Coopers Community

Has anybody tried Murray's FRED IPA?

Brownsworthy

G'day guys

Just wondering if anyone has tried Murray's FRED IPA it is now definitely my absolute favourite and have been trying to find out what hops and malts would be best used to clone it. I don't have the most discerning pallet ( as some may have figured from my hefeweizen experience) so was hoping someone who has more experience may have tried it and might have a better idea than myself.

The only thing that I can find is that they use US Pacific Northwest hops.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and anyone who likes hoppy American pale ales/ IPA's should get on it it's a cracker!!

Cheers

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried the Fred IPA on tap at Murray's Brewery while on holidays at Port Stephens recently. I am only a new brewer so I can't help you with any hops,etc they use, but I agree with you. It's a very nice beer and I'd be keen to have crack at making a clone sometime.

Hoops.

Thanks guys

From reading a fair few of your posts Ben I reckon it'd be right up your alley it certainly has been aggressively late/dry hopped, still has a fair amount of bitterness and a little sweetness from the malt.

I like it so much that I changed my photo from that ugly bloke with the hedge trimmer to it. As you can see I couldn't resist drinking some before I took the photo.

Hey Hoops did you do the tour, how was it? I'm hoping to get up there within the next couple of weeks myself and do it hopefully I can lean on one of the staff to squeeze 'em for some info on what goes into itdevil

Cheers

Hi Brownsworthy,

had lunch there with a few mates and the wifeys. Had a pint of the Fred IPA and the Whale Ale. Couldn't do the tour due to time constraints but will lock it in for next year's visit. I reckon it would be interesting (and educational) but will probably fuel my addiction to brewing even more.

Enjoyed the lunch and the beers, recommend this place to anyone.

I also concur with FRED IPA being a great drop, have been trying to find someone with a good clone myself. Best beer i've had at Murray's - and that's pretty good considering how many great brew they do.

Hope someone can help out with a recipe soon.

Im only a kit brewing, experimenting with some steeped grains and boiling and dry hopping.

I also concur with FRED IPA being a great drop' date=' have been trying to find someone with a good clone myself. Best beer i've had at Murray's - and that's pretty good considering how many great brew they do.

Hope someone can help out with a recipe soon.

Im only a kit brewing, experimenting with some steeped grains and boiling and dry hopping.[/quote']

G'day Andrew

I'm a kit brewer as well and I will not rest till I create or find a great recipe for FRED but for now I must go to bed.

Good night all

I am going to have to find this beer. The in-laws are holidaying at Nelson Bay this week so I may have to get them to drop in.

I really like their Icon2 IPA so if it is anywhere near as good as that it should be nice.

You can also try emailing the brewery. They may not give you the exact recipe but might give you some pointers.

I am going to have to find this beer. The in-laws are holidaying at Nelson Bay this week so I may have to get them to drop in.

I really like their Icon2 IPA so if it is anywhere near as good as that it should be nice.

You can also try emailing the brewery. They may not give you the exact recipe but might give you some pointers.

G'day Hairy

I reckon it's better than icon so you should enjoy it I'm only just over 1/2 an hour away from Murray's and still haven't been up there yet though will be next week and can't wait!

Cheers

Hi Brownsworthy.

OK, you've got me into this beer now...

I've put in a fair bit of time today looking into what might get close to a recipe for this beer. There is little disclosure about the specifics of the recipe, but they've disclosed enough for me to offer up something I would brew that I know would get somewhere in the same ballpark. wink

The malt bill discloses Pale, crystal & wheat.

To reach the 5.6% bottled ABV along with the EBC I noted in the pic you posted & brewing to 23 litres, something like the following malt bill will achieve that from an extract base...

Coopers Liquid Light Malt Extract 1.5kg

Coopers Liquid Amber Malt Extract 1.5kg

Light Dry Malt Extract 500gms

Wheat Dry Malt Extract 250gms

CaraMalt grain (steeped) 250gms

US-05 x 2 packets (or US-05 + a Coopers kit yeast packet)

That should give you an OG around 1.056 & depending on yeast attenuation, an FG at approx. 1.016 achieving the ABV of 5.6% listed on the Murray's website for this beer.

The tricky part is the hop schedule & the hops used for this beer. I tormented myself for a short time about how I might structure a schedule for this beer, before I came to my senses about possibly the best way to approach this.

For sheer simplicity that will yield a fantastic result in this scenario, look into using a "proprietary" hop blend throughout the hopping process.

Proprietary blends of hops are very rarely spoken of here on the forum, & yet they offer some awesome outcomes when used in a number of primarily American styled pale & IPA beers. When used in these styles of beer they take a lot of the guesswork out of constructing a suitable hop bill off your own back. There are a small number of proprietary hop blends available. The most notable for purchase are Falconer's Flight, & Zythos.

