batch of it as noted in other threads... even from the near FG sample I can say that it is at its best with 1469 yeast, fermented around 18-19C. It tastes like a pale ale with 1272 yeast, which was what the recipe originally intended until I tasted the flavours of the Caraaroma love

Hope so too mate , No idea what class to all it really in Brewersfriend but meh ...i'll just drink it and decide what it is then

You don't dry hop yours at all do you ?

The other grainbill i picked up today was for a LCPA inspired APA that i'll use cascade , cent and topaz that i bought on a whim since i've never tried it , may even throw some coopers commercial yeast at that and see what happens

• 5 months later...

Great stuff mate, glad to hear it being enjoyed by everyone! What changes are you making this time around? Next time I brew it I may have to slightly change the hops a bit as I don't have any Cascade left aside from my home grown ones, but I need to build a mesh basket for the urn to use those in a boil again, otherwise they just clog up the outlet when I'm trying to drain to the cube.

Great stuff mate' date=' glad to hear it being enjoyed by everyone! What changes are you making this time around? Next time I brew it I may have to slightly change the hops a bit as I don't have any Cascade left aside from my home grown ones, but I need to build a mesh basket for the urn to use those in a boil again, otherwise they just clog up the outlet when I'm trying to drain to the cube. [/quote']

Subbing the cararoma for carabohemian and reducing the MO to add some munich 1 for a bit more malty backbone and help boost the body , other few adjustments to suit the system as well .

Will be using up some cascade flowers i have as well but in a spider for same reason

I need to brew this, I love a red ale and I love Cascade and Centennial. I have some WLP006 Bedford ale on the go that should suit it well.

One question. I have in stock Carabohemian, never used it yet, extra dark UK crystal, and Caramunich I. But not caraamber. Any suggestions as to what would work best, and how much? Should I order some caraamber? I'm tempted to try Carabohemian.

I don't know much about Carabohemian; Caramunich I isn't anywhere close to Caraaroma... the closest out of them I would suggest would be the UK dark crystal.

Thanks for the feedback. I figured that would be the case, given the EBC. I'll chew on it, I may wait and get the Caraamber on my next order. Our UK crystals are very different from the German cara malts, it seems to me. I have Special B, but that's very different again.

It'll come back to what you want in the glass at the end .

Carabo is great and i have it so i'll use it

EBC is different so adjust quantity to suit and it doesn't have the slight burnt toffee notes you find in caraaroma .

I won't use the roast barley as i want a clean crisp beer without any traces of roast so i'm using carafa 2 purely for colour adjustment

I'm adding munich 1 to help balance the beer and add a little extra mouthfeel but caramunich will add too much sweetness and would ruin the balance

I'd suggest brewing the original recipe before you go changing it and only then adjust it to suit your tastes and / or equipment

Never used WLP006 so can't comment on that

It'll come back to what you want in the glass at the end .

Carabo is great and i have it so i'll use it

EBC is different so adjust quantity to suit and it doesn't have the slight burnt toffee notes you find in caraaroma .

I won't use the roast barley as i want a clean crisp beer without any traces of roast so i'm using carafa 2 purely for colour adjustment

I'm adding munich 1 to help balance the beer and add a little extra mouthfeel but caramunich will add too much sweetness and would ruin the balance

I'd suggest brewing the original recipe before you go changing it and only then adjust it to suit your tastes and / or equipment

Never used WLP006 so can't comment on that

Cheers Mark. I'm not sure about basing quantities of grain on colour, unless I'm confident about knowing the effect it will have on flavour and balance. If I do use carabo I may just accept a different colour outcome. I have some carafa III though. It's all up for grabs.

I'm pretty confident the 006 will do a good job.

I'm with Mark on brewing the original recipe first. I usually do that when I'm trying someone else's recipe for the first time and then change stuff later if I want to. You are right that the UK crystal malts are different to the German ones. Their flavor doesn't seem to be as intense.

The original original recipe of this beer (in the first post of the thread) was actually fermented with US-05 for a while, until Lusty prompted me to try some English ale strains in it instead. I first tried 1318 but that left it too sweet, then tried 1469 which produced a slightly drier and more balanced beer but still allowing the malt to dominate a little bit more than the hops. The grains and hops have never changed since the first time I brewed it though.

I'm lucky enough to be able to consistently replicate this beer each time I brew it too, and just finished carbonating a fresh keg of it which is now on tap. I poured a little sampler last night to check carbonation and it's as good as always biggrin

Cheers

Kelsey

The original original recipe of this beer (in the first post of the thread) was actually fermented with US-05 for a while' date=' until Lusty prompted me to try some English ale strains in it instead. I first tried 1318 but that left it too sweet, then tried 1469 which produced a slightly drier and more balanced beer but still allowing the malt to dominate a little bit more than the hops. The grains and hops have never changed since the first time I brewed it though.

[/quote']

I think there are a few British yeasts that could suit this. Drier than 1318, and possibly better suited than 1469 too. 1728 and WLP028, the two Scottish ales yeasts. WLP007 perhaps. 1099 Whitbread II. Maybe WLP 051/1272. And WLP006.

My avatar pic is an ale I brewed with 90% UK pale malt and 10% Caramunich I. Bittered with Brewers Gold, Cascade and Centennial late, US05. It was very nice indeed.

Enjoy your fresh keg!

I actually fermented a batch with 1272 recently' date=' by accident, and it was nothing like it is with 1469. Not in a good way either, the malt was too muted and it was too fruity. I love 1272 in APAs but it doesn't suit this recipe at all. [/quote']

That's interesting and useful info, thanks. Best to go for English yeasts then, perhaps.

They do seem to suit it better yeah; that 1272 batch tasted so different that I wasn't even sure what batch it actually was. It was fermented that way due to a mix up with the cubes, and at times I thought it was the pale ale.

When I first made the recipe up it was actually intended to taste like an APA but look red, but when I tasted the flavor from the Caraaroma, it went away from that. I persisted with US-05 for a while but once I tried the English yeasts the beer improved. The hops are still noticeable, but not as forward as they are in an APA.

Now I don't really know what it would be classed as, given it contains English and German malts, American hops and English yeast, so I just call it a red ale. lol

Archived