Coopers Community

To do ...

King Ruddager

I really need to by a bloody grain mill.

If it helps Captain I fully support your buying a grain mill, it's an investment in a presision crafted instrument.

Also it's a good excuse to buy a new cordless drill.

Cheers Pete

I really need to by a bloody grain mill.

If it helps Captain I fully support your buying a grain mill' date=' it's an investment in a presision crafted instrument.

Also it's a good excuse to buy a new cordless drill.

Cheers Pete[/quote']

Thanks Pete,

I’ll take that and run with it!

The wife will be like “why do you need 5 cordless drills?”

“Just cause hunny, just cause.”

• 2 months later...

Pitched with the right amount of yeast and fermented at the right temperature it would probably turn out pretty good. I reckon a lot of issues with home brewed lagers are due to severe underpitching and fermenting too high. I was thinking about doing something along similar lines myself just to see how different it would be with the knowledge and equipment I have now that I didn't have back then, but I enjoy my AG lagers way too much to revert back to a kit, even if it is only for one batch ?.

Edited by Otto Von Blotto

KR, I have done a few kit lagers and a few all grain lagers. I noticed a much fresher and more complex malt flavour in the all grain beers. The kit ones were fine and tasted nice enough, but the all grain ones were definitely a step up.

Cheers, 

John

1 hour ago, King Ruddager said:

Well ... yeah ... of course they do. This is more of an exercise in comparing what I thought then to what I might think now.

Ok got you... It'll be easy drinking and perfectly OK I imagine. 

Cheers, 

John

9 hours ago, King Ruddager said:

So I'm actually considering doing a "Green Neck Lager" per the recipe pages (Euro Lager and BE3).

Waaay back in the day it was the second brew I made and I remember it being not too bad. I wonder how it stacks up now?

Hi King,

I feel your time poor pain (Self employed, 3 kids, 1 on the way ??)

I put together:

Coopers European Lager

1Kg BE3

Hallertau Aroma 25G (Hop Tea)

MJ's Cali Common Yeast (repitched slurry) @ 18C 

21L

It was nice! 

Doing a simple pale ale tomorrow to get my stocks back up then I think I’ll brew a big 10% stout for the winter of 2019. After that I’m thinking a bohemian pilsner. 

But as usual my list changes weekly so who the hell knows.

BB

My to do list consists of cleaning just so I can do another brew day ?. It's a good thing I don't need any wort ready for another few weeks. The urn needs a proper clean after only having the majority of the muck rinsed out of it after the last brew day. At least it's not mouldy though. Gotta finish cleaning up the hop sock and grain bucket as well. And make another 30 odd litres of distilled water for the next lager batch.

The next three on the list are another batch of red ale because it's been a while since I had that on tap, a pale ale trying out another one of my recently bought NZ hops and another German lager. In around August/September I'll do up another porter or stout for next winter; being kegged they don't take as long to mature as the bottled ones ?

Cheers

Kelsey

I just got my order from cleverbrewing the other day, and in it was a few malt bills, tons of hops and a pack of Danstar London ESB yeast to go into the red ale i just brewed. The malt bills consist of a PL Thowback IPA clone, Panhead Supercharger clone as per Gash Sluggs recipe and another NEIPA.

Though this NEIPA is 82.8% pale malt, 14.6% quick oats and 2.5% acid malt to 1.054 in 17 litres. Also the hops will be 300g in total. 100 each of El dorado, Mandarina Bavaria, and Galaxy

Cheers!

Hey rowbrew NEIPA is on my to do list too. Has been for a while now but is slowly filtering its way to the top. Maybe 3rd or 4th on the list now.

I don’t often brew darks, but I have a friend who absolutely loves them so put down a porter yesterday and it is in the cube ready for pitching when my current brew is bottled. I’ll put a post on brew day with the info soon.

ive only recently started playing with oats, 2 brews now. Are quick oats recommended over traditional oats? First time around I didn’t mill the oats, which I think was a mistake. Pretty abyssmal efficiency and the creaminess didn’t come out as expected (400g oats).

second time around I milled and could see the difference in the mash. I have heard once you go oats... you don’t go back

I really want to do a session ale with an ABV less than 4% and push the limits on a hop bomb. Making sure it’s still got body and has as much flavour as a 5-6% beer. The throwback IPA from Pirate life is a good example of this. But don’t want to clone this.

Hey cap, how about brew dogs dead pony club ale? I’m brewing it soon and the hop combos sound good to me.

failibg that there is a recipe from a book I have. “Disproportionately hopped”. Something like 420g hops in a 4% beer. Sound right up your alley (mine too, matter of time)

2 hours ago, joolbag said:

Hey cap, how about brew dogs dead pony club ale? I’m brewing it soon and the hop combos sound good to me.

failibg that there is a recipe from a book I have. “Disproportionately hopped”. Something like 420g hops in a 4% beer. Sound right up your alley (mine too, matter of time)

I didn’t think too much of the dead pony. Thought it lacked body.  Hop combos was good though. 

Hmmm I’ll look up the book. 

Cheers

Captain

Edited by The Captain1525230099

Funny you say that.  I am not much of a fan of the Throwback IPA that so many rave about on here.

Come to think of it, my favourite "session" IPA is Little Bling by Bridge Road Brewers.  Good amount of body in that malt bill.  Suspect a good whack of Munich in there.  Crystal probably too.  I haven't seen any recipes based on Little Bling, but haven't looked tbh

I’ve been looking for little bling but can’t seem to find it over here. Maybe a trip to cape cellars is on the cards. 

Im going to buy that book session beers and have a look through that for inspiration. I find it amusing that session beers to our friends in the US is just beer to us.

Cheers

Captain

Ha yep @The Captain1525230099 I’ve seen a few session recipes in the 4.9-5.2% abv range. I suppose they like them BIG over in the US of A.

makes me ponder... what does a session look like for an American beer drinker? I’d be interested if they have less of these higher abv session beers or a shorter session.

1 hour ago, joolbag said:

Ha yep @The Captain1525230099 I’ve seen a few session recipes in the 4.9-5.2% abv range. I suppose they like them BIG over in the US of A.

makes me ponder... what does a session look like for an American beer drinker? I’d be interested if they have less of these higher abv session beers or a shorter session.

Yeah got to be due to the taxation set up where it’s by volume not ABV content, which is now just part of their beer culture. 

I’m sure it must be shorter sessions. I have six coopers sparkling ales (session beers to our American brothers) and I’m cooked looking for a dim sum or something equally as tragic in the bein-marie of death.

Cheers,

Captain

Same here Cap. I had 6 IPAS last week over 4 hours (2 after work and 4 while watching Avengers: Infinity War) and was well done and dusted and wanting to hit the hay. I think the IPA I had was about same ABV as Coopers red

I have a Saison (not much left) and a simple Galaxy/Cascade pale ale on tap at the moment but given the weather is getting cooler it is time for some winter beers. Next up for me is:

1. Vanilla Milk Stout - I have never made a milk stout before so looking forward to this.

2. ESB - one of my few regular, repeated beers. Will do this with Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire yeast.

Edited by Hairy

• 3 weeks later...

I never thought I would say this but my stocks are full. 

So full that I will have to bottle my stout. 

I won’t be brewing for a couple of months or I might even do a lager while I can put it in the fermentation fridge for 6-8 weeks.