Coopers Community

How long can I leave a brew before bottling

Tonny's Brewing

hi guys

great info on this thread

I've goat a pale ale brewing in primary will be a week tomorrow . I've boil 25g amarilo and galaxy and on around day 4i dry hoped another 25g. the new smelt amazing ' date=' citrusy etc etc , i wen to do a hydrometer reading tonight and the brew docent seem to smell as good ? is that normal , i might be "trippin" a tad.i figured maybe the dry hop has sunk down to the bottom of the brew ence the smell isn't as good ( still smells good but not as good as a few days ago )

any thoughts , tips ideas appreciated

cheers[/quote']

If I'm understanding this right, you're saying it smelt great before you pitched the yeast but now it's changed? Or it smelt great when you threw in the dry hop? This is pretty normal. There are probably some yeasty aromas mixed in with it as well since the yeast will be in suspension all through the brew. While smelling and tasting SG samples is a good idea, the thing to remember is they almost always get better once bottled and carbonated, and all the yeast and such has dropped out and settled to the bottom.

By the way, I hope you're taking samples from the tap to test the SG rather than opening the lid and just dropping the hydrometer in. rightful

Cheers

Kelsey

thank you mate for your reply , your advice is always valued

i used a USA west coast yeast , i mentioned the brew smelt amazing at day 4 when i added the dry hop , and yes i get the brew from the tap BUT , I've had people over at my place bait this past week , and people always ask to smell the brew , so i reckon the lid has been ( very slightly opened ) a few times , do you foresee any issues pal. hey i was thinking of joining a brew club ? i live in melbourne , do you know of any ?

thanks again for your reply

No worries mate. If you can keep the lid opening to a minimum, do so. It only invites the risk of infection and the more times you do it, the more risk. Even opening it to add dry hops is risky, but unfortunately there isn't an alternative. Next time tell them to wait until it's bottled and carbonated. tongue I doubt that's the reason for the change in aroma though. I'd guess it's simply a result of fermentation. The real test of it will be in the glass once it's ready to drink.

No idea about brew clubs in Melbourne, I'm up in Brisbane, however no doubt there'd be a few around. Check it out on google, I'm sure there'd be some results there.

• 2 years later...

Gday community. My father passed away recently and I have inherited his/my old "Wander" beer making kit purchased way back in 1996! Dad has been using it on n off over the past few years and I decided to clean it all up n brew a coopers lager. Started brewing 24/3/2017. Weather has changed here now and is a lot cooler. Max temp 18 next 3-4 days then low 20s. I'm off on holidays for 10 days. Will it still be ok to bottle when I come back?

Archived