Coopers Community

To do ...

King Ruddager

Finally got my homebrew stuff set up after moving for uni, exciting times! Been months since I've brewed and I need the cheap beer quickish. Doing a Woodeford's Wherry kit and an extract based bitter (I think, I order a custom kit and I'll be honest I forgot what I bought). Beyond that I'm thinking a small batch of smoked beer for my gf (she's a big fan for whatever reason) and probably a cheats Oktoberfest style beer with Ale yeast (given the time of year and my lack of a spare fridge).

Well, I now have 750g of nice ripe kumquats washed, sanitized and then frozen. Looking forward to using them in a kumquat saison fermented in the middle of summer! Last time I brewed a kumquat hefe I used about 500g in 20 litres from memory, and it definitely needed at least twice that much. So 750g in 11 litres should be a good starting point I think.

• 1 month later...

I'm off to the LHBS tomorrow (and then to Big W later in the week). I'll finally be brewing a style that I've wanted to brew for a while but never got around to - American Brown Ale. It's based on Janet's Brown Ale recipe in Brewing Classic Styles, but as a kits 'n bits with some steeping grains and a short hop boil.

Stats

11 litres fermenter volume

1.063 OG

63 IBUs

41 EBC

Ingredients

1.7kg Coopers Mexican Cerveza tin

236g LDM (that's what I have left)

50g Dextrose (to hit the target OG)

100g Chocolate malt

250g Light Crystal malt

30g Centennial @5 mins

30g Centennial @flameout (steeped for 30 minutes)

30g Centennial dry hop

Fermented with Nottingham slurry.

• 4 weeks later...

To do ... an all-grain batch of Coopers Best Extra Stout for my wife!

After a trip to the LHBS and bottle-shop I am all set. Cooper's Best Extra Stout is reputed to be roughly 82% base malt, 8% wheat malt and 10% black malt. My LHBS was out of black malt so I am making do with roasted barley and chocolate malt. I've got a 6-pack of Coopers Pale in the fridge to harvest the yeast from. This time I will follow the Coopers reactivation instructions (using dextrose instead of the LDM starter I made up last time). This will be no-sparge, so nice and predictable but takes a bit more grain than if I did a batch sparge.

Stats

Volume: 11 litres (14 litres end-of-boil)

OG: 1.063

FG: 1.014 (est - would give about 6.8% ABV after secondary fermentation)

EBC: 127

IBU: 55 (aiming for about 45 post-fermentation)

Grain

3.7kg Voyager Veloria malt (75%)

500g BestMalz wheat malt (10%)

500g Joe White roasted barley (10%)

250g Joe White chocolate malt (5%)

Hops

32g Centennial @60 minutes

Yeast

Reactivated Coopers commercial ale yeast

Cheers,

John

Got my BrewDog beers down now. Might continue with the clones while I'm on a bit of a roll so ...

1. ESVA

2. Nail Golden

Then I've got a few more options ...

3. Munich Smash

4. A pale?

5. Mystery Beer

6. Viking Beer!!

7. Pilsner experiments

Well ... that didn't happen. Threw a "Mystery Beer" into the mix instead today ... I think it's going to be like an amber.

Anyway, the ESVA is still a possibility but ... I dunno. Might even try some kind of partial mash viking beer higher up the order using briess's rye extract?

Watch this space ... or don't.

Hmmm... what to brew next? unsure

Well, as it happens another Amber (using some malted rye this time) is on the cards as I have all the ingredients for that ready and waiting... but I am finding it harder and harder these days to get inspired. pouty

Funny thing is, I've NEVER brewed an IPA.... surprised

So... perhaps it's time I did!

Do it Blacksands!!! I love IPA, and you have some great IPA hops right there on your doorstep, local harvest!

I have worked out my next 4 To Do's:

1. Sam Adams Boston Lager (in cube, will pitch when I bottle my IPL)

2. Galaxy Pacific Ale with 100g fresh 2017 Galaxy harvest

3. A salty Gose. Either spiced with coriander or mountain pepper

4. An American Pale Ale with Riwaka in it. Possibly single hop for a taste test

God I love brewing!

Nice work Jools - experimentation and variety are the best things about home brewing! There's no way I could brew the same beer or few beers over and over again.

My Coopers yeast is picking up and on the second stage of culturing. On Friday night I pitched the dregs of 6 bottles of Pale Ale into a dextrose solution, and on Sunday night I added a LDM solution. The fermentation is happening in a 5 litre HDPE container that was once full of fortified from Rutherglen, which I used because it's perfect for aeration by shaking.

I'll probably brew my stout on Wednesday night and pitch on Thursday night. If the Coopers yeast fails me, I've got a ton of Nottingham slurry in the fridge as a backup.

Cheers,

John

Hey John

Yes I do love experimenting! It’s much better when I have tasted a style or a particular beer and know that I like it and have a benchmark to aim for.

Gose is already on the To Do list, which will be a first of the style for my brewery. I’ve had a couple of saisons that I have enjoyed so will do one over summer too. My IPL, inspired by the Grifter and your experiments is almost ready to bottle and I am particularly excited about that one. I love that people share their recipes and weird and wonderful experiments on this forum. I bookmark the ones that I think I would like so there is always something new to try on my list!

Good luck with the IPL jools, hope it turns out great. I have just finished the last of mine (the Centennial batch). The biggest surprise was the Topaz batch. By the time I was drinking the last 6 Tap-a-draft bottle the resinous hop character had mellowed and it was a really nice beer. So in the end it was a very interesting comparison and all 3 batches were very enjoyable.

Cheers,

John

Will keep you posted this time next week because my IPL will be 1 week in the bottle and I always crack one to get a feel for the flavour and how the beer is progressing, even if it is green.

