Coopers Community

Morgans Sanitize

worry wort

Has anyone tried Morgans Sanitize to sanitise bottles etc? I've been using miltons sterilizing tabs for years but recently the guru at the HBS was flogging off Sanatize at $4.00/250ml. He said that you can pass the mix from bottle to bottle, shake, pass to next bottle etc, and no rinsing required, which is exactly what the directions say as well. Any experience anyone?

Buck.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure, but my LHBS advised that Coopers bought Morgan's some time ago, as they did with Mr Beer, so it may just be Coopers Sanitizer under a different label.....

I still stick with the tried and true generic (sensitive) laundry soaker from Coles, with a rinse, followed by diluted unscented bleach with another rinse.

Going on 2 years with no probs with this regimen.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Just following on on this topic, I am beginning to think there may be a drawback to using this Morgans Sanitize product.

Ive noticed since using this product that my beer has been a bit flatter than usual. I was only using it for my bottles, but recently used it to wash my fermenter also before brewing. I noticed on this occasion the krausen was almost nothing compared to usual (APA) and again the fizz was a bit lackluster after bottling.

Ive never really been super anal about sanitisation, but might just try a batch being super clean with a mild detergent in future for fermenter and bottles.

I use to use the Morgan's stuff and found that I had the same problem. Switched to Star San after a good hot water wash and rinse and my problems are gone. And for the price of Star San its worth switching over, brought my bottle over a year ago and not even half way through, very cost effective.

Thanks to James I now have irrefutable evidence that Santize is rubbish.

Silly Q, but does sodium Perc go by any other name at my local supermarket - or is this something Ill need to grab at my LHBS?

LHBS was who sold me the sanitize, they seem to have their own fermentables too (Cant get Coopers product, just the kits) so might have to travel elsewhere...

I used Morgans sanitize with my first dozen or so brews with no issue what so ever.

Then in the first 5 brews using starsan I had my first infection.

I don't really think theres an issue with either so I wouldn't necessarily say that Morgans sanitize is rubbish.

Sodium Percarbonate is the active ingredient in most laundry soakers you can get just sodium percarbonate from your LHBS or online.

Some LHBS buy in bulk and are sometimes supplied by Coopers.

Cheers

G'day Big Jim, Sodium Percarbonate is the active ingredient in many "laundry soakers" these products are available from most of the major supermarkets in either their No Brand (supermarkets own brand), also main brands as well, look for "Oxy" action, or similar, in the small print it should tell you the % of sodium percarbonate and look for the low irritant, no fragrance variety, many here use them. wink

I got some 100% sodium percarbonate from an online Home-brew store and prefer it but that's just me. wink

Got some bottles soaking right now. smile

Cheers.

While the Aldi one is doing what is required Kelsey, I wouldn't bother switching either. I was viewing some online reviews of these supermarket available "soakers" & the Aldi one was actually the top rated!

At this point in time I don't have access to it, & have recently switched to regular use of sodium perc from my LHBS, so will continue using that as it's in pure form, & not overly expensive (IMHO).

The products we buy, combined with the cleaning practices we adopt ultimately determine their effectiveness. This particular area varies probably more so than any other from brewer to brewer, & I would consider it to be the hardest area to discuss & solve problems around, particularly with new brewers experiencing problems with their beers. sad

Cheers,

Lusty.

I bought 1kg of sodium percarbonate for $5.50. Considering the oxygen based bleach contain about 30% active ingredients and often can pay more than $5.50 per kg, your in effect paying over 3 times as much for the same thing plus unknown fillers.

• 2 weeks later...

G/day

i have been using lectric washing soda active ingredient Sodium Carbonate it says all natural product no phosphates or dyes got it from supermarket and it was cheap if that's any help it does say not to use on aluminium

Sounds like I'm so sloppy it'd make you all sad - I rinse the FV with cold water and wipe it out with a chux. Rinse again then roll a 10L mix of Starsan around it and through the tap.

Touch wood: never infected, no issues.

G/day

i have been using lectric washing soda active ingredient Sodium Carbonate it says all natural product no phosphates or dyes got it from supermarket and it was cheap if that's any help it does say not to use on aluminium

Hi Wombles

Is it possible you've misinterpreted things? Sodium carbonate is an entirely different animal to sodium percarbonate. One is soda ash (a water conditioner) while the other is a sanitiser (and quite a strong oxidising agent).

G'day, I hope you brew good beer you enjoy and are happy to share with you friends and family, to aid this PB2's advice is below. wink

PB2's BEER TRIANGLE:

Thorough Sanitation + Fresh Ingredients + Appropriate Ferment Temp = QUALITY BEER

Homebrewers make their own choices and suffer the consequences of their actions, at the end of the day it is up to us as individually. surprised

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

After a few years of brewing (second time around, as I was brewing very badly over a decade ago), I've finally converted to no rinse sanitizer.

It's just so much quicker, easier, more efficient etc, I can't understand why it took so long for me to come around?!

It's like I've just stopped bashing my head against a wall, & realize I don't need to muck about with bleach & extra rinsing etc.

Just a wash, a rinse then no rinse sanitizer & you're done.

It's also great that you can re-use the stuff several times, rather than having to mix up a new batch every time like you do with bleach.

I knew you'd come around eventually. winktongue

Of course, but I'm a stubborn bastard, & only come around to doing the same as others when I'm ready to on my own terms, & when I can see that there is a better way to do things than the way I'm already doing it.

I don't run with the pack.

Cheers.