Coopers Community

Sediment after second fermentation

Moor beer

Hello Paul,

I have bottled two brews two weeks ago put them in a fridge with light to maintain to temp around 18-24c for the second fermentation all the stubbies now have sediment like snow flakes floating in them .

I have opened one it seems ok with taste and smell and the sediment seems to settle to the bottom :?:

moorbeer

Sorry Paul,

The first brew was from a coopers kit , Lager can, 1 kg dextros , 2 x 7g coopers yeasts ( l had extra yeast in fridge and date was ok ) and put 7 ml modiferm in . It finsihed brewing after 7 -8 days then l cold conditioned it it for 6 weeks at 4 c then bottled .

OG 1036 FG 1006

The second was a Brewcraft Munich lager wich l added Brewcraft #40 ( 1kg ) to make Crown lager using 2 x saflager yeast at 14 c for 14 days then bottled the same time as the first brew , OG 1038 FG 1010

All stubbies are washed after use Coopers bottle wash and sanitised with Brewshield sanitiser before bottling

Thanks moorbeer

If you are saying that both brews are displaying the same syptoms then I suggest you look at your processes rather than the yeast.

The yeast used in the first brew (gold sachet with no letter following the inkjetted batch code) is an ale strain while the yeast for the second is a lager.

What does #40 contain? I am not across all the opposition's products.

Was the modiferm thing a recommendation from the brewshop? If so, I think 1006 is too high (you should be expecting an extended fermentation, FG = 1000 or less) which may result in overcarbonation and exploding bottles - hope you bottled into PET :wink:

If they taste and smell okay, keep drinking them :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived