Coopers Community

1st Brew advice. pls

Brettski187

Evening all,

Quick bit of advice please, have trawled the forums but see conflicting messages.

Started my 1st brew last Sunday 13th. Using the Coopers DIY brew kit and Australian "Lager" OG of 1037. Due to noob nerves, asked noob queries on here and Hairy asked what my SG was. this was day 2 and 1026. Day 3 removed the Krausen Collar and measured a 1015. It hasn't moved since then. stayed at 1015. Have degassed the samples each time.

Have I stalled ? What should I do ?

Extra info. Pitched at 26c ( noob error ). Got temp down to 23c over a couple of hours. temp dropped down to 21c Until Thursday when everything in the UK got a little warm, temp went up to 24c

Hey Brett

I measured to FG on my first brew, the OS Lager and BE1, at 1.016. Subsequent brews with BE1, Pale Ale and Canadian Blonde, went 1.009 and 1.010 respectively.

For my first brew I didn't degas and there was an error with my hydrometer, which I believe is the case with all Coopers Hydrometers. I believe the are made to read high so that the home brewer can calibrate them by snipping of small pieces of the red tip on the stem. You don't need to snip but you need to know how big the error is, just fill the tube with 20'C water and then place measure the SG.

It would be very unusual for the Coopers dry yeast to stall, what is the date on the packet?

Cheers

Scottie

G'day Brett,

I reckon your OG was on the money, mine was 1.037 as well for the OS Lager with BE1. Either that or my hydrometer is just as out as yours! I measured my FG at 1.014 after 15 days in the fermenter, so yours is in that ballpark as well.

I'd give it another week or so. If it's still the same and you then decide to bottle, I don't think you need to worry - my bottles were not over-carbonated or explosive or anything. Actually they took quite a while to carbonate properly.

Gents

The OG of my three brews using a Coopers 1.7kg can, 1kg of BE1 and made to 23 litres were; 1.040, 1.040 & 1.038. Original Gravity readings can be a bit hit and miss when using dry ingredients depending on how well the ingredients are mixed and how much clumping occurs. However mixing does not effect the FG or ABV% because the yeast still consumes the sugars.

Just trying to help but I will say that 1.015 is not in the ball park for said ingredients. The only brews of mine that have finished in that territory are Stouts. As I said I measured 1.016 on my maiden brew and I can tell you that there is no way that that particular brew was 1.016.

Cheers

Scottie

Hi guys,

First time poster, long time lurker. I also brewed the original series lager a while back with brew enhancer 1 at 23L to the specs included with the Coopers kit - I had an OG of 1038 and FG of 1015 too. This was after ~14 days in the FV at a fairly steady 22-23 degrees.

After doing subsequent brews (Coopers Draught, Bewitched Amber, among others) I'm fairly confident that the reason so many people end up with high FG reading for this are because the wort isn't properly aerated when mixing in the water and sugars - I know that when I first did it I stirred it after putting the hot water in, then just topped up with cold without further stirring (like the video you get with the kit). Ever since I've been pretty vigourous about it and ended up with "ideal" FGs (~1005 for the Draught using plain brewing sugar and 1010 for the bewitched without anything else)

Anyways, my uneducated opinion.

Cheers!

The brew with the DIY Beer kit will usually finish in the 1012 to 1016 range - this is because Coopers Brew Enhancer 1 contains 600g of Dextrose and 400g of Maltodextrin, which (in the case of the Maltodextrin we source) is only about 17% fermentable. So the rest remains in solution giving extra body (higher density) to the brew. wink

OK, thanks for all the responses guys

From what the consensus is, it's not really an issue but should check my Hydrometer. FG of 1015 is to be expected because of the BE1 having non fermantables in it increasing the FG.

So I just need to be more patient and give it a week more in the FV

Thx again guys

Archived