Coopers Community

To do ...

King Ruddager

It's more than interesting' date=' as I've already brewed 3 iterations of this beer & it's terrific! [img']love[/img]

Galaxy Kolsch v.3

My slant on the Kolsch style is a bit away from the norm, but I'm very pleased at where I'm currently at with this brew.

Cheers for digging the link to this one. I might just put it on my to do list of I like the way my Kölsch turns out!

Second that , had thought about trying a bit of rye + wheat in my next attempt .

Already broke the rules by using US hops but not for a comp so as long as i like it !

Hi John.

Kolsch yeast makes for a very tasty beer' date=' but it takes a fair bit of patience. I don't know how you find it Lusty and Waylon, but for me, Wyeast 2565 took forever to drop out and clear up. I imagine that subsequent re-pitches from harvested trub would drop out faster as the more flocculent yeast has been selected.[/quote']

Being a top fermenting yeast the krausen is often more stubborn & reluctant to drop out. Simply use a sanitised spoon & physically remove as much of the krausen that is necessary. That's what I did with my last version of the Kolsch & with a Wyeast 1318 brew I did sometime back, with no ill-effects. wink

Forgive me, but I just had an image of PB2 conducting one of those How-To-Brew practical demonstrations in Dan Murphy's, with him feverishly whacking away with a large spoon on the outside of a fermenter attempting to dislodge the krausen, & the camera then panning around to the stunned crowd! loltongue

Sorry Paul! biggrin

Second that ' date=' had thought about trying a bit of rye + wheat in my next attempt.[/quote']

I'm no expert on rye, & recipes & personal tastes differ, but when I have used rye malt in a recipe, I prefer to switch out the wheat malt portion for it.

Cheers,

Lusty.

I was actually thinking of messaging YVH and just checking it wasn't a typo on the label and they're meant to be 3.1%. unsure

A bit deceiving on their website' date=' as all categories of Czech Saaz & respective crop years state "3 to 4.5% AAU".

Obviously roll the dice, & purchase their hops with your fingers crossed. [img']whistling[/img]

The 1.3%AA has me believing the hops may have been in storage for sometime. unsure

Yeah it's the 2015 crop that I have. I'll just brew it as is, if it's too bitter then I'll know for next time. Can always dilute it with something in the glass.

I've never had any problems with hops from these guys since I started buying from them a few years ago, so it's likely to be the correct figure.

Being a top fermenting yeast the krausen is often more stubborn & reluctant to drop out. Simply use a sanitised spoon & physically remove as much of the krausen that is necessary. That's what I did with my last version of the Kolsch & with a Wyeast 1318 brew I did sometime back' date=' with no ill-effects. [img']wink[/img]

Hey Lusty, thanks for that tip. I was more referring to it being a very powdery strain that takes ages to settle out and clarify (particularly during bottle conditioning) rather than referring to the persistent krausen.

For example, the Coopers PET bottle I filled last Saturday with my Vienna Lager fermented with WLP838 is now nice and hard and crystal clear with a compact little layer of yeast settled on the bottom. In comparison, the beer I fermented with Wyeast 2565 took weeks of leaving the bottles in the fridge to get the yeast to settle out. I don't care one bit about the hazy appearance from the yeast in suspension, but having this particular yeast in suspension did add a little bite to the flavour that didn't quite fit with the beer.

Perhaps I just find it amusing that a lager strain needs less lagering time than a Kolsch strain tongue

Anyway, back to the 'To Do' bit ... and I am really looking forward to brewing this next beer. After enjoying Mitch Steele's IPA book, I want to brew a strong (1.070 OG), pale (all base malt, no Crystal or Munich type malts), dry (1.010 FG), well hopped (65 IBUs, 3g/l end of boil and dry hops), well carbonated IPA as was done early in their history. So nothing like 99% of the British IPAs you can buy today!

For the malt bill, I am using 3kg Maris Otter and 1kg Joe White ale malt (I bought my LHBS out of Maris Otter). Crystal and munich type malts only came to be added much later, so I won't be using any of these.

For the hopping, I am doing a 57 IBU addition at the start of the boil. This is made up of Hallertauer Mittelfrueh, Styrian Goldings, Fuggles and East Kent Goldings. So a mixture of British and Continental hops as was sometimes used at the time. And they're what's in the freezer.

Hopping rates were typically a minimum of 3g/l (after a conversion to modern pellet-based standards) at the end of the boil and dry hopped. So I will be adding a 50/50 blend of East Kent Goldings and Styrian Goldings at this rate at flameout (yielding another 8 IBUs) and the same blend and rate as a dry hop. 4g/l would be even better, but I don't want to buy more hops just to use a little bit more in this batch!