The two links I provided are to Craftbrewer's hop availability listing. Both are currently available. I've personally used the Falconer's Flight blend in a number of APA's/IPA's & loved what it gave! cool

Given the hop flavour profile listed by Murray's for this beer, I'd buy the Zythos, bitter hop addition it to approx. 50-55IBU & use additions of the same from 20mins down to flameout to achieve the 75IBU noted for the recipe.

I'm gonna brew this mother myself in the near future, it sounds that good! cool

I hope that helps Brownsworthy.

Lusty.

Falconer's Flight' date=' & Zythos.

The two links I provided are to Craftbrewer's hop availability listing. Both are currently available. I've personally used the Falconer's Flight blend in a number of APA's/IPA's & loved what it gave! cool

Falconers Flight is very good.

Although $9.90 for 90g is not.

http://nationalhomebrew.com.au/beer/hops/other-hops-falconers-flight-usa-100g has 100g for $6.

Edit : Lusty, the Coopers Amber malt is already crystal heavy - do you not find that plus extra crystal too much?

I always preferred to use light malt in recipes and adjust colour etc with specialty malts. It is easy to do and adds some extra freshness to the beer.

I have never used Zythos before but may have to add it to the 'to do' list. But I have used Falconers Flight a few times. I bought some from Craftbrewer and liked it so much I bought 500g from Yob (at a pretty good price).

I will wait to see if my in-laws return with a bottle (amongst others) and will see what I can pick out of it. I am pretty shit at doing that but will give it a go.

Hi Ben.

Lusty' date=' the Coopers Amber malt is already crystal heavy - do you not find that plus extra crystal too much?[/quote']

I'm hearin' ya Ben.

That said, to call the Coopers Amber Malt Extract "crystal heavy" is not entirely true. I must admit for a long period of time I myself was fearful of using this extract in preference to the light. Through using this malt extract over & over, I no longer hold that view.

To cut a long story short, the malt bill Brownsworthy should approach is very similar to the malt bill discussed on the forum for the Karl Strauss Pale Ale. It's not entirely dissimilar.

My main reason for offering up a "sweeter" bill is purely based on the description on the Murray's website that states...

...An assertive bitterness is balanced by the sweetness of the pale' date=' crystal and wheat malt additions.[/quote']

The colour in the glass supplied by Brownsworthy + that description leads me down a certain path.

I don't offer 'exacts', but I'm pretty good most of the time to get you close & in the same ballpark.

Lusty.

Proprietary blends of hops are very rarely spoken of here on the forum' date=' & yet they offer some awesome outcomes when used in a number of primarily American styled pale & IPA beers. When used in these styles of beer they take a lot of the guesswork out of constructing a suitable hop bill off your own back. There are a small number of proprietary hop blends available. The most notable for purchase are Falconer's Flight, & Zythos.

I am only on my second brew now but I'm looking for my next. I think this will be the one. I have a couple questions about the hops.

I looked up the two hops you listed. Zythos is listed as a Bittering hops at 10.9% Alpha. Falconer's Flight has two blends, Falconer's Flight at 11% Alpha and Falconers Flight 7C's Blend at 9.5% Alpha. Both Falconer's Flight hops are listed both Bittering and Aroma.

What would be the boiling schedule for hopping this recipe using either blend?

Would you add an aroma hops to the schedule if you chose the Zythos?

If you choose the Falconer's Flight would you boil some and also steep some?

Could you use Zythos for bittering and Falconer's Flight for aroma?

If you are going for aroma would you use the lower Alpha of the two Falconer's Flights?

Thanks, I'm trying to learn.

Al

I would use either of them for both bittering, flavour and aroma. I don't think Zythos is purely a bittering hop, it would also pack a nice punch in flavour and aroma.

If doing an extract beer (i.e. not a pre-hopped kit) then you will need to boil the hops for bitterness. I would do a 60 minute (or at least 45 minute) boil with enough hops to deliver 50-60% of your desired IBU.

Then add some at 20 minutes to go and a heap at 10 or 5 minutes and flame out to deliver the rest of the IBUs. Then dry hop with a heap as well, like 100g.

You will have a lot of late hops in this beer and be a hop monster. If you don't want it too hoppy then increase the bitterness of the 60 minute addition and back off the late additions and dry hop.

Sounds good fellas

That sounds like a pretty good start to me lusty thanks heaps mate I also like Hairy's idea starting with the light and adding the specialty grains and hop schedule. Falconers Flight sounds close from the descriptions I've read though I'm sure I noticed some peach, melon in it. My mate did a brew with it and he loved it I've got a couple of Freds in the fridge and he's coming around this arvo I'll have to see what he reckons.

Thanks again fellas I truly would have been still twiddling my thumbs and wondering how to go about it for weeks this gives us a pretty good start and me more confidence in producing something close to the original.

Let us know what you reckon Hairy, for me it's one of the ones that I'm going to hate to give one away to my mate this arvo but I'm gonna love his reaction to it.

