Coopers Community

temprature control

THIRSTY MATT

hi all,

i spoke to paul via email about a year ago about a wine cooler i bought for temp control.

i told him i'd get back to him after summer and tell him how it went.

seeing as paul hits here alot ill let ya all know.

it cost me $159 at target(nsw).

its thermalelectric and has a range of 10-18 degrees.

easiest way to describe it is..in autumn and spring you can hold any temp from 10-18 sweet!

in mid summer it will only go as low as about 16.

funny thing is in mid winter it will only go as high as 16.

so yeah,,,,when i was laughing at all you suckers buying fridges for 800 bucks i was just whizzling in the wind!!!

if i wanna do an ale in winter i pitch at about 24 degrees shut the door(temp lowers slowly to 18 over about 5 days) then i slip the heatpad under it for four or so hours a day n hold 20.

if i wanna do a lager in summer i have to pitch low, but after about a week the temp will come back up to about 16 anyway.(this is very annoying when im using say a "safw34/70" which are slow starters.

so if your saving for fridge keep saving people it'll be worth it!

anyway as a kit brewer id love to hear from anyone who boils their concentrates? more flavour ? better beer? how do you do it?

i read Lukes posts in the homebrew section,but im pc illiterate,,,,,,dont know how to contact him.

luke anyone if you got time??? mgre2357@bigpond.net.au

cheers n happy brewin'

matt

Thanks for the feedback Matt.

If you are pitching lager yeast at less than a gram per litre it is better to start at around the 22-24C mark for the first 12 hours or until you see some krausen. Then draw it down to preferred ferment temp.

A number of our kits contain late hopping so boiling them will drive off the hop aroma.

Name a style of brew you would like to make and I'll see if I can dig up a recipe :)

hi paul thanks for reply!

at the moment im just making a coopers draught with 500grams of light dry malt and a saf34/70 at 13 degrees.

im planning ahead for january when i want to drink 12 or 14.

anyway i keep coming back to coopers pale ale,but i want to perfect it!!

i like beers with just a little wheat malt in the recipe(cascade blonde, murrays sassy blonde).

im a little gun shy of recipes at the moment,i planned for weeks to do a "coopers pale ale" with "1kg light dry wheat malt" and a "wyeast smack pack belgian ardene yeast".

smacked the pack on a sunday morn to activate the yeast and nutrient n my new $12 shirt from k mart got belgianed!! (it burst open.)

i done the beer with a yeast from a canadian blonde and the pale ale yeast.(i hope they are the same strain?)

after 3 weeks in bottle beer is ok but too much wheat malt.

so ...a recipe...something pale i can boil with a hint of wheat and medium-plus hop flavour ( saaz if you think i should late hop,only late hop that has worked for me really)???

cheers

matt

sorry about the long reply but putting on your next brew is like signing for a home loan...its serious stuff!!

Hi Matt,

Just going back to your wine cooler fridge that you paid $159 for. A little while ago I purchased a fridgemate which allows me to regulate temperatures between 0 & 20 degrees. It cost me $50, and I can use it on any fridge I already own. A great investment for anyone who brews their own beer. I don't know how I did without it.....

Cheers

Bags

You must have given the pack a fair old smack to have split it open :shock:

Use the "smack method" shown in the video on the Wyeast site to avoid a messy outcome :wink:

The yeast with the Canadian Blonde is an ale while the Australian Pale Ale has a blend of ale and lager - they should be okay mixed together.

You may like to try a recipe from the Jan '06 newsletter - http://www.coopers.com.au/media/files/1372.pdf

You could substitute Wheat Malt with Light Dry Malt.

Maybe, include some Saaz (25g) or Hallertau (20g) in the boil.

hi paul,

i just might give that recipe a go mate!

thanks for fridgemate idea bags.

ive actually seen them but i never knew they was so cheap!

just waiting for myself ,family member or friend to get a new fridge and i can brew in the old one :D

thanks guys!

ill let ya know how first boil goes.

matt

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Matt,

Sorry for the no reply! Must've missed this thread somehow! :roll:

As for boiling the concentrates, I don't do it!

If I use specialty grains like crystal or chocolate malts, I steep them first and boil the strained liquid with the light malt powder and hops.

When I turn the flame off I then stir in the concentrate.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Luke.

hi all,

thanks luke!

i was lost with the boiling bit, ive been to the country homebrewer stores n seen his TCB WETPAKS.

you do a sixty minute boil with them.

anyway,im sure ive read somewhere bout people doing the same as you with grains etc etc

might try it one day,but first...........i master the kegs! :)

righto,i got these 11 week old canadian blondes i late hopped with hallertau(24grams),,,tastes like "canadian flowers",,,,(i messed it up a lil,didnt work for mine)

,,,,,anyway im going to drink a coupla canadian bouques!!

cheers

matt

Archived