Coopers Community

To do ...

King Ruddager

9 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

Next brew on my next days off will be a rice lager. I’m still not sure if I’ll use flaked rice or boil up my own rice and use that. 

Does anyone have any experiences in using both and can offer tips and or opinions. 

Cheers, BB

Depends if you want to spend the extra time to do it. Flakes you can just add to the mash. Store rice you have to cereal mash it. I say save some money and go the 1.20 per kg rice from woolies mate. 

Have a read of this. It’s pretty simple once you do it. Only thing I do is wash the rice before hand and I don’t bother milling it. I find it makes no difference to over all efficiency http://beersmith.com/blog/2013/09/06/cereal-mash-steps-for-all-grain-beer-brewing/

only other thing I do is a 90 min mash and 90 min boil. I think it was captain who suggested when I had clarity issues. Works a treat. 

I do mine on the stove and add it to the strike water to bring it up to the required temp then add the grains. Works well. 

2 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Depends if you want to spend the extra time to do it. Flakes you can just add to the mash. Store rice you have to cereal mash it. I say save some money and go the 1.20 per kg rice from woolies mate. 

Have a read of this. It’s pretty simple once you do it. Only thing I do is wash the rice before hand and I don’t bother milling it. I find it makes no difference to over all efficiency http://beersmith.com/blog/2013/09/06/cereal-mash-steps-for-all-grain-beer-brewing/

only other thing I do is a 90 min mash and 90 min boil. I think it was captain who suggested when I had clarity issues. Works a treat. 

I do mine on the stove and add it to the strike water to bring it up to the required temp then add the grains. Works well. 

Thanks Greeny. 
I was going to use 1kg of flaked rice so would I just use 1kg of dried rice to cook and would the numbers be the same.  

Thanks

Edited by Beer Baron

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Went past a produce/pet shop today. I have tropical fish so looked at them but also saw unmalted wheat at 1.50 a kg. Looked very clean so bought 2kg. I think a witbier might be happening with it. 

Does that mean you then have to malt it or does it just go in the mash as is?

8 hours ago, Journeyman said:

Does that mean you then have to malt it or does it just go in the mash as is?

You have to cereal mash it first mate to get at the sugars. This is quite a good article on it and will explain better than i can

http://beersmith.com/blog/2013/09/06/cereal-mash-steps-for-all-grain-beer-brewing/

• Thanks 1

Yeah, can't remember which batch I did it on now but I think the OG only increased by a point or something, unless it was the one currently carbonating which came out about 7 points higher than normal. Next lager I make I'll try it again and make a note of it. That high OG batch was also brewed with fresh pilsner malt instead of older stuff, although I haven't usually found this makes that big of a difference. 

Yeah I dunno. Perhaps because I let the bag drain for half an hour then squeeze it out, doing a bit of a sparge may not make much difference. 

I'll have to try it on that lager malt bill again or a pale ale, because they are consistent each batch of those styles I brew so it can be compared against batches done my usual way. 

Yep just hoist it up above the wort, the bottom probably sits about level with the top of the urn, or a little higher. 

I only leave it for half an hour because I'm not in a rush on brew days to get everything done ASAP. I tend to go at a leisurely pace. Plus it allows me to do small tasks while I wait like clean up and put away equipment I no longer need on the day.

Edited by Otto Von Blotto

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Next up will be my Black IPA which I will brew on Friday. 

On the weekend I’ll order ingredients for my house IPA and brew that as soon as my Black IPA is kegged. 

The plan is to fill all kegs in my keezer. I have never had all of my taps occupied. 

On 2/16/2020 at 7:13 PM, Greeny1525229549 said:

Went past a produce/pet shop today. I have tropical fish so looked at them but also saw unmalted wheat at 1.50 a kg. Looked very clean so bought 2kg. I think a witbier might be happening with it. 

I bought about 5kg of it a while back. I use it a lot. I’m a fan. I love using it for mouthfeel

On 2/27/2020 at 9:28 PM, King Ruddager said:

Yeah same. Actually I wanted to do this one more on the brown side than black but unfortunately the LHBS didn't have pale chocolate ☹️

Well, second time 'round for the porter (first was infected 😥) and they did have pale choc 🙂 Forgot to swap out some base for smoked malt though ... oh well can't win 'em all.

The list now?

1. SMOTY ale
  2. Chocolate do-over porter
  3. SNPA clone
  4. Leftovers pale 😍
  • Like 4