Coopers Community

To do ...

King Ruddager

P.S. Once you move to all grain brewing' date=' please don't stop posting here on this forum. I hate it when people do that.[img']annoyed[/img] I will still value your advice.wink

When have I ever taught you anything?

Anyway I'll probably keep using a combination of different brew-techniques. It's been a while since I did an actual kit'n'kilo brew, but I still do kits'n'bits all the time. Let's see, my last 10 have included 2 mini-mashes, 4 extract brews, 2 kits'n'bits and 2 which were almost KNK but ... oh actually one of them involved mashing oats come to think of it, so make that 3 mashes, 4 extract, 2 bits and 1 borderline KNK

Mosaic AA down ... Next up!

My take on Timothy Taylor's Landlord. I'm going to split the batch with WLP028 and WLP005.

I'd be keen to know your recipe for that one ... I have my take on Timothy Taylor's Landlord in the fermenter now. Although it tastes completely different with the WLP006 yeast! But very tasty.

Morning Brewers,

Good to read all of the brews on the hit list... I haven't had anything in either FV since Oct. as it's been to hot in Mackay Qld. That has now been sorted as I've finished my FV fridge and TC to keep that temp constant and give me ability to cold crash. I was also told by the wife that if I plan to brew under the house it needs to be tidy so I proposed a deal, it went a little something like this...

I'll build a walk in wardrobe so I can keep the FV fridge/bottles/brew gear etc. in and you can have half to put whatever else in... she agreed. w00t Now I just have to slip the bar build past her!biggrin

I'm still a concentrate brewer but I'll bee adding some grains/hops for that little extra from now on, I haven't put much thought into my list but...

1. Honey wheat beer. (Just received a couple of kilo's of honey from my wife's uncles farm in Vic.)

2. Hopportunity Cost IPA (Behemoth Brewing Clone.)

3. Ol' Brown Dog American Brown Ale (PB2)

4. Pale Ale (Recipe TBA - PA is my regular so I'll always have some in the fridge!)

5. Chocolate Stout (Have to find a recipe for this too but I'm a fan of Young's Double Choc.)

One question.... Has anyone brewed a honey wheat beer, can I use unpasteurized/raw honey or is this risky regarding infection/killing yeast etc? Any good hopping results?

Well, that was really three questions... but I don't want to waste Uncle Ron's honey!!! sad

Couple of picks of my handy work attached.

Cheers

Morning Brewers' date='

I was also told by the wife that if I plan to brew under the house it needs to be tidy so I proposed a deal, it went a little something like this...

I'll build a walk in wardrobe so I can keep the FV fridge/bottles/brew gear etc. in and you can have half to put whatever else in... she agreed. [img']w00t[/img] Now I just have to slip the bar build past her!

No no no no, no no no! Marriage is a partnership. A 50:50 deal. So go immediately and renegotiate. Promise that you will brew down there, and at a mutually agreeable time, you will let her go into your area and tidy it up.

Oh yeah! And the bar is an investment and a great way to add value to the house. You are just protecting her future.

One question.... Has anyone brewed a honey wheat beer, can I use unpasteurized/raw honey or is this risky regarding infection/killing yeast etc? Any good hopping results?

I'm no apiarist, but I'm sure honey has quite a reputation for being strongly antibacterial etc. If it were me I wouldn't be concerned about using it.

Cheerio.

Haha, Thanks Antiphile... I can see the error in my ways!

Good point about honey's antibacterial properties, just had concern as I know I can't feed it to my young fella (<2) cause it can make kids crook??? Don't want it to make my beer crook!

Bar will be a few months down the track so I'll get in touch for some selling tips prior to submitting the build proposal to my partner!

Did the photos I attached work out???

Ahhh. The lightbulb has come on. Don't tell her it's for your nearest and dearest, tell her you are only thinking of the children's inheritance. For some reason, wives can't say no when it comes to their kids.

Unfortunately I couldn't get the pics. There's a thread some half-assed moron started here on how to post pics on the forum.

Edit added: And never ever admit to your trouble and strife that you actually enjoy brewing beer. They have difficulty grasping the concept that you could possibly get any enjoyment from anything other than being in their company assisting them picking out items in dress and shoe stores. Remember (and tattoo on your arm if you have problems keeping it in mind) you are only doing it to save money so the darling girl can buy more of the aforementioned dresses and shoes. I knew I should have picked Marriage Guidance Counselling as my career.

Well I have just placed an order with Craftbrewer as follows:

• 6.5kg TF Maris Otter
  • 500g WY Munich I
  • 500g WY Caraaroma
  • 500g WY Carapils
  • 500g Baird's Roasted Barley
  • 90g Cascade
  • 90g Centennial

This plus ingredients on hand will cover me for the next 3 batches. That should take me until mid-June when I can try my luck with a Bohemian Pilsner.

My next 3 brews will be:

1. Kelsey's Red Ale - my wife's special request after seeing the photo
  2. Oatmeal Stout
  3. Old Ale

Should be fun!