Unfortunately I couldn't get WLP007 Dry English Ale yeast, so I'll be fermenting with WLP002 instead. I'll also pitch a sachet of Coopers kit yeast that I have on hand as well (need to double-check exactly which one that is) to ferment the beer a little drier than WLP002 might get it alone. I want some of the nice WLP002 flavours, but I don't want the residual sweetness.

Unfortunately I don't have a barrel to put it in and a boat to put it on for a 6 month journey across the high seas. I will however let it age and carbonate it a bit higher than is normally done with English ales to match the reports of a champagne-like beverage on arrival.

Should be fun, and I'm interested to see how it turns out!

Cheers,

John

Hi John. smile

Hey Lusty' date=' thanks for that tip. I was more referring to it being a very powdery strain that takes ages to settle out and clarify (particularly during bottle conditioning) rather than referring to the persistent krausen.

For example, the Coopers PET bottle I filled last Saturday with my Vienna Lager fermented with WLP838 is now nice and hard and crystal clear with a compact little layer of yeast settled on the bottom. In comparison, the beer I fermented with Wyeast 2565 took weeks of leaving the bottles in the fridge to get the yeast to settle out. I don't care one bit about the hazy appearance from the yeast in suspension, but having this particular yeast in suspension did add a little bite to the flavour that didn't quite fit with the beer.[/quote']

Both the hazy & clear versions are accepted for a Kolsch. I would assume in much the same way as wheat beers are. My first two brewings of my Galaxy Kolsch I kegged without any long cold conditioning time & you guessed it, much of the yeast was still in suspension & they poured hazy. No biggy for me btw. The most recent version I went to the trouble of cold conditioning it (like a lager) for a full 2 weeks in the fermenter. 2-3 weeks is traditionally recommended for cold conditioning the clearer version of a Kolsch. With no finings (I think? unsure), it turned out beautifully clear & crisp. smile

Perhaps I just find it amusing that a lager strain needs less lagering time than a Kolsch strain tongue

Yep it is a bit weird isn't it. lol You really do need to treat it like a lager strain. On comparison of the two yeasts though' date=' it really comes down to flocculation characteristics. Your lager strain is a medium to high flocker & would likely drop fairly well unassisted, whereas the 2565 is a low flocker & definitely requires some help to force it out of suspension.

...Unfortunately I don't have a barrel to put it in and a boat to put it on for a 6 month journey across the high seas. I will however let it age and carbonate it a bit higher than is normally done with English ales to match the reports of a champagne-like beverage on arrival.

A fellow I used to chat with on a British based forum actually barreled (I think?) an old style IPA exactly like you're planning, & kept it in the boot of his car for quite a few months letting it roll & bang around etc. just like it would have on the old ship voyages! LOL lol

When it came time to drink it he felt it measured up well against what has been written these beers tasted like at the time. Lots of dry hops added for the voyage with the beers being nice & malty but a bit grassy as a result of the long exposure time of the dry hops.

Good luck with it!

Lusty.

Kolsch yeast is similar in the fact it sets off the sulphurs and needs lagering, but different in the fact that it will hibernate under 14 degrees!

Crash chill for 2 weeks a must for Kolsch for me and another 4 weeks in keg...

I think its a great yeast for making clean crisp lager type ales @ 16-18 degrees yes that high...or even great for making IPAs or dark ales...zero fruity funky flavours lets the malt and hops shine

• 2 weeks later...
A fellow I used to chat with on a British based forum actually barreled (I think?) an old style IPA exactly like you're planning' date=' & kept it in the boot of his car for quite a few months letting it roll & bang around etc. just like it would have on the old ship voyages! LOL [img']lol[/img]

Lol, it would have quite a journey in the boot of my little Ralliart Colt, with all the roundabouts here in Canberra!

Oh dear, suddenly I'm facing a weekend with enough time for TWO brews (one simple, one all-grain) but I have no idea what to make!!

I want to do an all-grain English bitter, but I want to toast some of my own malt for that so that will have to wait. Other than that I've got room in my spreadsheet for an amber, a bitter, a golden ale, an IPA, something leftoversy, "mystery beer", a porter, red ale and even a ginger beer or cider.

Hmmm ...

Perhaps I'll make an AG Smurto's Golden and ... ummm ... TC's Amber K&K? Or Robochoc Porter maybe?

Gah!!

Help?

• 4 weeks later...

