Coopers Community

To do ...

King Ruddager

Clean shed

create workbench

finish power connection to shed

Brew day with Wachey- for above mentioned barrel aged RIS.

Brew larger batches.

Brew a lager.

Research into white stout- made an NEXPA, meh really hoppy and delish but it's a meal on it own. This has led me to the white stout route given I made a nice thick beer just gotta add choc and roasted flavours

Also the list gets bigger never smaller.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Interesting any chance of some more info   ....   

If you want free there's the IanH Spreadsheet available for download somewhere, or web-based there's the Brewers Friend Recipe designer:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/calculator

Or, if you don't mind spending a small amount of $ there's the ever popular Beer Smith:

http://beersmith.com/

😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/16/2019 at 8:28 AM, porschemad911 said:

Or maybe a smoked porter if my LHBS has the right malt in stock.

And they did! So I'm going with the this recipe for a smoked English porter ... keeping it fairly toned down.

2.5kg Cooper's Schooner Ale malt
500g Best Malz Smoked malt (beech wood smoked)
150g Simpson's Medium crystal malt
150g Voyager Chocolate malt

30g EKG at FWH (60 min boil)

White Labs WLP028 Edinburgh Scottish Ale yeast

11 litre fermenter volume, 1.051 OG, 33 IBU, 51 EBC

Cheers,

John

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Titan said:

I would go easy on the smoked malt. Last one i did was 100g light peat smoked and to be honest its slighly too much smoke for me.

Yeah The Captain's got it... Best Malz say start with 10%, others say go for 20%, so I'm starting at around 15%.

Cheers, 

John

Hey John

I brewed a smoked porter for the NSW state comp last year.  It was too young and did not score well overall, but the notes on the smokiness were positive.  I've still got some and it is drinking better than it was 6 months ago.  Smokiness is just right for me.

Here's my malt and hop bill

It's a recipe from a book and the recipe is from the Beavertown Brewery.  The beer is their Smog Rocket.  9 malts!  Could definitely simplify it if I were to brew again, but as a first go I followed the recipe to the letter.

This recipe was 29.94% smoked malt.  The beechwood stuff is quite mild.  Go on have a taste of some grains.  The smokiness is just a hint and that is why I used almost 30% and it wasn't overhwhelming.  Some commerical smoked beers I have tried are waaaaaaaaaaaaay smokier.  I suspect that is how to sell a special release.  Make it stand out above the rest, sometimes to the detriment of the balance of a beer.

1.53 kg BEST Smoked (BESTMALZ) (6.0 EBC) Grain 2
1.53 kg Gladfield Ale Malt (6.0 EBC) Grain 3
560.0 g Gladfield Munich Malt (15.5 EBC) Grain 4
410.0 g Uncle Toby's Rolled Oats (2.8 EBC) Grain 5
310.0 g BEST Chocolate (BESTMALZ) (900.0 EBC) Grain 6
310.0 g Brown Malt (128.1 EBC) Grain 7
310.0 g Gladfield Dark Crystal Malt (190.0 EBC) Grain 8
100.0 g Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (19.7 EBC) Grain 9
50.0 g BEST Black Malt (BESTMALZ) (1200.0 EBC) Grain 10
4.5 g Magnum [12.1%] - Boil 60 min Hops 11
4.0 g Hallertau Magnum [14.8%] - Boil 60 min Hops 12
14.0 g Chinook [11.6%] - Boil 30 min Hops 13
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, joolbag said:

I brewed a smoked porter for the NSW state comp last year ...

Thanks very much for sharing your experience Jools. So reading between the lines, what you are saying is add a higher proportion of smoked malt and then also make it an imperial version? That last part could be of my own volition of course ...

This is coming to the boil now after a 90 min no-sparge mash ...

3kg Cooper's Schooner Ale malt
1kg Best Malz Smoked malt (22.7% of the grain bill)
200g Simpson's Medium Crystal malt
200g Voyager Chocolate malt

45g EKG at FWH (60 min boil)

That will give 11 litres into the fermenter at 1.064 OG, 45 IBU and 63 EBC or thereabouts.

Should be pretty tasty from the smell of the wort as it is coming to a boil!

Cheers,

John

Edited by porschemad911
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, porschemad911 said:

what you are saying is add a higher proportion of smoked malt and then also make it an imperial version?

My brew had an OG of 1.052, but I certainly think this beer can handle higher gravity! If I were to brew this again I would mash mine higher and use a good English ale yeast. I mashed quite low used US-05. I would prefer my beer to have a touch more residual malt sweetness and a hint on English yeast character.

your beer and recipe sounds good. Keep us posted how it tastes in 4 or so weeks!

Jools

28 minutes ago, joolbag said:

If I were to brew this again I would mash mine higher and use a good English ale yeast.

Good tips! I mashed at 65C for 45 mins and then boosted it to 67C for the remaining 45 mins. WLP028 is meant to attenuate from 70 - 75%, and produce some noticeable esters at my planned fermentation temp of 21C, so fingers crossed I get a bit of malt sweetness and yeast character.

Cheers,

John

John, sounds like your one is going to turn out great with a ferment temp of 21C and WLP029.  Those esters should complement the malt and in particular the smoked malt very nicely.

Mash temp is a tad higher than mine, so should finish a bit higher too, esp if the yeast attenuates closer to 70%.  That's what this forum is all about - sharing knowledge, tweaking recipes and posting the results.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Brewing plans have changed again. I’m such an idiot....... 

1. Black IPA

2. NEIPA

3. Lager

Next up will be the Grainfather kit ‘The Kraken’ which is a Black IPA and it will become my winter beer even though it is quite hoppy. I had it last year and I can’t slam them down because of the darker malts. It was a very nice beer and because I’m not a massive fan of stouts it makes a great cold weather beer for me.

After the Black IPA is kegged I am going to try and make one of those fancy NEIPAs that everyone raves on about. I will just do a 12L batch and put it in my small keg to see how it tastes. I read that the hop punch fades quick and because of shift work I only drink on days off so it makes sense to make a small batch. 

When winter kicks in I’ll brew a lager or two and let them lager until the weather starts to get warmer and start spring with a clean refreshing beer. 

Beer Baron

• Like 1