Coopers Community

boiling concentrate??

THIRSTY MATT

hi paul,

i got the recipe mate,but a few questions.

pour concentrate in pot,add saaz hops.

do i add any water or anything?

and how long do i boil it for?

and is hop pellets ok?

when ive finished the boil i assume its the usuall..add to fermenter with light dry malt already diluted etc etc ?

answer them for me mate and i swear i wont pester you until at least the next time someones beer happenings on here infect my head again.

cheers

matt

The recipe calls for boiling the orange zest, coriander and dextrose in 1 litre of water for 10 mins. Any hop additions may be thrown in as well (for flavour and aroma) and/or at the end of boil and left to sit for about 15 mins with the lid on (for aroma).

Generally it's not a good idea to boil our kits because the boiling action will drive off any late hop additions.

A cut and paste from a submission to the Beer and Brewer Magazine:

Boiling home brew (hopped malt extract) will only darken the brew and drive of hop aroma. However, if you are following a specific recipe and using additional hops, you may like to boil some of the malt extract to achieve the expected hop utilisation for correct aroma, flavour and bitterness in the finished beer.

As an aside, check this post out: http://www.coopers.com.au/club/phpbb/vi ... .php?t=734

BUGGER! sorry mate i had the wrong recipe.

i couldnt open your link so looked in my pile of coopers newsletters and found the wrong one.

i actually done a orange zest recipe before with a wheat beer.

pretty good ,no harsh or offensive flavours!

i think you put me onto it a while ago.

anyway im off the boil mate,(concentrates that is) if you dont reccomend it!

cheers

:D matt

I checked the link and it works for me.

Does this mean that you can't download any newsletters from the members section of the website? The idea was to have the full library of newsletters available to members so they might download them at their leisure - to not only get recipes but also as an interesting historical read following the progression of the club and the company.

Archived