Coopers Community

A little beer is good

antiphile

Sadly, to get the same effect a human would have to down 2,000 litres of the stuff a day (3,520 pints) to ingest the amount of xanthohumol used in the study for the same period, which isn't going to do anyone's cognitive functions a favour.

And a big Olivia Newton John Xanadu hello to you Antiphile! biggrin

so' date=' lots of Beerlust's Hop Bombs must be magnificent.

Xanthohumol

I always thought I was smarter than the average bear, but had no idea why? Now I know why! biggrin

..on a more serious note, some interesting observations listed in the article. I do find it interesting that a claim can be made like that given that the hop plant & the cannabis plant are said to be so closely related, yet appear to produce direct opposites when it comes to affects on humans etc.

Maybe it is really about the method in which they are used. unsure

I'm glad I took the 'smart' route anyways. wink

...on a more interesting note, I wonder who funded the research? Maybe the Sierra Nevada brewery? unsurelol

The 3520 pint mark went by the wayside many moons ago, so I'll just accept a basic principle that I'm ever so slowly becoming smarter & smarter! tongue

Cheers,

Anthony.

And a big Olivia Newton John Xanadu hello to you Antiphile! biggrin
so' date=' lots of Beerlust's Hop Bombs must be magnificent.

Xanthohumol

I always thought I was smarter than the average bear, but had no idea why? Now I know why! biggrin

..on a more serious note, some interesting observations listed in the article. I do find it interesting that a claim can be made like that given that the hop plant & the cannabis plant are said to be so closely related, yet appear to produce direct opposites when it comes to affects on humans etc.

Maybe it is really about the method in which they are used. unsure

I'm glad I took the 'smart' route anyways. wink

...on a more interesting note, I wonder who funded the research? Maybe the Sierra Nevada brewery? unsurelol

The 3520 pint mark went by the wayside many moons ago, so I'll just accept a basic principle that I'm ever so slowly becoming smarter & smarter! tongue

Cheers,

Anthony.

It all comes down to which ingredients you study in hops, beer, or indeed cannabis.

Sugar clearly contributes to diabetes, yeast can be healthy or unhealthy depending on where it finds its way to in your body, and of course as with anything, moderation is the key to avoid too much of the undesired effects of any product, drug or food etc.

CBD in cannabis has been proven to have anti-psychotic effects, and is good for mental function, whereas THC is known to cause all sorts of nasty effects, such as paranoia, delusions, hallucinations, and can contribute to triggering psychosis in those who are predisposed to such reactions.

Of course there are also numerous incidences of tinctures made from cannabis being beneficial in treatment for cancer, epilepsy, and other conditions; these tinctures generally have little to no THC in them (THC of course being the active ingredient that causes one to feel high).

In some countries (notably not Australia) ingredients from cannabis are used for treatment of illness quite legally, and of course it is the stigma of cannabis that stops that from being the case here; too much paranoia, not enough interest in rationality; after all codeine is perfectly legal, and available without prescription from any pharmacy and comes from the same plant as heroin!

I'm sure a good strong dose of the active ingredient in hops will find its way to herbal medicine, and may be synthesized by big pharma in time.

Meanwhile of course you can get herbal hops from some compounding and natural medicine type pharmacies, if that's what floats your boat.

Archived