• 3 weeks later...
Well my plans certainly have changed now that I've got an urn' date=' brewing fridge and multiple fermenters on the horizon!! At the same time though I really want (and ought) to do a RoboChoc porter, which doesn't need any of the fancy equipment - how annoying! So previously I had pumpkin ale, oktoberfest and porter on the list, but now I don't even know. Let's see ...

1. Robochoc porter, because I "need" to

1. Oktoberfest, because I can brew lagers in my fridge now

1. Extract based pumpkin ale, as an intro to "urnification"

1. A simple BIAB recipe

1. That mosaic golden ale that someone mentioned earlier[/quote']

Well, this certainly has changed. I did the robochoc porter, but I also did a weird spiced brew (because I wound up with BE1 and OS Lager), then went straight to the BIAB and after that I did a toucan stout!

So ...

1. Viking beer

2. Pumpkin ale

3. Um ... Oktoberfail?

4. More BIAB

5. Drink my current batch of Golden Ale and then do a BIAB Golden Ale

6. Maybe I'll be out of IPA by then so an AG IPA too why not

Crossed one thing off my to do list - mount my bottle capper. I meant to do it a while ago but all my tools were stolen.

Aldi came out with a cheese platter + free board package just in time. The cheese wasn't great, but the board was perfect biggrin

capper_mounted.jpg

I screwed some little rubber feet on to protect the bench surface.

capper_feet.jpg

Makes a nice addition to my little brewery!

brewery.jpg

Oh yes ... the other thing on my to do list was brew with my new hop filter ... after 2 brews I can say that it works great! Nearing the end of the boil in this pic. It goes right down to about 2cm from the bottom of my pot.

boil_hop_filter.jpg

A kumquat hefeweizen looms at some point ...

Our kumquat tree has produced so much fruit this year. My wife's made many jars of kumquat jam and a couple of litres of kumquat liqueur, yet the harvest keeps coming! After reading The Almighty Kumquat today, I selectively picked 400g of the finest, ripest kumquats, washed and sanitized them, then popped into the freezer. I'll add them to the fermenter as the gravity nears expected F.G.

Lager lager lager lager SHOUTING

Lager time.

Happy Pills - a pilsner.

Julebryg - Danish christmas beer.

Stepping up after that with some new hops.

I have just ordered Dana, Pekko, Eureka, Sticklebreact and Calypso.

After those two have fermented I'll harvest and reuse the yeast for a couple of massive ones, the Imperial Pilsner/ India Pale Lager thing.

Maybe use the Calypso for a quaffable refreshing one. Cereal mash for a Mexican? Dunno.

Lager lager lager here too.. I'm sure the Barmy Army lager louts would enjoy a visit here soon.. lol

Basically continuning my pilsners, refining the processes, and next brew day will be the same recipe with unmodified tap water to see what sort of difference that makes. Next sack of malt I get I will try the "normal" Weyermann Bo Pils malt, instead of the floor malted version, and see if there are any real noticeable differences. The "normal" variety is $10 cheaper per sack.

1. Mid Nelson (already brewed' date=' bottle on Friday)

2. Hairy's go to English Bitter recipe

3. Rye Ale with Simcoe; borderline APA / IPA, OG 1050, IBU 50

4. Ol' Brown Dog

[/quote']

Alright gang. These have all been done. Rye Ale (now known as a Session IPA) has been dry hopped and will be bottled on Friday night. Time to start a new list, this lot will probably take me through to the end of Spring.

1. Last Minute Milk Stout (for Winter)

2. Wheat IPA

3. Two Hearted Ale Clone (all Centennial IPA)

4. Coopers Steam Beer

5. Funktown – Golden Ale with Funktown yeast blend from The Yeast Bay – part Vermont Ale Yeast, part Brettanomyces devil

6. All Waimea mid strength Pale Ale

WOO!

Cheers + beers,

Mark

My next 3 brews will be:

1. Kelsey's Red Ale - my wife's special request after seeing the photo
  2. Oatmeal Stout
  3. Old Ale

Alright' date=' another Craftbrewer order placed! The next 4 brews will be:

1. English Old Ale
  2. Lusty's Mosaic Amber Ale
  3. Czech Pilsner
  4. Oktoberfest Lager

Good thing I've got into a bit of a rhythm now! Wednesday night is my alternating brewing or bottling & pitching day each week. So brew and cube a batch one week, then bottle the previous batch and begin fermenting it the next. Repeat as needed biggrin

• 5 weeks later...
1. Viking beer

2. Pumpkin ale

3. Um ... Oktoberfail?

4. More BIAB

5. Drink my current batch of Golden Ale and then do a BIAB Golden Ale

6. Maybe I'll be out of IPA by then so an AG IPA too why not

Well' date=' once again this didn't really happen. I made the viking beer, but then I made an extract golden ale for the sake of doing a video.

On to the Oktoberfail I guess? In fact ... there's cold weather ahead - I might as well do it properly with lager yeast [img']smile[/img]