Coopers Community

Sediment Reduction hint

c49815

I want to share something with you that works for me in reducing unwanted sediment in the bottled product.

After a couple of days into the fermentation process, tilt the fementer backwards slighty (away from the tap) and slide under the front a piece of timber (or similar) about 30cm long and 20-25mm thick. This will tilt the whole thing backwards by only about 4-5 degrees, but over the next couple of days most of the sediment will work its way to the 'back' of the fementer and stay there during bottling.

I've done this for a few brews now and estimate the sediment collected in the bottling stage is reduced by up to 75%, even with a sediment filter installed behind the tap.

If you're using a heat mat under the fermenter (like we need to do in cold Canberra), slide the piece of timber under the heat mat instead of directly under the barrel.

Works for me.

Richo

Canberra

(Member No. 49815)

Good stuff Richo! 8)

Chuck out that sediment reducer! Does nothing!!!

I reckon the tilting is a great idea.

I tilt my glass carboy (when I use it) forward with 2 rubber door wedges when siphoning into my bottling bucket.

I leave the brew for up to 3 weeks now before bottling and they're crystal clear!

Cheers,

Luke.

Nice one Richo! I agree with Luke - the sediment reducer is not required.

Also, it's not such a great idea to heat the sediment directly. Try placing the heating source near the fermenting vessel and keep in an insulated cabinet (I use a second hand fridge). Having said that, if you haven't noticed any funky flavours or aromas coming through on the brews that have sat on the heatpad - keep doing what you are doing :wink:

Archived