Coopers Community

Has Fermentation stopped

Darren1525228545

Need some help!

Ive had a canadian blonde on now for ten days. The fermentation has stopped at least i think so. Ive been getting 1012 readings now for the last three days. Theres no action on the surface of the brew and airlock hasnt moved, so should i be right to bottle and assume fermentation has stopped?? The temp has been between 18 - 22c for the whole time. When they say bottle at around 1008 is this average or are some beers different. My kilkenny like beer doesnt seem to beer dropping much below 1020 at this stage and thats been on for ten days at same temp also.

Also cracked the first bottle of Brewmaster series pilsener after 4 weeks its awsome. I mixed 500g of honey with 2lt of boiling water at the start of the brew and am very happy with the results, very slight honey taste. Will get even better in another month or so! :D

1012 may well be the FG - you haven't mentioned the adjuncts (other fermentable ingredients) used so it is difficult to say whether the brew has stopped short of expected FG or not :?:

Normally, the rule of thumb is: stable SG readings over a couple of days indicates FG, providing the brew temp is sufficient for the yeast strain to remain active :)

Sorry paul,

I used a box of BE1, plus i added an extra 250gm of dextrose. Do you think is should raise the temp with a heat pad and see if its starts the fermenatation up a tad or does the 10 days at 18 - 22c sound ok. As a new brewer its hard to know what to do sometimes. I seem to be getting the hang of it. This is my 4th brew now and the first that hasnt gotten to 1008 before bottling! With the other 3 i waited 3days with the same reading before i bottled and they all finished at 1008. Its just this one has been three days at 1012.

BE1 has 400g of Maltodextrin, which is only partially fermentable.

So you are okay to bottle 8)

Perhaps you used something other than BE1 for the first 3 brews??

Also, rather than adding extra dextrose to the brew, try adding Light Dry Malt instead.

You will get the hang of things - just make sure to document what you do with each brew, so you have some chance of repeating the recipe for a brew that you particularly liked :wink:

Archived