Good quality Gladfield malts (AG), Cascade + Amarillo hops, plenty of S-23 slurry pitched at 10C and fermented at that temp... it has all of the building blocks for a great beer! Don't mind that the lager has tied up the fridge for 4.5 weeks because I built up stocks of beer and not going to run out anytime soon.

• 2 months later...

Clean some bottles. Yes, that's right. Bottle cleaning. I'm gonna be bottling some beer on (hopefully) Saturday. The batch of pale ale brewed with the home grown Cascade flowers is due for kegging on Saturday, and since my 10L keg is tied up with 8 or 9 litres of a blend of the last two ales, the surplus will have to go into some bottles instead. 4-5 litres is a bit much to throw away for my liking, if it was only 1 or 2 litres I wouldn't bother but yeah. At least I only need to do about 12-14 bottles for it though lol

Other things on my to do list are make more distilled water and order more Saaz hops so I can do more pilsners, as well as some NZ hop varieties with the same order to experiment with in pale ales.

Cheers

Kelsey

My 4l ice brick is nice and frozen, so I can get on to my next brew tonight.

I am deciding between a couple of options...

1) An India Brown Saison using an OS Lager kit, some chocolate malt, plenty of Centennial and some fresh Belle Saison slurry.

2) A kit version of my Coopers Best Extra Stout using an IS APA kit, LDM, some chocolate malt, roasted barley and the Coopers commercial ale yeast slurry I've had in the fridge for a while (from the all grain version of the same beer).

I'm currently leaning towards the stout to get the CCA yeast back into action and because there is a few cooler days ahead.

Decisions, decisions...

Hi John, my vote is the 3-way love child! I was planning my next brew and decided on a Nelson Sauvin Saison, very closely modelled on Ben10’s recipe he posted on the thread of the same name.

Whilst looking for recipes I came across Brewdog’s Electric India Saison and if I like my Nelson Sauv version (closer to a classic Saison style), then I will try the Electric India one. The notes say it is the lovechild of a Belgian and hoppy American IPA, and that matches my tastes. Yours goes one further with the choc malt in there and it sounds very interesting, as long as you get the proportions right. Plus you have the yeast slurry, freshly harvested.

Let us know what you do!

Jools

So going to do a yeast tasting experiment on the same pacific ale recipe.

My pacific ale recipe is delicious at the moment but want to get some more mouth feel.

So I figured, why not try a different yeast.

I’m going to do a side by side with US05 and Wyeast 1450.

I’ll report back results

Cheers

Kirk

Hi John' date=' my vote is the 3-way love child! I was planning my next brew and decided on a Nelson Sauvin Saison, very closely modelled on Ben10’s recipe he posted on the thread of the same name.

Whilst looking for recipes I came across Brewdog’s Electric India Saison and if I like my Nelson Sauv version (closer to a classic Saison style), then I will try the Electric India one. The notes say it is the lovechild of a Belgian and hoppy American IPA, and that matches my tastes. Yours goes one further with the choc malt in there and it sounds very interesting, as long as you get the proportions right. Plus you have the yeast slurry, freshly harvested.

Let us know what you do!

Jools

[/quote']

Well, I was all set to brew the Stout, until I realised I was 150g short of Chocolate malt for that. So I went ahead and brewed the India Brown Saison. Centennial smells so good! So the Stout will be up next after I head up to the LHBS to grab some more Chocolate malt. I guess I could have substituted a bit of extra Roasted Barley in, but the roast character I got from 500g Joe White Chocolate malt and 250g Joe White Roasted Barley in my 11 litre all-grain version of the Stout was just so perfect that I didn't want to mess with that bit of the recipe.

As an aside, I find the Joe White Chocolate malt to be very insipid, so you have to use a lot to get much out of it. It is nothing like the British Chocolate malts, which bring a lot more colour and flavour to the beer in smaller quantities. For example 150g of the Joe White Chocolate malt in an 11 litre batch produced an Amber Ale, so I'm hoping the 250g I used in the same batch size tonight gets it into 'brown' territory with a bit more roast.

Cheers,

John

Will be interesting how the yeast, the hops and the roast all combine John. My brewinbuddy recently put down a WilliamsWarn brown ale kit and decided to americanise it by dry hopping it with mosaic.

Well when the beer was young, the Mosaic completely obliterated any of those brown ale flavours! Those hops from BeerCo were well packaged and stored and were fresh. The hop oils were too volatile for the style early on, but it has ,elbowed and melded nicely after a few more weeks in the bottle

Would love to see a photo of the finished beer and tasting notes when you get to that point

• 2 weeks later...

Just placed a hop order of a few new varieties for me. There was no Saaz in stock, so those Bo Pils will have to go on the backburner for a little while, but I did order some Hallertau Mittelfruh to brew some German lagers in the meantime. Also ordered a pound of Cascade so I can keep up my red ales I enjoy so much.

Other varieties were NZ Waimea, Rakau and Motueka as well as Vic Secret from here. I plan to do some single hop pale ales with all these varieties to see how they taste and probably do a few batches with some blends as well.

Cheers

Kelsey

Just placed a hop order of a few new varieties for me. There was no Saaz in stock' date=' so those Bo Pils will have to go on the backburner for a little while, but I did order some Hallertau Mittelfruh to brew some German lagers in the meantime. Also ordered a pound of Cascade so I can keep up my red ales I enjoy so much.

Other varieties were NZ Waimea, Rakau and Motueka as well as Vic Secret from here. I plan to do some single hop pale ales with all these varieties to see how they taste and probably do a few batches with some blends as well.

Cheers

Kelsey

[/quote']

I am really keen to do a 100% NZ pale ale with NZ malt and hops and also the same with Aussie malt and hops.

Youngie