Coopers Community

To do ...

King Ruddager

Hey Hairy' date='

Glad to hear your back at it.[img']cool[/img] I took a couple of months off from brewing myself until I put down a porter last weekend. I've got a Honey brown ale and maybe an Oatmeal stout planned for the near future.

Lusty will be so pleased to hear that you plan to brew his MAA.

Otto,

I'm sad to hear you and SWMBO parted ways.sad I hope it's for the best.

I told Lusty I would do an AG version of it. And Lusty promised that, if I did it, he would go all grain and do it as well wink

Otto, I am sorry to hear that as well. I enjoyed meeting her last year. Oh, and you too tongue

I'm back after having only brewed once since November too and it's time to re-stock!

Got a tettnang golden ale boiling at the moment ... actually, it's down to the last minute - hold that thought!!

Okie dokie, so, I've got enough of the right sort of hops to be able to do another Big Island IPA, then I'm out of ideas.

1. Big Island IPA

2. ???

• 2 weeks later...

IPA under-way

... cool, that rhymes.

Okie dokie, let's see, I've got LOTS of hops at the moment including magnum, cascade, citra, amarillo, fuggles and EKG, so ...

1. Golden Ale w/Fuggles (could possibly end up as a bit of a weird one)

2. Hoppy American Pale

I'm still low on inspiration though so I need to find something else to make as well. Perhaps some kind of dark ale, although I already have a stout and a porter in stock. Hmmm ...

This thread must have slipped past the radar.. but anyway' date=' thanks Chad and Hairy, it is for the best, I think we want different things in life so yeah. [/quote']

Let me guess, you want peace and quiet but it isn't a part of the female genome tongue

Hi Kelsey.

lol

Not quite tongue just became evident towards the end that we were heading in different directions with certain things' date=' and it wouldn't work staying together.

Mind you she might have a totally different story but that's how I felt/saw it. [/quote']

I too was sorry to read you'd split with your GF. sad

I meant to say something at the time when I saw THIS post of yours. Brake-ups are never normally easy things, & as you seemed to keep it low key, I figured you probably didn't want to talk about it here.

I have a quick cure though. Go down to the next practice session for your old band. Take your favourite cricket bat with you in place of your guitar. When you arrive & open the door, stare straight at the guy that has taken your spot in the band.

I have a feeling you'll be back in pretty much straight away! lol

biggrin

Cheers,

Lusty.

lol "Well I've got this big motherf#$^er of a cricket bat that says I can.."

That's true, although seeing it coming for a few weeks before it happened, probably made things a bit easier after the fact. There's always a reason for breakups, they may not make sense at the time but when you look back on it later, they often do. In saying that though, an awful lot of couples these days seem to break up over the most trivial crap, that in the past would have just been an argument then get over it.

With regards to the band I'm not in a great position to re-join at the moment, partly due to their commitments coming up, partly due to me focusing on cricket more, and also enjoying not having to do all the PITA stuff that comes with playing in a band. The last thing I wanna do after a 12 hour work day is bugger off somewhere and play loud music for a couple of hours. lol

Rather just come home and RDWHAHB wink

I too used to jump around the lounge room using a cricket bat (or tennis racquet) as a guitar.

Given that picture of your first Grainfather beer that appears to be on the ceiling' date=' I wouldn't consider it too far fetched for a person to believe you still do! [img']lol[/img]

biggrin

Cheers,

Lusty.

I too used to jump around the lounge room using a cricket bat (or tennis racquet) as a guitar.

Given that picture of your first Grainfather beer that appears to be on the ceiling' date=' I wouldn't consider it too far fetched for a person to believe you still do! [img']lol[/img]

biggrin

Cheers,

Lusty.

This was always a favourite:

Also the best way to bring forward your brewing schedule. I think you've got it sorted out

Good point. I only have one a night' date=' so 5 a week, plus a few more on Saturdays before I go out. None on Sundays. I'm just glad I've only got two more bottles of that weird tasting lager left, before I can move on to the good tasting batches of pale ale and red ale. [img']lol[/img]

Cheers

Kelsey

I did a stocktake of the hops in my freezer and tossed a couple of really old ones.

I currently have 1.07kg of hops made up of 16 different varieties. So it looks like I will be doing a few brews with a variety of hop combos to use them up.

