Coopers Community

Believe it or not, Mr Ripley

antiphile

Nice find P2.

I can only say I too am enraged by what was done. On two fronts it is nothing short of disgraceful. The following exert from the article displays the level of contempt that is held by these multi-nationals & how they view the general public. It just has me seeing red! devil

“It just goes to show how much of a joke this microbrewery ‘culture’ is. Everyone knows there is only one way to tackle a hard earned thirst' date='”

“We won this round, and we will win again. This craft beer bullshit is just a phase. Long live the green demons.”[/quote']

The only thing missing from the article was what the beer(s) presented under this label actually were. If indeed it was the traditional VB, then the judges & public in Surrey Hills really need some help if it can be assessed as being anything resembling a 'craft' beer let alone win a category. w00t

What a disgrace!

I hope I live long enough to see SAB Miller EAT THOSE WORDS!

Sorry for the rant & vent, but they deserve nothing less! devil

Anthony.

Inner-west craft beer enthusiast and former microbrewer, Banjo Clementé, was one of five judges on the day – he has since spoken out about the embarrassment.

“Looking back, I was mainly impressed mainly by Vaucluse Bitter as a rags to riches story, it wasn’t necessarily about the taste, turns out they weren’t as cool as I thought.”

I thought a beer judge was meant to, you know, judge how a beer tastes?

Quote from SABMiller was pretty funny though. As I understand it, microbreweries/craft brewing in Australia started sometime in the 80s and is still going around 30 years later...

"Just a phase" though... whistling

Hey Guys

You blokes need to chill. It's no big deal if VB took out beer of the show. It was probably entered as an Australian Bitter, a Lager full of POR taste and aroma. I reckon that VB would compete quite well in this category. Looking through this years running list for the International Beer Fest I can't see any craft or micro-breweries offering up an Aussie Bitter.

Cheers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Please tell me that I'm not the only person that knows betootaadvocate.com is a satire/bullshit website?

This falls into the "or not" category

I didn't know that' date=' but I thought it was pretty easy to tell the article was a joke from the way it was written. The quotes from the SAB spokesperson were hilarious, but not the way a spokesperson from ANY company could get away with talking. [img']lol[/img]

I didn't know that' date=' but I thought it was pretty easy to tell the article was a joke from the way it was written. The quotes from the SAB spokesperson were hilarious, but not the way a spokesperson from ANY company could get away with talking. [img']lol[/img]

I thought it was obvious to, especially if you take a look around and look at some of other articles.

Just thought I'd spill the beans as it looked like a few people were getting a bit worked up over it! Although, perhaps this is what that mischievous antiphile intended....

cool

For a site to publish complete fiction like that about what appears to be reporting on a real event, I do find a little bizarre. rolleyes

I hope you're having a good giggle there P2! biggrin

I'll just step out for a moment to clean the egg off my face... whistling

Anthony.

For a site to publish complete fiction like that about what appears to be reporting on a real event' date=' I do find a little bizarre.[/quote']

There are plenty of sites around that do the same thing, maybe The Onion started it? They are pretty damn funny I reckon, but every now and then you will get one which is not quite far fetched enough and people buy into it. Even funnier. lol

Haha, I figured there was something a bit amiss, but waited to see what the real story was.

I have to say, there is a good chance if that sort of trick was played it would work; some are so obsessed with POR, that they think it's the only way to go with beer, whether commercial, microbrew, or even some home brewers!

Whenever I have a commercial or craft beer (including Coopers Original Pale Ale) that has what tastes like POR as the dominant hop, I just think to myself; why can't they be more original and take a risk, rather than use the almost cliched hop that so many other brewers use to give their beer its bite?

I challenge anyone who thinks that POR is a great hop to try a few others, and if that's not enough, go for a drive to Ringwood to see the suburb that POR is named after - from my memory of the place is a bit cashed up bogan, so IMHO it's a bogan hop named after a bogan suburb.

Sure POR does its job, but when it's the default hop for so many, it really just shows that in many cases it's being used to bitter and flavour a pretty ordinary brew - which once you get used to it tarnishes other brews made with it.

I reckon if you need to rely on POR for bite, you're not trying hard enough, or need to have more faith in your brew and try something different.

That's why LCPA, Endeavour, and others are so popular, they break from the pack, and are willing to use a hop with a different flavour profile.

Sure the masses will still drink megaswill stacked with POR, because they're conditioned to it, but surely most that actually enjoy their beer - rather than just down it to get pi$$ed prefer flavour over blandness with a bitter aftertaste?

Haha' date=' I figured there was something a bit amiss, but waited to see what the real story was.

I have to say, there is a good chance if that sort of trick was played it would work; some are so obsessed with POR, that they think it's the only way to go with beer, whether commercial, microbrew, or even some home brewers!

Whenever I have a commercial or craft beer (including Coopers Original Pale Ale) that has what tastes like POR as the dominant hop, I just think to myself; why can't they be more original and take a risk, rather than use the almost cliched hop that so many other brewers use to give their beer its bite?

I challenge anyone who thinks that POR is a great hop to try a few others, and if that's not enough, go for a drive to Ringwood to see the suburb that POR is named after - from my memory of the place is a bit cashed up bogan, so IMHO it's a bogan hop named after a bogan suburb.

Sure POR does its job, but when it's the default hop for so many, it really just shows that in many cases it's being used to bitter and flavour a pretty ordinary brew - which once you get used to it tarnishes other brews made with it.

I reckon if you need to rely on POR for bite, you're not trying hard enough, or need to have more faith in your brew and try something different.

That's why LCPA, Endeavour, and others are so popular, they break from the pack, and are willing to use a hop with a different flavour profile.

Sure the masses will still drink megaswill stacked with POR, because they're conditioned to it, but surely most that actually enjoy their beer - rather than just down it to get pi$$ed prefer flavour over blandness with a bitter aftertaste?

[/quote']

Hey Beeblebrox

Interesting comment. I assume that you are auditioning for a reporters job on betootaadvocate.com.

Cheers

Scottie

Valley Brew

I didn't manage to tick any boxes. Perhaps if there had been a category on preferring craft beer to mega swill, or preferring Riwaka Hops to Pride Of Ringwood I my have scored a few points. If I was asked to identify bogan suburbs I may have scored higher as well.

Cheers

Scottie

Valley Brew

I didn't manage to tick any boxes. Perhaps if there had been a category on preferring craft beer to mega swill' date=' or preferring Riwaka Hops to Pride Of Ringwood I my have scored a few points. If I was asked to identify bogan suburbs I may have scored higher as well.

Cheers

Scottie

[i']Valley Brew[/i]

I ticked a few boxes, but mostly due to circumstances beyond my control; private school education (or Catholic brainwashing, depending on your perspective), I live near a bit of a wanky Pub that prides itself on it's craft beer on tap, as well as so called gourmet food - which is prone to cause food poisoning, and of course I live in a somewhat nice suburb, but being in public housing kind of counters that.

Of course it reminds me of the old TISM song; Whatarya (yob or wanker?).

I'm proud to say I'm an individual, and don't follow trends or fads, other than home brewing, but that's because I like well made beer, and would rather make it myself than be ripped off $70 per carton for craft beer; especially as I have practically no income.

Cheers.

Archived