My to do list is more of a shopping list at the moment. I'll be heading to Craftbrewer on Thursday for a "few" things

A sack each of TF Maris Otter and Wey Boh Pils malts (both floor malted)

3.5kg of Barrett Burston pils malt for another XXXX rip off

2kg Medium crystal

Wyeast 2042 for the rip off, and Wyeast 1272 to replace the US-05

An oxywand for use with my oxygen tank for aerating wort, and some line as well I suppose although I have spare line next to the kegerator.

A new hopper for my mill

And if they have any Amarillo I'll grab some of that too, although it is out of stock on their website.

As for brews, I have an all Citra pale ale planned as well as one with Simcoe. Not sure if I'll blend the Simcoe with something else or use it on its own late and dry just to see what it is like. Another XXXX rip off batch to use up the Cluster, probably another ESB to keep the 1469 going and a Bo Pils somewhere in there too. With the warmer weather now I expect I'll be brewing more pale ales than usual to compliment the Bo pils; it's not really the weather for things like red ales at the moment, but a nice refreshing ESB would probably go well.

Cheers

Kelsey

• 1 month later...

I have some time to churn out a couple of beers over the Christmas break. The next ones on my list are:

1. Rye IPA with Simcoe, Brooklyn and Galaxy

2. American Wheat Ale with Sorachi Ace

3. Pale Ale with Azacca

4. ESB - perhaps my usual grain bill but with some Galaxy and/or Simcoe.

• 4 weeks later...

On Monday I have the second and final incarnation of my XXXX Bitter rip off being brewed. I want to see what difference it makes when I fix the water a bit, and use the proper malt and yeast for it. This will use up the rest of the Cluster that was left over from the first batch. After that, I'm brewing a batch with my home made crystal malt. I haven't really decided on hops, whether I'll make it like an APA or an ESB... might go the ESB route to give the 1469 another go before it dies off or something. And then, I'll brew the APA I have planned with Cascade, Citra and Simcoe together.

I'm hoping to get two brew days done next week, with the third one being done on Australia Day.

• 7 months later...

So I just brewed a stout in the middle of lager season, which wasn't my smartest move ever given that I have a bunch of lagers I want to brew and now the fridge is set to ale temperature, but oh well. My current "to do" list includes (in no particular order) ...

- Nail Golden Ale clone

- Brew Dog Dark Lager clone ("Zeitgeist" I think?)

- Low carb lager for SWMBO annoyed

- Extract Oktoberfest

- Munich smash

- An IPA I suppose ... actually ... maybe I'll do that next

Anyone got a good extract recipe for an IPA? Maybe I'll look through the briess catalogue and hop the hell out of it

How about some of the Stone IPA recipes that are on byo.com?

The Stone IPA is good, I brewed that as a partial mash and it's very enjoyable at the moment. The ruination IPA looks like an absolute beast of a beer too, it's on the TO DO list for me in the future

Well, once again (and finally!) I have a nice, full looking schedule ahead of me

1. SWMBO's Mild Lager

2. Extract Oktoberfest

3. Brewdog "Zeitgesit" dark lager

4. Nail Golden Clone

5. An IPA

6. Munich Smash

7. An APA

That ought to keep me busy for a while!!

Looks good Ruddy. I will be interested to see how you go with the Nail clone. My to do list looks like this

1. Mosaic Amber Ale

2. Golden Rye with Riwaka

3. Red Ale with Topaz

4. Pacific Ale with, suprise suprise, Galaxy!

• 3 weeks later...

Just checking back on this and I'm actually doing what I said, and will probably also continue as planned. What on earth is going on??

Done ...

- SWMBO's Mild Lager

- Extract Oktoberfest

To do ...

1. Brewdog “Zeitgesit” dark lager

2. Nail Golden Clone

3. An IPA

4. Munich Smash

5. An APA

Maaaaybe I'll escalate the IPA because I don't have anything super hoppy at the moment so I keep having to buy expensive IPAs from the local when I get the itch for one.

Mine are pretty much as normal...Bo pils to keg on the weekend, next in FV is another batch of red ale, then

APA with home grown Cascade,

Yet another Bo Pils,

ESB

Another APA with whatever hops

Another Bo Pils

Another Red ale

Another APA

And so on and so forth... There will be a stout or porter thrown in there somewhere too, for next winter.

Cheers

Kelsey

I have a can of Coopers real ale to use up and never tried it before. So i was thinking of this, any feedback welcomed biggrin

Real Ale can

1kg LDM

300g Medium Crystal

250g Dextrose

150g Maltodextrin (need to use up)

20g Riwaka 2017 hops @ 15mins

IBU 35.8

ABV 5%

Not sure what yeast to use, probably just use a US05

Cheers,

Hoppy