Coopers Community

Home Brew Shops

The Brew Master

Hi Everyone,

I will be in Melbourne in a couple of weeks and was wondering if somebody from down there could advise me of the best home brew shops to visit. I am interested in getting into kegging and would appreciate some advice regarding cylinders and gas options. A week or so later I will be in Geelong.

Cheers,

Peter

Unfortunately, there are no home brew stores that have any level of professional service near where I live. So while I do buy from a few, there are none that I could recommend.

However, from what I have heard, Grain And Grape is about the best you will get in Victoria.

They are at

Shop 5/280 Whitehall Street

Yarraville, VIC 3013

03 9687 006

http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/

Unfortunately, they are practically at the other end of the earth from where I live and have not been there myself.

G'day Peter,

if you want to get Coopers products, Brewcraft is not a good option. In fact, Brewcraft do not support Coopers at all! :(

Endorsing Brewcraft on a Coopers website is like talking up Ford cars on a Holden forum, or vice versa :wink:

Try this website for a list of "Coopers Friendly" stores:

http://www.brewcellar.com.au

Having pondered about this overnight, I thought that I might as well step onto my soap box and have a whinge about the home brew shops in general, especially the ones that service the area that I live in. It seems as if there is not enough money in supplying beer brewing supplies and they have to supplement their income with hydroponic equipment for growing marijuana and/or supplies for distilling ethanol. Their main aim in life, it seems, is to get drunk or drugged and not to savour life (or good beer for that matter). Any knowledge or enthusiasm that they may have had for fine beer has long been dulled by the lifestyle that they lead.

The owner of one shop, that is quite close to me, ridiculed me for asking for Amarillo hops and told me that there was no such thing and that I had made it up.

Another shop was selling all of its grains for cheap because \u201cNobody uses them any more!\u201d I\u2019m sure that the statement would be more correct if they said \u201cNobody that uses grains come into our store anymore.\u201d

The advice these shops have given me has been conflicting, misleading, and wrong. Fortunately there is well stocked Big W nearby and we have the support of Paul and the others on this forum. I now only go to home brew shops to buy what little extra supplies I need for my beer.

I can\u2019t help but wonder how well home brewing would flourish if there were local home brew stores that could supply correct advice and good product to its customers in a professional manner?

Another shop was selling all of its grains for cheap because \u201cNobody uses them any more!\u201d I\u2019m sure that the statement would be more correct if they said \u201cNobody that uses grains come into our store anymore.\u201d

I think I used to shop there :roll:

Geez Tricky, that sounds terrible. I am sorry to hear your local home brew shop isn't up to the great family service and advice we have here in Brisbane. I can't believe they said you were making stuff up!!! I am shocked.

I'm not sure if I am allowed but I must give a plug to Annerley Home brew here in Brissie! (A Brewcellar participant Paul!). Family run by Reggie, his wife and son, the advice on Coopers they give is invaluable. Just spending time chatting to Reggie and his son about brewing keeps me passionate about my home brewing with Coopers.

Archived