Lots of things I'm looking forward to brewing! Top 2 are:

• Hobgoblin clone
  • Oatmeal stout

Seeing as the Coopers Hop Gobbler recipe was so tasty, after hearing an interview with the head brewer from Wychwood with quite a bit of detail about the Hobgoblin recipe I will try to come up with a nice recipe based on the following details:

Grain

90% Simpsons pale malt

8% Simpsons 150EBC crystal malt

2% Simpsons choc malt

OG = 1.046

FG = 1.011 – 1.012

Mash 60mins @67C

Sparge @ 72 – 76C

Hops

EKG (50%) & Fuggles (50%) @FWH (80C) (24 - 26 IBUs)

Lots of Styrian Goldings (80%) & Cascade (20%) @flameout (15mins hop stand)

Ferment with British Ale yeast – start at 16C and allow to rise to 20C

Also got half a bag of Amarillo in the freezer that I split with a mate - looking forward to trying that out in something but not quite sure what yet.

Hey John,

I just recently brewed a Ordinary bitter that that kinda' sounds like what you're planning. Your recipe sounds quite nice. I'd be interested in the outcome.

One Armed & Bitter British Pale Ale

4.5Kg ESB Malt

.9Kg Munich malt

.5Kg Crystal 80L

.15Kg Chocolate malt

13g Nugget (14.5%) 50mins

30g Fuggles (5.3%) 20mins

25g Styrian Goldings (4.8%) 0mins

25g S. Goldings Dry hop

40L (50% RO in the mash to reduce pH)

S-04

14g gypsum (added to mash) Mash pH 5.0 (a little low, but will adjust next time)

IBU: 26ish OG: 1.040 Mashed @ 67C for 60mins NO-Chill adjusted

Your recipe sounds quite nice. I'd be interested in the outcome.

Thanks mate' date=' will keep you posted. This is the recipe I have come up with:

[b']Grain[/b]

1.9kg Simpsons Maris Otter

170g Simpsons 150EBC crystal

45g Simpsons chocolate

Mash @ 67C for 60 min, sparge with 74C water, 60 minute boil then siphon to cube.

Hops

9g EKG @FWH

9g Fuggles @FWH

12g Styrian Goldings @flameout (15 minute steep)

3g Cascade @flameout (15 minute steep)

Yeast

White Labs WLP023 (Burton Ale)

Beersmith gives the following stats ...

Estimated OG: 1.046 SG (70% efficiency)

Estimated Color: 29.3 EBC

Estimated IBU: 33.2 IBUs (27 IBUs for FWH additions)

Edit: Volume into fermenter = 10 litres

Your recipe sounds good too, the Munich would be a nice touch. How did it turn out? Or too early to tell?

It's been awhile since I've been on here, but I have been busy writing books & brewing/researching. I finally got my German dampfbier pretty close to the rare original. Getting ready to bottle an English bitter kit from Morebeer up here that was so good last time I didn't have the heart to mess with the recipe. Got a starter going with WL029 kolsch yeast for an extinct East German style called kottbusser. It has oats, honey & molasses in it, but is lighter colored, dry & only hints at sweetness they say. No original recipe left from 1500AD though. So we've been coming up with recipes from descriptions given of it. I converted it from all grain to partial boil, partial mash biab.

I don't really have much in the way of beers lined up to brew. But brew whatever strikes me at the moment. Beersmith2 comes in quite handy in this regard. I'm surprised that some styles go out all together, or become rare when they seem to be nicely balanced?

• 2 weeks later...

On the horizon...

• Extract based American Pale Ale (experimental)

• Toucan Coopers kit based American Pale Ale (experimental)

• Extract based Murray's FRED IPA inspired brew (primarily Zythos hopped)

• A Dark Ale of some kind for the winter

Cheers,

Lusty.

Water.

Has been on the horizon for a while then Chad's post got me to do the research. I am intrigued and so I will revisiting some of my favourite recipes with some minor water adjustments.

Will do the following house brews starting with minor (and singular) salt additions, Gypsum in the Pacific and Pale and Calcium Chloride in the Bitter.

Valley Pacific Ale

Valley English Bitter

Valley Pale Ale

This is the starting (adjusted) water profile and it will be fine tuned as I go and I might even do a Stout, this will be a more complex water profile.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew