Coopers Community

Coopers & Co "Botanic Ale"

ICzed

This just popped up on my Facebook feed.

"You may have heard about our upcoming Botanic Ale - a limited edition and unique beer, resulting from a collaboration between Coopers, the Lobethal Bierhaus and the Botanic Gardens of South Australia. If you'd like to find out a little bit more about Botanic Ale, and the 'Navigator' barley that was developed by researchers at The University of Adelaide, this video is well worth a watch!".

"Barley grown in Adelaide Botanic Garden is a key ingredient in a new limited edition beer being brewed today by Coopers Brewery and the Lobethal Bierhaus.

Botanic Ale is a collaboration between Coopers, the Lobethal Bierhaus and the Botanic Gardens of South Australia.

It is the first time Coopers has collaborated with another brewery in the development of a new beer.

Only 1200 litres of Botanic Ale will be produced, with proceeds from sales going to the Botanic Gardens.

Navigator barley grown and harvested in Adelaide Botanic Garden has been malted by Joe White Maltings, now part of Cargill Australia, and forms the basis for Botanic Ale, which is being developed by brewers from Coopers and the Lobethal Bierhaus.

Navigator is a barley variety developed by the University of Adelaide’s barley breeding program.

The beer will be sold through the Lobethal Bierhaus and the Botanic Gardens Restaurant and is expected to be available in bottle and keg from 29 October.

Coopers’ Managing Director, Dr Tim Cooper, said Coopers had sponsored the barley crop in Adelaide’s CBD to further the objective of the Botanic Gardens to connect the community with plants, agriculture and food.

“The Botanic Gardens successfully grew the barley crop and we agreed to work with them to turn the barley into beer,” he said.

“The amount of barley available was too small for us to process through our brewery, so we looked for alternatives and our friends at the Lobethal Bierhaus had the right equipment for the job.

“We approached them about collaborating with us on the project and Alistair Turnbull, the owner and brewer of the Lobethal Bierhaus, was happy to help.”

Mr Turnbull said Botanic Ale would be craft pale ale using some “fun” hops to create a unique beer.

“I’m delighted to be working with Coopers and the Botanic Gardens on what is a unique project,” he said.

The Director of the Botanic Gardens of South Australia, Stephen Forbes, said Botanic Ale was an opportunity to demonstrate how plants are utilised in daily life and connect urban communities to the farming industry.

“Our visitors watched the barley crop grow, experiencing agriculture in the heart of the city, and through the production of Botanic Ale are able to make the link between cultivating a crop and creating a great product,” he said.

Botanic Ale is expected to be bottled later this month, with a special label having been designed to mark the collaboration.

Coopers Brewery is the largest remaining Australian owned brewer and last financial year produced a record 75.3 million litres of beer.

The Lobethal Bierhaus is a craft brewery which opened in May 2007. It produces about 150,000 litres of beer a year sold through its cellar door and on-site restaurant on the main street of Lobethal, as well as in 150 local and interstate venues.

The Botanic Gardens of South Australia manages Adelaide, Mount Lofty and Wittunga Botanic Gardens and undertakes a range of scientific, education and community programs to connect people with plants."

(ATTN: LUSTY) Described by Dr Tim as an "American IPA" type beer biggrin

1200 litres = 1600 tallies. I hope there are some left by the time I make my maiden voyage to Adelaide in late November.

Cheers + beers all,

Mark

Firstly, excellent find Mark! happy

I'm a big supporter of Coopers, & what Alistair & his partner Rose are doing at the Lobethal Bierhaus & for craft brewing here in Adelaide. To have a developmental collaboration also involving a specialized barley grain developed here in SA with both parties involved is really fantastic! cool

Add to that, the first beer (dare I think there may be others to follow?) is an IPA developed with the Coopers brewers involved, & I think I'm dreaming!

Gimme a sec...

* Slap!! * .... * Slap!! *

...no Anthony, it really does appear to be happening!! biggrin

All I can say is... I LOVE IT, I LOVE IT, I LOVE IT!! coollovecoollove

Botanic Ale here I come! Awesome! cool

Cheers,

Anthony.

Lusty' date=' as the Adelaide representative on the forum, I think you should buy a handful of bottles of this beer and distribute them to others on the forum.[/quote']

If I can even get my hands on some of this stuff, I'd gladly share them out with you guys.

I've just left a message of interest about the Botanic Ale on Lobethal's answering service, so hopefully something good comes of that. Having met & spoken with Alistair & Rose on numerous occasions, hopefully that will hold me in good stead.

I'll be bitterly disappointed if I can't get my hands on some of this. crying

It could also come down to which party is handling distribution. whistling

Cheers,

Anthony.

Just an update guys.

I just got off the phone with the Alistair Turnbull of the Lobethal Bierhaus. He was (as he always is) extremely kind enough with his spare time, to call my little plebby self to give me a little more information about what is going on regarding this brew & it's eventual availability.

I've secured a couple of cartons. biggrin (I think) wink

He too expressed a certain amount of excitement about the current venture with Coopers in my conversation with him. I have wished him well in the venture & passed on the expected wishes of the broader craft brewing community behind what he is currently involved in with Coopers & hoped that something like this might continue on in some capacity in the future.

For those that might be thinking of coming over to SA for a holiday of sorts, I would strongly recommend you go & visit the Lobethal Bierhaus , perhaps have a meal along with a few samplers of the beer range, & enjoy a tour of the brewery facilities if it is available on that day.

If you are interested in a bottle of this beer, don't hesitate on asking me to attempt to obtain one for you.

Alistair also mentioned to me that the "CraftyPint" website published an article on this venture 2-3 weeks ago.

That article can be found HERE.

I did like the comments made by Nick Sterenberg when asked this question..

Q: But will it lead to further collaborations by Coopers?

A: There’s no plans to do any more collaborations, says Nick. We’ve always been a friend to the craft brewers and microbreweries – those who are the more genuine ones. We are all fellow brewers and we all want to help them prosper.

(As we said to Alistair) he only has to keep it up for another 145 years to be as big as us.

You gotta like that. smile

Good times ahead. happy

Cheers,

Anthony.

Hi Hairy.

Sorry, I'm not on AHB. That would be like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole! tongue

The release isn't until October 29 (I think), so we'll work something out between now & then OK? unsure

I should also mention in my conversation with Alistair, he eluded that the cost of one carton of the Botanic Ale will be around $86.00. I assume that is if I buy it direct from him @ Lobethal. unsure I'll look into that a little further when next I speak with him or Rose.

Cheers,

Anthony.

A Coopers & Lobethal collaboration is pretty exciting, especially considering the beer is going to be an IPA.

I look forward to your review after tasting Anthony. This will be a good reason for me to visit the botanic gardens come November.

Cheers, Mark.

Hi Hairy.

Good stuff Lusty. If you do manage to score a couple of cases then let me know. No PM on Coopers pinched

Lusty' date=' are you on AHB?[/quote']

I just remembered, Philbo has my email addy (unless he deleted it! lol)

Rather than do the whole post it/delete post deal here on the forum, just ask him (nicely biggrin) to forward it to you, & we'll go from there.

P.S. I will do Mark. smile

Cheers,

Anthony.

• 1 month later...

I'm hoping this little collaboration with the Lobethal Bierhaus is Coopers dipping their toe in the water (so to speak) to test the possibility & interest around an IPA release under their own label.

I've always felt Coopers would make a cracking commercial IPA if they ever wanted to.

My fingers are certainly crossed.

As far as the Botanic Ale is concerned, I'll be giving Alistair a call tomorrow to hopefully secure a couple of cases.

Do you still want a case Hairy? unsure

Cheers,

Anthony.

I've always felt Coopers would make a cracking commercial IPA if they ever wanted to.

I'm really curious as to why they haven't as part of the TC Collection range. I'm sure it must be on the way, perhaps they are still gauging the market as to exactly what kind (and intensity) of IPA would do best in the Aussie market they are mostly targeting.

Hi Porschemad.

I'm really curious as to why they haven't as part of the TC Collection range. I'm sure it must be on the way' date=' perhaps they are still gauging the market as to exactly what kind (and intensity) of IPA would do best in the Aussie market they are mostly targeting.[/quote']

I view this in the same way you appear to. I think an IPA would make a perfect addition to the TC range. I mean let's not BS about things, Coopers are already making a pre-hopped LME concentrate. Is it such a stretch to believe Coopers may escalate that process somewhat into a full blown commercial process?

I understand the market the two pilsner beers are aimed at, but it is like flogging a dead horse at least in this country if they expect it to reap them any huge rewards. They are both lovely beers for the style they are aimed at, & if you look at the current market there does appear to be a gap there to exploit. Unfortunately the term pilsner (or pilsener if that's how YOU say it) does not appeal to the overwhelming drinking public in this country. It's almost looked upon as an imported style of beer of sorts, even though it isn't, & there are commercial beers out there that are marketed as lagers, despite them being predominantly a pilsner given their ingredient makeup & presentation in the glass.

The Celebration Ale is a cracking beer that deserves far more attention than it receives (IMHO), & an IPA would look real good under a TC label! (I reckon)

Here's hoping.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Hi guys.

Earlier today I went up to the Lobethal Bierhaus to catch up with Alistair & Rose, as well as to collect the 2 cartons of the Botanic Ale that Alistair & Rose were kind enough to put aside for me. happy My parents are both retired & I thought they'd enjoy the afternoon out, so asked them to come along with me.

Being a fairly warm day here in SA (33°C I think it got to? unsure) there were plenty of people enjoying the beer, good food & hospitality of the Bierhaus when I arrived mid afternoon. Despite how busy he & his staff were, Alistair was kind enough to take some time out to talk with us, as well as giving us a personalized tour of the brewery itself from the milling room right through to the bottling line & storage area. Very impressive stuff!

Alistair was incredibly kind & generous with his time given how busy he, Rose & their staff were at the time. A very charismatic & humorous character that has a personality that is simply infectious to be around. cool

AlistairLusty.jpg

Given the shirt insignia's I don't think you'll have any problems picking out which one is Alistair. wink

Ooooh, the beer! rolleyes I was lucky enough to enjoy one on tap while I was there, as did my father.

My mother doesn't drink a lot, but doesn't mind a beer once in a while so I suggested she try the limited run Lobethal Kolsch they have on tap atm. Dad & I really enjoyed the Botanic Ale, & Mum really, really enjoyed the Kolsch. love

A very enjoyable afternoon spent with some very hard working, kind & generous people that happen to like beer on a level much like that of myself. coolbiggrin

If you live in SA & haven't been up to the Lobethal Bierhaus, do yourself a favour & take the 45-50 minute drive (from the city) up there & enjoy the hands on hospitality, great beer, food & surroundings.

If you don't live in South Australia, but ever visit Adelaide, make sure to add a visit to the Lobethal Bierhaus into your itinerary whilst you are here. wink

When I got home, I chilled a couple down & took a pic for those interested.

BotanicAle.jpg

For those that drink Coopers beers, you can certainly see the influence their brewers have had with this beer. My congratulations to both Coopers & Alistair & his team for a great beer! It's really, really enjoyable. 5.6%ABV. If I had to categorize it, I'd say something along the lines of an American Pale Ale/IPA with perhaps some Coopers Celebration Ale/Vintage Ale traits. One could look at those traits as being the polish from the Coopers brewers perhaps? unsure It's very well made & a lovely beer to drink. smilecool

P.S. Do you still want one of these cartons Hairy? unsure

Sorry for the long post, but it was a very enjoyable day worth mentioning.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Do you still want a case Hairy?

and

P.S. Do you still want one of these cartons Hairy?

Sorry Lusty, I missed your earlier query.

No mate, I will let you enjoy them. I just got a little excited before. It does look like a nice beer though.

Do you still want a case Hairy?

and

P.S. Do you still want one of these cartons Hairy?

Sorry Lusty' date=' I missed your earlier query.

No mate, I will let you enjoy them. I just got a little excited before. It does look like a nice beer though.[/quote']

Woo hoo!

+1 carton of Botanic Ale for me! biggrin

Cheers,

Anthony.

Alistair looks like a bloody nice guy. I'm not sure what it is, but sometimes I reckon you can tell from a pic someone's character.

Actually, he and Brunhilda have something in common - she's usually infectious too! (Sorry, I had to sweeten the pot so porschemad911 goes ahead with our arrangement!)

I must admit, though, your dad looks a lot younger than I expected, Lusty. So you must be nearly in your teens now? bandit

Hi P2. smile

Alistair looks like a bloody nice guy. I'm not sure what it is' date=' but sometimes I reckon you can tell from a pic someone's character.[/quote']

He really is one of those guys you meet that just ticks all the boxes. Rare these days I reckon. pouty

I must admit' date=' though, your dad looks a lot younger than I expected, Lusty. So you must be nearly in your teens now? [img']bandit[/img]

As you said to me previously, "You're a good boy Arthur". smile

A lot of things get lost in translation in text on a forum, but I just wanted to say I really enjoy your wit, humor, & the intelligence displayed in your posts. cool

Your infrequent attempts at connecting memory recollections I admit, do crack me up! lol

Good luck with that btw. wink

Cheers,

Anthony.

Hi Philbo. smile

Nice thread Lusty. cool

It's been far too long since I went to the Bierhaus' date=' and it doesn't take that long to get there at all. Time to get off my lazy posterior. [img']sleeping[/img]

Have you been able to get your hands on any of this Philbo? unsure

I'd planned to ask you anyway, but would you like me to drop a couple off for you to try at say the Brahma?

I now have a few more than I thought I'd have. winkwhistling

Cheers,

Anthony.

Sounds the goods Lusty.

We'll just promise not to discuss re-culturing yeast. innocent

I don't have much in the way of hoppy beers to trade though man. In fact, I can't even remember the last time I dry hopped. unsure

My Aussie Pale turned out well (hope you like lots of POR), and I have a nice Best Bitter.

This weekend is out but we can discuss via email.

Sounds the goods Lusty.

We'll just promise not to discuss re-culturing yeast. innocent

"Mum" is the word on that one. wink

I don't have much in the way of hoppy beers to trade though man. In fact' date=' I can't even remember the last time I dry hopped. [img']unsure[/img]

My Aussie Pale turned out well (hope you like lots of POR), and I have a nice Best Bitter.

This weekend is out but we can discuss via email.

I was quite happy to just give you a couple (I'd have felt bad if I didn't!), but if you have a couple you'd like me to try in return, that'd be cool. smile

Just flick me an email with a time that suits you, & we'll work something out from there.

Cheers,

Anthony.