Coopers Community

DIY Fermenter + Racking

thirstybrewer

Hi All

Long time lurker, first time poster.

For those of you that have the new DIY fermenter, how do you find racking from the tap into kegs? Or do you need a racking cane or the like?

I am looking at buying a new fermenter and can see the benefit in DIY fermenter with the KK. My only concern is how I get the beer out to the keg. My current fermenter has the old style tap on it and the plastic tubing fits nicely over the down tube part of the tap. The tap on the DIY fermenter is cause for concern given it's much wider and doesn't look like it will fit the tubing as well.

Any thoughts/comments would be great.

Thanks Guys

I just remove the blue beer stop from the bottling wand that fits into the tap then slip on some clear food grade tube over the wand and your good to go. I place my Fv at hieght and let gravity do its thing.

I've got two DIY FVs and it's never been a problem

Hey Thirsty

I use some beverage tube that has the same outside diameter as the bottling wand. It fits snuggly inside the tap and I have no issues. Prior to getting this size tubing I did exactly what Nashibier is doing except I cut a short piece off one of my bottling wands.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

I got myself a camping drum for use with racking some months back; after a few goes I lost the enthusiasm, and now hold onto it as a secondary vessel, if I'm wanting to make another batch whilst I've got one underway.

That said, it's handy for use when I wash & sterilize bottles whilst I've got a brew going.

I simply put my washing solution in it, attach my bottling tube and use it to fill the bottles, then likewise for diluted bleach prior to bottling.

Much easier than mucking about with buckets of washing & sterilizing solution.

I find that generally 2 weeks or so with ales in the FV does away with the need for racking (unless you want to bulk prime, or do a quick turnaround with some CC or whatever).

That said, having a second vessel come winter when doing lagers could be of some benefit.

Archived