Coopers Community

Here you go Lusty - my Red ale recipe

Otto Von Blotto

Hi Lusty,

Looks good mate. biggrin

Yeah the Magnum is only a bittering addition so that substitute shouldn't affect anything. On paper it looks like it should turn out something pretty much the same as what I get when I brew it.

I look forward to hearing how it turns out, and I hope you enjoy the finished beer as much as I have the times I've brewed it over the last year and a half since I first came up with it. happy

By the way, I'm enjoying a glass of the latest batch of it right now. w00t

Definitely is better with Cascade hops though.

Cheers

Kelsey

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RedAle-In-The-Hole.jpg

biggrin

All appeared to go well on brew day. happy

Looking forward to this one.

Cheers' date='

Lusty.[/quote']

Um, I like Red Ales but I don't think they should be used in an enema unsure

But I did see a story on someone addicted to coffee enemas, so whatever floats your boat.

Um' date=' I like Red Ales but I don't think they should be used in an enema [img']unsure[/img]

But I did see a story on someone addicted to coffee enemas, so whatever floats your boat.

I don't think the gentleman in the photograph was referring to it quite in the context you have suggested there Hairy. lol

But interpretation is open to everyone, so in your case Hairy, I guess your boat floats down wind a little further than most! tongue

P.S. So Hairy, what are the floats like this year over there for the Sydney G&L Mardi Gras? unsurewhistling

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hi Kelsey.

I already know it's gonna be good, coz it's the recipe you put up ahead of others of yours that I reckon would make some really nice beers. wink

The colour was really good once I combined the mini-mash with the LME/LDM portion prior to pitching the yeast, so I reckon the reddish hue is pretty much a cert! cool

Coincidentally, I used your yeast starter splitting method with the US-05, albeit from a 2.2L starter, so will be interesting to monitor my brew gravity, & that of the following US-05 brew using the 500ml portion I poured off for the next starter etc. The 'no rinsing' aspect is what grabbed me most about the technique.

First time using CaraAroma too, so a lot to look forward to over the next few months.

Thanks again,

Lusty.

Yes, I have created some other recipes that have produced excellent beers, but this is one of the few that I brew regularly so I figured it was the best one to put up. My porter recipe is another one I really enjoy. happy

The combo of the Caraaroma and black patent (or roasted barley as you have), seems to have worked excellently to give that deep red hue. Caraaroma is my go-to crystal when I make beers like this, for some reason it seems to add a lot more of that caramelly/toffee sweetness than other types of equally dark crystal. For pale ales though I just use normal light/medium crystal.

Nice one. I'm waiting on my 3L flask which I will use on future starters, as it will have more capacity for making them about 500mL bigger than needed in order to harvest from them. It sounds from reading others comments on using this process that they are really happy with the performance of the yeast and the resultant beers brewed from this harvested yeast. The no rinsing aspect of this was what got me to try it too, it's a way easier method for getting multiple reuses.

Cheers

Kelsey

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kelsey. smile

I bottled my version of your Red Ale recipe earlier today. FV sample tasted good with a really nice malty aroma that I was expecting & hoping for. The malt side is a little separated at this point as should be expected & will likely meld & reach a nice balance in 3-4 months time I expect, just in time for winter drinking! cool

This is not a beer to be drinking early like a lot of the pale ales I brew, so I'm glad I went to the trouble of bottling it. First time I've bottled a full batch in a while, even with longnecks, what a PITA! Haha! lol

The timing was right to test a few areas of my brewhouse & methods in regards to sanitation & carbonation. I've bottled the 30 longnecks from 2 different bottle sources, 3 different ways. If anything decisive comes from this little experiment, I'll post something noting what I observed.

I'll update on the beer itself, & hopefully its nice reddish hue down the track. wink

Thanks for sharing the recipe mate! happy

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hey Lusty,

Good to hear mate. biggrin Sounds promising from the sample taste too.

I have to admit, this beer usually is one that I can't wait to start drinking, so it doesn't get aged very long most times. lol However, I agree with your comments there and should probably restrain myself better whistling. Bit easier now that there's only one of me drinking it though.

This is about the only beer I consistently brew that always turns out crystal clear too. I don't know what it is, but there must be something in the ingredients I use in this beer that I don't use in any other beers that is doing that.

Anyway, I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the brew when you get around to tasting it carbed and chilled. happy And no problem at all!

Cheers

Kelsey

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Kelsey

I know I'm not BeerLust, but I just couldn't help jumping on the bandwagon here.

I pitched the yeast into my attempt at your Red Ale at 13:30. I almost got the recipe spot on too, the major mistake was I used only 70g of Black Patent instead of 75g, that's on account that Beersmith rounded the 0.075 down to 0.070kg. I thought I'd used Caraaroma before but after smelling it I doubt it, a beautiful aroma.

I got 1.041 OG and pitched my rehydrated US05 into 25 litres of wort at 22 degrees Celsius. My first 90 minute mash, 66 degreesand maintained pretty well as my Coleman Cooler Mash Tun was almost at capacity, only a about litre of headspace. Did some water correction too as that is my latest fad. Looks Ruby Red at the minute (or does it) can't wait till it clears.

