Coopers Community

1.7kg brew cans in Craft Brew kit

bollus

I am new to home brewing and just brewed my first Amber Ale in the Craft Brew kit. I want to try an Irish Stout (love Stout) but can only find the 1.7kg cans for the 23 litre fermenter.

Not knowing a lot about this, what would happen if i used the whole can in the Craft Brew kit? I was thinking of adding some Brew Enhancer 2 as well.

Am i set for failure.

Appreciate your feedback.

Using the Irish Stout with or without BE2 in 8.5 litre brew is getting you into the Russian Imperial Stout territory. It won't get you near the Irish Stout numbers.

I think the bitterness will still be too high though. If you can handle the bitterness then add the BE2 and you may have an RIS on your hands. It may be fairly exposive in the FV though. Do the Craft DIY kits come with the Krausen Kollar and clips?

• 1 month later...

Well a month or so later and I have the brewing bug big time. I used 1 litre of the 1.7 litre Irish Stout can, added in 250 gram of Brewcraft Milk Stout Enhancer and steeped 100 grams of Dark Roasted grains which also went in.

Been in the bottle for just on 3 weeks and had a taste last night. Not bad at all! Needs more time in the bottle but is not too bitter, has just the right amount of chocolate. A bit thin in the mouth feel but all in all a very drinkable beer which should only improve with age.

Tried the Dark Winter Ale with Robust Malt Extract - don't know if it was just beginners luck but it was a cracker! It was the 2nd brew I put down and mates have cleaned me out. Trying it again with some extra bits and pieces.

Thanks for your advice guys.

Archived