Coopers Community

yeast ?? from a newbie

georgeky

bought the European lager kit with the supplyed yeast it's says 12 weeks to mature ! holy sheep shet i can't wait that long i'm almost out of the Canadian blonde !

so can i use a different yeast to speed things up and still have a good beer ?

it's brewing now but very slow activity in the air lock...i guess thats common with this strain of yeast ?

Hi George.

The Euro Lager kit contains a true lager yeast, so yes you won't see as explosive activity during fermentation, and it does take longer than an ale. If you've already got it underway, there isn't much point adding a different yeast. At the end of the day, it's up to you when you drink the beer.

Lagers are traditionally stored at low temperatures for months before they're consumed. Most of us don't have the capacity to store a whole batch in a fridge for 3 months. I use a different process for brewing lagers, they get stored in the fermenter after fermentation is done, for about 5 weeks at 0C before I bottle them.

On a final note, ignore the airlock. They would have to be the most unreliable piece of equipment, at least in regard to indicating ferment activity, in all of brewing. Handy for keeping the brew sealed from the outside elements, but that's about it. Neither of the ones I used ever bubbled at all, but the brews still fermented (gas escaped through a leaky lid or leaky airlock grommet). Use your hydrometer to monitor fermentation progress; how long ago did you make up this brew and pitch the yeast?

Hi G

OtBlot knows a lot. I'm just wondering, from your question, what temp you are fermenting the beer? I hope you are aware that lager yeasts usually give the best results at lower temperatures than ale yeasts (commonly under 15C)? Just thought I should check, because fermenting a Euro Lager at 18 degrees or above is just not (World Cup) cricket!

Cheers

how long ago did you make up this brew and pitch the yeast?

just been 24 hours...so i'll go ahead as planed and sample in 3 weeks see where it's at.

i have another can i could start today ...but i only have distillers yeast and bread yeast on hand .

Hi G

OtBlot knows a lot. I'm just wondering' date=' from your question, what temp you are fermenting the beer? I hope you are aware that lager yeasts usually give the best results at lower temperatures than ale yeasts (commonly under 15C)? Just thought I should check, because fermenting a Euro Lager at 18 degrees or above is just not (World Cup) cricket!

Cheers[/quote']

looks like 17C i'm in the US so i googled a C TO F CHART LOL

Ok fair enough. I think that sounds like the plan. Fermenting a beer with distillers or bread yeast could be interesting. I wouldn't do it, it would probably turn out less than desirable.

If you can get it down around 13-15C you'll probably find it tastes a bit better. That's somewhere around 56-60F I think. (I have a few American friends so I've had to know the conversions lol)

Antiphile is right, most of the time lagers are fermented between 10 and 12C. (50-54F) This is generally most easily achieved with a temperature controlled fridge, though.

Anyway good luck with the brew, I'm sure it will turn out fine!

Cheers

Kelsey

thanks for all the help guys

i've left it alone its 6 days in so i took a reading and it needs a few more days to ferment.

i had to have a taste and man o man this is going to be good !

one thing i did not mention was i used light brown sugar 2lbs to one can of UPL with the supplied yeast 6 us gallons of water....just from what i seeing and tasting the next batch will be done the same way !

heck it even had a good head already ! lol

Tasting gravity samples is a good idea. It gives you an idea of what the beer will end up like, and is one way of checking for possible infection, so keep that up.

Using that much sugar is not. In almost all cases this leads to a very thin, watery beer that doesn't hold a head. It can also lead to cidery flavors if fermented at too high a temperature. The gravity samples often foam up and appear to have a good head, but if you leave it sit for a few minutes, it quickly disappears, which is what will happen in the glass most likely.

If you ditch the sugar and replace it with the same amount of malt extract, you'll most likely find your beers will be much better. And they'll hold a better head in the glass too. wink

If you ditch the sugar and replace it with the same amount of malt extract' date=' you'll most likely find your beers will be much better. And they'll hold a better head in the glass too. [img']wink[/img]

you mite be right it did taste good but a little watery and the head did not last long..hopfully it will be better over the next few weeks .

i used BE2 on the blonde and it came out super ..i'll try the malt extract on the next batch ! i'm hooked on this coopers stuff !

]Reading a PB2 post, the reason the instructions for the Euro Lager say wait 12 weeks is to get rid of the rotten egg gas flavour that the customers were complaining about. I suspect that this was from fermenting at higher temps than textbook lager temps. So if you can lower ferment temps you should be able to drink much sooner than 12 weeks.

It will get better with time in the bottles definitely. Easy way to look at it is, things like table sugar, brown sugar, dextrose etc will produce a thin, watery beer. Using malt extract will produce a beer with a fuller body and better flavour.

From my experience brewing lagers, it doesn't take anywhere near 12 weeks to get rid of the eggy smell, and lager yeast will produce it even at proper lager fermenting temperatures. I have looked inside my brew fridge during lager ferments and been hit with the smell a few times.lol

The 12 weeks would be derived from the tradition of lagering, or storing, these batches for months in cold temperatures before they were consumed. As I understand it these days, this process is shortened but also happens before packaging. To replicate this in the bottle you'd need a fridge you could store all the bottles in and leave them in it for the 12 weeks (after carbonation of course). I do my low temp lagering in the FV before bottling, for 5 weeks usually, so there's no real use me leaving them in the bottles for another 3 months. In fact I've found they seem to better around the 4-5 week mark than they are at 3 months.

Cheers

Kelsey

I will leave the kegging advice for someone else' date=' that isn't something I know about yet.

That's a good storage temperature for it though, I'm guessing you are force carbing? It will need to be kept warmer if you are naturally carbing i.e. secondary fermentation like you would in bottles.[/quote']

yes force carbing ...i really do appreciate all the advise ...looks like a user friendly forum happy

With my last lager I left it in the keg at -2C for only 2 weeks force carbed over a week and it was fine maybe a little yeasty though still good. I only have 2 kegs so need a quick turn around probably not the best way to go about it though it has produced a couple of good brews.

Cheers

I wouldn't use distillers yeast. I mean, it'll ferment fine, but who knows whether the beer would taste any good?

It takes a little while to build a stockpile of brews when you first start out. I know it's tempting to just chuck whatever you've got together to do it quickly but patience prevails in the end, knowing you've got decent beer each batch. Even if you do have to go without for a few days. wink

• 2 weeks later...

i kegged after 20 days of primary ..ABV was 5% clear as it could be darker color than i expected smelled just a little eggy taste just a bit off (no carb) but still good i think in 30 more days carbonating 20psi in the keg it will be killer !

CAM00502_zpsgspvxnds.jpg

Archived