Coopers Community

150 lashes

Tardif

Apparently it has Nelson Sauvin and Amarillo hops. Yes I am not much of a fan myself either...just not different enough from a multitude of other mainstream pales out there on the market to warrant me buying it again...but thats just me, I'm a little fussy biggrin

Hey Tardif

I'm pretty sure there is Willamette in this one as well, as P2 suggest in his hop schedule. Aussie Willamette that is.

I tried to replicate this one once as well but I'd have to agree with Xenon in that there are many other beers more worthy of cloning.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

I don't mind 150 Lashes if I'm in a situation where it's the best on offer. However I don't go out of my way for it and if there's something better I'll go for that. Definitely not on the list of beers to clone for me though. lol

I'm actually doing that clone tomorrow. While I don't mind 150 Lashes either' date=' its at the request of the missus. I love my hoppy beers, her not so much. She screwed her nose up at Hop Hog the other night but really liked this stuff so I reckon I'm gonna start here and slowly bring her around. [img']tongue[/img]

Fair call. lol Yeah I also prefer my pale beers more hoppy than 150 Lashes, but my ex-missus also wasn't a huge fan of hoppy beers. She liked American pale ales, but not IPAs or anything like that. Big dark beer fan though.

That's not a bad plan of attack there lol. Start with the easier drinking stuff and gradually increase the hop levels a little at a time so it's not too noticeable. devil

G'day Hot Boy

I've given up trying to remember each member's preferred brewing technique (I'm flat out remembering whether mum and dad want me to go outside to pee at the moment). So if you like to do all grain, a great starting point (which I'm very proud of as a clone) is:

Wey Pilsner 6.040 kg

BB Wheat 2.790 kg

Carahell 465g

POR 30g @60 min; Williamette 40g @10 min; Amarillo 25g @1 min; NS 20g @1 min

Designed for 45L kickout

60 min mash @66C

60 min boil

House strain ale yeast (Windsor/S-04/Coopers IPA kit)

Ferment @17C

Of course, substitute equivalents as required (I'm guessing US-05 or Nottingham might be a good yeast, or an appropriate White Labs or Wyeast etc

Cheers. I gotta pee on Mum's carpet now.

G'day Hot Boy

Well lets not get too carried away. I'd be happy with Average-looking Boy.

And cheers for the recipe. I'm actually a bit of a philistine (see what I did there) and doing this one extract' date=' however I have pinched your hop schedule, albeit toned it down a bit for 23L. Here's what I was thinking:

1kg Light DME

500g Wheat DME

1kg Dextrose

200g CaraPils steeped

POR 30g 60min

Willamette 30g 10min

Nelsen 20g 1min

Amarillo 20g 1min

US-05

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated but may not be heeded as my hops just rocked up and I've got the itch and might jump into it this afternoon anyway.

I also like how a thread bemoaning 150 lashes became a how to brew thread lol. [img']biggrin[/img]

Cheers,

Jamie

OK. A previous incarnation must have come over me! cool

I'd suggest you drop the POR to 15 to 20 g because 150 isn't a particularly bitter beer and (depending on the alpha acid rating) in 23 litres your better half mightn't like that much.

But I can't see a real problem with the other hops being a bit higher (maybe two thirds of the posted recipe above).

Good luck with it, Big Average Boy

Phil

Good luck with it

Cheers Phil. Put it together yesterday. OG was a few points under but I think that had more to do with my crappy mixing of a few hundred gm of dry malt at the end. No biggie.

I forgot to ask, if Tardif will allow me to hijack this thread once more: Did you dry hop anything when you did your AG version of this? I was going to throw a bit of Amarillo and Nelson (maybe 25g all up) in for good measure but if you didn't and reckon you got pretty close to the taste, I might leave it out as well?

Archived