Otto's Squaw Red Ale

7.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 90.0 mins) Water Agent 1 -

6.00 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 90.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -

4.20 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 3 91.8 %

0.30 kg Caraaroma (256.1 EBC) Grain 4 6.6 %

0.07 kg Black (Patent) Malt (985.0 EBC) Grain 5 1.6 %

20.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - First Wort 90.0 min Hop 6 13.3 IBUs

10.00 g Magnum [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 12.5 IBUs

20.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 8 12.7 IBUs

0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 9 -

1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 10

Will have to go commando with the Dry Hop as I haven't a hop bag on hand and can't be bothered ordering one.

IMG_04961_zpsj8ghbupr.jpg

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

The last couple of batches' date=' I've left out the Carapils due to not having any, [/quote']

I don't have MO, but I do have caraaroma, munich, pils, ale, roast.

I understand MO has a more malty flavour than your average aussi ale malt?

Half Ale/ Munich II?

Hey Scottie,

I reckon it'll be fine. 5g isn't really much in the grand scheme of things. It will be interesting to see what impact the water additions have. I don't modify my water, although it'd be different to yours anyway. Looks good in there in that pic! biggrin

I reckon you could probably sub the MO for that mix Ben without it changing the flavour much. I figure most of this beer's noticeable flavours come from the Caraaroma and the hops additions.

Cheers

Kelsey

Caraaroma (256.1 EBC)

Black (Patent) Malt (985.0 EBC)

My Weyerman Caraaoma is 350 and Beersmith has it as that as well.

Do you have a BSMX file for this? I add the recipe as you state and get a different colour.

Caraaroma (256.1 EBC)

Black (Patent) Malt (985.0 EBC)

My Weyerman Caraaoma is 350 and Beersmith has it as that as well.

Do you have a BSMX file for this? I add the recipe as you state and get a different colour.

Those were the default Beersmith numbers, I never thought to change them until Lusty pointed out that his grains had different specs. I checked them out on Craftbrewer's site where I bought them, and changed them accordingly. They state Caraaroma at being 350-450 EBC, so I just put it as 380, and the Black Patent at 1300.

The beer colour should be around 34-35 EBC after those refinements.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm inspired to brew a variation of this as my next batch as well. The recipe I am going with is as follows.

Stats

Volume into fermenter: 10.5 litres

OG: 1.043 (70% efficiency)

IBUs: 35.1

Colour: 38.8 EBC

Mash: Single infustion @66C for 60 mins + batch sparge

Boil: 60 mins

Grain

1810g Thomas Fawcett Maris Otter

135g Weyermann Caraaroma

90g Weyermann Carapils

30g Baird's Roasted Barley

Hops

10g Cascade (9.1% AA) @FWH - 23.8 IBUs

10g Centennial (9.6% AA) @15mins - 11.3 IBUs

15g Cascade dry hop

Yeast

Repitched WLP006 Bedford British

Looking forward to brewing this one! I'll keep the fermentation temperature a little lower (17C) to minimize the esters from the British yeast.

...I'll keep the fermentation temperature a little lower (17C) to minimize the esters from the British yeast.

Be careful about going too low with some of the British Ale yeasts. Despite being a cold climate weather-wise in the UK a lot of the time' date=' I don't think a lot of the British Ale yeasts have acclimatized too well yet! [img']tongue[/img]

Good luck with the brew. I'm enjoying a few glasses of it as I type this. biggrin

P.S. Try & leave the cat out of this one! lol

Cheers,

Lusty.

Thanks for the tip Lusty! White Labs says recommended temperature range is from 18 to 21C. I think my batch of yeast is pretty strong and healthy now it's on its third generation. The current APA has had quite a vigorous fermentation at 18C. I'll start this one at 17C and if it is going a bit too slow for my liking, I'll bump it up to 18C.

Haha I think you mean 'try to keep the cat out of this one'. As you can see, he's a bit of a soak sideways

How did the colour of your batch turn out in the end? Does the roasted barley produce that nice red colour that the black patent Kelsey uses does?

Cheers,

John

How did the colour of your batch turn out in the end? Does the roasted barley produce that nice red colour that the black patent Kelsey uses does?

It does. The EBC's of Black Patent & Roasted Barley are very similar' date=' so when used in small amounts they will throw that hue. I plan to have a tipple again later today so will endeavour to get a nice shot of it in the glass if I can, & post it.

Trust in Kelsey's recipe though. After all, he doesn't hide anything, the red ale is his avatar picture! [img']wink[/img]

I noticed when viewing the White Labs yeasts, that they only offer an "optimum fermentation temperature range" with each yeast. To me that says there is a wider range it will ferment at, but what that is who the heck knows? unsure

I prefer Wyeast's wider disclosed fermentation temperature range listed for their yeasts, as it gives a truer indication of where the boundaries really are.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Looks like a nice recipe mate! Mostly the same of course except for the bittering addition not being in there but that shouldn't affect it. Hope it turns out really well for you. Look forward to a possible pic of your one too Lusty!

As for those yeast temps, I didn't realise that about White Labs. The Brulosopher actually made a point about this in one (or more) of his posts, he ferments his lager recipes with one of the WL strains, I can't remember which now, a hybrid of some type I think, but he goes a few degrees (F) under the recommended range and has no problems, so that would suggest there is a wider range they can ferment at outside the stated optimum. What that is though, as you say is anyone's guess.

Given it's an AG recipe converted to an extract/partial, & I accidentally brewed it to 24.5 litres instead of my planned 23 litres, I reckon it's turned out well. The reddish hue suffered a bit I think from the extra volume I brewed.

RedSquaw_RedAle.jpg

Not the best pic. I think I need to take a Ben10 photography class! wink

Still drinks great though! biggrin

Lusty.

Archived