Cheers Nathan

G'day guys,

So I've ordered Falconers Flight and Zythos from craft brewer, it was a little dearer though national homebrew only had FF I thought I would save on shipping that way, grabbed all the malts outlined by Lusty except Caramalt LHBS didn't have it.

Lots of other Cara's though wasn't sure what would be the best substitute- what'd you reckon Lusty? Hairy? Anyone?

Cheers

Hi Brownsworthy.

Lots of other Cara's though wasn't sure what would be the best substitute- what'd you reckon Lusty? Hairy? Anyone?

The pure grain addition I mentioned in the recipe is based around creating a similar colour (EBC) to that displayed in your picture' date=' & keeping inline with what Murray's disclosed about the malt grist for the recipe. The recipe suggestion I put forward was/is the most simplistic way I would approach cloning a beer like this for a first attempt.

If you're not overly concerned with colour, just ask your LHBS for a light crystal malt grain. It's only 250gms worth (in my recipe suggestion) & will only affect EBC by a couple of points at most at that volume.

P.S. Craftbrewer pack their hops in vac-sealed [u']foil[/u] bags (best quality), & I have no problems paying a few extra bucks for that quality on arrival in the rare situations I use their service(s).

I'm gonna throw a Zythos based brew together of this in the next month or so. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

Brilliant!

Thanks again Lusty I really do appreciate your assistance mate. Hopefully I receive my hops before the weekend so that I can put something together then. Still not to sure whether to use Zythos just for bittering then the FF for flavour/aroma or do two single hop brews.

I'm leaning towards the latter to get a feel for either hop and I get more beer!w00t

Cheers

Well the in-laws delivered two cold bottles of Fred IPA. One stayed in the fridge and the other is now in my belly devil

Very nice beer!

Brownsworthy, the colour of your beer in the photo looks darker than it does in real life; it is more of a dark orangey honey colour.

When you first taste it it comes across as quite sweet but then the bitterness cuts through and the bitterness is quite assertive, but not over the top. A good balance. The sweetness is a malty type of sweetness.

To me, the hops taste like Falconers Flight with a bit of extra Cascade thrown in the mix. I think you will be fine with Falconers Flight. Disclaimer: I have never used Zythos so can't comment on that.

If I were making it I would slightly alter Lusty's recipe. Instead of using the Amber malt, I would go with a mash of Munich malt or use Briess Liquid Munich malt. I know the malt bill discloses pale, crystal and wheat but I think the Munich will give you the nice malty sweetness without the caramelly sweetness.

Let us know how you go.

Well the in-laws delivered two cold bottles of Fred IPA. One stayed in the fridge and the other is now in my belly devil

Very nice beer!

Brownsworthy' date=' the colour of your beer in the photo looks darker than it does in real life; it is more of a dark orangey honey colour.

When you first taste it it comes across as quite sweet but then the bitterness cuts through and the bitterness is quite assertive, but not over the top. A good balance. The sweetness is a malty type of sweetness.

To me, the hops taste like Falconers Flight with a bit of extra Cascade thrown in the mix. I think you will be fine with Falconers Flight. Disclaimer: I have never used Zythos so can't comment on that.

If I were making it I would slightly alter Lusty's recipe. Instead of using the Amber malt, I would go with a mash of Munich malt or use Briess Liquid Munich malt. I know the malt bill discloses pale, crystal and wheat but I think the Munich will give you the nice malty sweetness without the caramelly sweetness.

Let us know how you go.[/quote']

Woohoo thanks Hairy,

Really glad you liked it mate and I think you're spot on about the colour, it does look a little darker in my picture, and the sweetness of the malts and bitterness.

I've never done an extract brew yet nor a mash and have only used liquid amber in a TCS IPA which I guess is pretty dark as it is so I don't have much to go on there.

So I reckon I'll be off to the LHBS tomorrow to grab some Briess Liquid Munich malt and because I will have 2 fermenters free on the weekend I'll do one with Lusty's malt bill and Zythos and one with Hairy's substitute and Falconers Flight.

I'm so excited and can't wait till the weekend either way I think there's going to be two brilliant beers on tap at mine in a few short weeks!!!

Again thanks Lusty, Hairy and everyone who has contributed I will be keeping you all up to date as it plays out.

Cheers

G'day guys

Just got home from doing the tour at Murray's and I must say it was a lovely day!

Tried to put the screws on one of the brewers he told me that there was some Munich malt in it (well spotted Hairy) when I asked about the hops he wasn't so forth coming he said they were American I asked if it was a blend like Zythos or FF he said no and that it was a blend of 4 types and that if you know American hops you should be able to pick them out (I'm obviously not very good at it! ).

He also said he got the job from being a home brewer did a few competitions and was noticed by Shaun the previous head brewer and he gave him a start and Murray's paid for him to do the course down in Victoria. Some people have all the luck!!

Well I'm a little pissed and might have a snooze before dinnertonguesleeping

Cheers

Archived