Coopers Community

Rosella Saison

ben 10

Haha whatever you do don't pluck or you won't get any colour. Fish them out after a few days before it gets too rainbow-ey ... maybe add some lorikeets and galahs for complexity?

I've got my next saison recipe ready biggrin ... another 10 litre batch with harvested Wyeast 3726. Might try rinsing the yeast this time, have been watching some videos and doesn't look too hard.

Grain:

1.25kg Best Malz Heidelberg Pils

50g 240ebc crystal

10g choc malt

500g LDM

Hops:

15g B Saaz @ 60mins

10g Amarillo @ flamout

10g NS @ flameout

10g B Saaz @ flameout

Going to no-chill this one hence all the hops at flameout, got my siphon and cube ready and keen to give it a go!

Alas, not a rosella in sight. Cat's too lazy to catch me some lol

So' date=' idea is to make a Rosella Saison.

Simple grain bill, minimal hops and rosellas.

When do I add them? Boil add cordial to FV?

Dry hop?

Cube hop?

Ideas, thoughts and non stylist info is welcome.[/quote']

I was going to ask you how to use them.

A few months ago I did some charity work at a local farm which allows refugees and new immigrants an opportunity to grow crops for their local community. A few of the African groups grow a shed load of Rosella. The foreman in charge told me to come back in April and I could collect a heap of fresh Rosella.

I was thinking of a Rosella wheat beer, which I think you have previously brewed. How did you use it then?

Hi Ben.

So' date=' idea is to make a Rosella Saison.

Simple grain bill, minimal hops and rosellas.

When do I add them? Boil add cordial to FV?

Dry hop?

Cube hop?

Ideas, thoughts and non stylist info is welcome.[/quote']

What method did you use on the wheat beer you brewed with it last year?

And were you happy with the results? unsure

Personally, I'd make a sugar solution/syrup with it & then add that into the brew wort prior to pitching the yeast. Perhaps like THIS.

Good luck with it Ben. I reckon it could be a real winner if done well. cool

Cheers,

Lusty.

I made a cordial and used that. The results were okay but didn't have the colour I was hoping for.

I am leaning towards throwing them into the cube.

Hmm...

And Hairy - they are damn good, get heaps and make some jam too, bit of a PITA but yummy.

I'm just thinking out loud here, would a three way attack be the way to go? unsure

cordial, some in FV and some in the cube? so as to build flavour and hopefully colour? unsure

amounts have got to be difficult too get right, lot's of luck however you do it. wink

Cheers.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Sneaky early one or two and this is very nice.

Very tart and tangy.

Just what I wanted.

Congrats on beer Ben! cool

When you first mentioned doing this' date=' I was pretty sure this would be a lovely beer in the end.

Any chance of one of your cool beer pics of this in a glass? [img']wink[/img]

I reckon it might look pretty spesh if the hue is what I'm thinking it could be. unsure

Cheers,

Lusty.

Negative on the hue.

Apparently I put JW roasted in, killed any chance of colour coming through.

I will get another harvest and will endeavour to have a lighter grain bill so some pink comes through.

I think it will as all the colour was gone from the rosellas when I emptied the cube.

That's a shame about the hue on the current Rosella beer Ben. sad But at least it tastes good! smile

I'd really enjoy seeing a recipe & pic of a lighter malted beer with a good whack of your Rosella flowers influencing the colour & flavour.

It's a beer I'm very interested in brewing one day, so am reading & watching what you are doing each time you use these flowers.

Good luck with the next incantation. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you can replicate the colour I've seen this stuff when made into a cordial-like drink in your beer, that will be something to behold in the glass! cool

My fingers are crossed, so good luck with the brew when you get around to it Ben!

Lusty.