Coopers Community

My big rides (fomerly: "Maximum disappointment")

King Ruddager

A few of you have probably picked up on the fact that I rather enjoy riding my bike, and some may even have seen me mention the "Three Peaks" challenge which takes in Falls Creek, Mt Hotham and Tawonga Gap in one massive 13 hour, 235km challenge with 4,000 of climbing.

Well, entries were opened last Monday but when I tried to register on Thursday all 2,000 places had already sold out. I called Bicycle Network to ask about my options and even they said their fastest guess for when it would sell out was three weeks.

So no Three Peaks for me in 2015. How the hell am I supposed to stay motivated for another 18 months until 2016's event?

I know, I know - RDWHAHB. Sigh.

Bummer sad

Just ride along behind them; or in front wink

Yeah do that that!

One year in the Sydney to Hobart one of the yachts, Siska I think, had an issue with their entry. So they set sail before the rest of the fleet and absolutely blitzed the field stretching their lead the whole journey. If your that good, as a King should be, then set out before the pack; if not wait until they leave.

Cheers

Yeah, unfortunately it's not that easy being at Falls Creek and all, and they have a very controlled start for safety reasons so I don't think I'd be able to just jump in without everyone noticing.

Even more importantly though, I wouldn't be eligible for the all-important finishers' jersey sad

Sorry to hear you missed gaining entry to the challenge Ruddy. I could sense you were really looking forward to it. sad

As far as the 2000 entry limit goes, I believe it is Australian Law to permit no more than that amount of spandex in a certain confined area. tongue

biggrin

Perhaps have a look to see if there are any other cycling events on around that time on the calender? unsure

Cheers,

Anthony.

Thanks for the 'heads up' on the BUPA Glenelg to Mt. Barker Challenge on that day.

I shall avoid the sea of lycra obscuring the sea of blue water on that day, & point my optic nerve at something a little less disturbing! lol

Hehe! biggrin

Make sure you get your entry in nice & early for that one Ruddy! whistling

Cheers & good luck in it.

Anthony.

I thought when I saw the heading "Maximum disappointment" it would be something horrific, like a brew fail, or family illness.

I know you're a bike nut, but it's only a race you're missing out on, and there are still plenty of other rides you can take.

Maybe you can look at it as an opportunity to find a new route to ride, somewhere you haven't been, or somewhere you like that haven't been too much, and you can ride there and enjoy the solitude of not being stuck in a crowd trying to get ahead of everyone?

At least it means you're not going to be in a race that may be more likely to lead to damaging your bike if you stacked, so in the long run it may mean you've saved yourself some money, frustration, and risk of injury.

Just think, if you find out later that someone stacked in the race it could have been you, and maybe just maybe it will seem better that you missed out in the long run.

Cheers and beers.

Make sure you get your entry in nice & early for that one Ruddy!

Got my entry in for this one ages ago' date=' and I've already raised $760 for the Cancer Council! In fact ... I'm just going to leave this here.

Beeblebrox - this ride's not a race, it's a challenge, and it's probably the hardest cycling challenge in Australia. I've never done anything like it and I've been training for a while already, so you can probably understand why I'm disappointed at missing out.

On a personal note, it's also something I should be doing with my dearly departed colleague, Dan. He crashed his bike in bad weather in July last year and you can bet your arse we'd be doing this together if he was still around.

Make sure you get your entry in nice & early for that one Ruddy!

Got my entry in for this one ages ago' date=' and I've already raised $760 for the Cancer Council! In fact ... I'm just going to leave this here.

Beeblebrox - this ride's not a race, it's a challenge, and it's probably the hardest cycling challenge in Australia. I've never done anything like it and I've been training for a while already, so you can probably understand why I'm disappointed at missing out.

On a personal note, it's also something I should be doing with my dearly departed colleague, Dan. He crashed his bike in bad weather in July last year and you can bet your arse we'd be doing this together if he was still around.

OMG, I'm so sorry, I was trying to find a silver lining, but obviously all I found was a dark cloud!

I know it's not the same thing, but my daughter lost her leg to cancer earlier this year, and has only just felt ready to get back in touch with me, having avoided me for the past six months.

I lost my father in law to cancer 3 years ago, and he left a massive hole in our lives.

It was touch and go whether I'd survive when the stress of all this caught up with me.

I guess all you can do is continue raising funds for the Cancer Council, and see if you can be put on a reserve list, or if you can be registered for the next one early.

Cancer is a real MF! As is losing friends to accidents.

Oh and the mother in law just went into an aged care home with pretty bad dementia, so life's not been a bowl of cherries here either.

At least there's always beer though; the cause and cure to many of life's ills.

No shit!?sad That's sad to hear. Must have been a hell of a crash.

Yeah' date=' it must've been. We have mandatory helmet laws but I think he hit his head kind of sideways into a curb. It was a windy downhill road that is otherwise safe, but on that day it was blowing a gale and even hailing - he shouldn't have been riding but was just too keen.

The corner in question is in

, about 4:15 in. The ride in that video was actually more meaningful to me than the Three Peaks (as explained in the description).

Beeblebrox - it's all good mate. I'm sorry to hear about the cancer in your family too.

Good on you Ruddy, there is certainly something to be said for having strong motivation and intention, and sometimes the seemingly impossible becomes possible if your intentions are strong enough.

Not meaning to get all pseudo religious or anything, but I've certainly found that if you will something strongly enough (or if you're religious express your desire in prayer), sometimes but not always what you want that seems so hard to attain becomes available.

Good luck with the ride, and I hope you can feel your mate smiling down on you wishing you all the best too.

Cheers mate.

• 4 months later...

Well, the ride isn't far off now. I think I'm prepared, but my right leg has decided to give me a scare today by feeling quite strained after a training ride this morning. I've been doing over 1,000kms/month since November, including 1,350 in January (which took me just under 55 hours and saw me climb the equivalent of two-and-a-half times up Mt Everest).

Can't they just present me my jersey now?

Combined%20peaks%20front%20and%20back%20for%20website%285%29.png

Fruit and Nut bar you are.

I ride MTB and do a half hour dirt climb maybe three times a week.

I ride MTB as well ben and think and ride much the same though some days I might push it out to a few hours' date=' taking many a senic break of course.

Bestt of luck with that one Ruddager I'll stick to my baggies and hairy legs![img']tongue[/img]lol

Cheers

Good luck with it K-Rudd, I hope the body holds up.

I dusted off the road bike a few weeks ago, gave it service and went out for a 40km ride. A good one to blow the cobwebs out. Hopefully it isn't another 7 years between rides crying

Good luck with the challenge mate! Hope it all goes well biggrin

I've just recently started getting back into cricket and my body is not very happy about this new venture...aches and pains everywhere lol

I started playing basketball last year after a 12 year break. My first season back consisted of two torn calf muscles, torn hamstring, broken toe and strained groin.

It is all good now though. The body gets used to playing and you get fitter.

I started playing basketball last year after a 12 year break. My first season back consisted of two torn calf muscles' date=' torn hamstring, broken toe and strained groin.[/quote']

Ouch!!! My worst basketball injury was breaking my wrist running into a wall after chasing down a fast break. Been pretty lucky otherwise besides the usual rolled ankles and jammed fingers. Good to hear you're sticking with it - it's a great sport and a really good workout.

Good luck KR!

I've been doing a lazy 10-15km most mornings on the mountain bike to try and shake the cobwebs out and gear myself up for another day in the salt mines, but it's bloody nothing compared to your 1000km+ per month!