Coopers Community

what happened

burky from SA

:cry: Winter used a you beaut fish heater set at 25 degrees cling wrap with rubberband small pinhole in gladwrap brew went through the 4 stages of fermentation bottled and left for 14 days or more brew has a funny sulpher like taste i have made plenty of brews in the summer using the airlock and they were fine any help would be appreciated cheers burky :roll:

Firstly, it is nothing to do with using cling wrap instead of an airlock.

Sulphur is normally a symptom of the yeast being stressed, more common with lager yeast. It dissipates over time.

If you are fermenting with ale yeast, go for a temp closer to 20-21C and can you give us the details of your recipe?

I recommend not to immerse anything into the brew. Had a case recently where the homebrewer was meticulous with cleaning, had replaced the fermenting vessel but still had a bad smell and taste with some of his brews. He sent a bottle in for analysis - it was infected and after a long discussion, he finally revealed that he uses an aquarium heater - bingo - the source of the problem.

:oops: Thankyou Paul yes i did use an aquarium heater brand new from the shop also sterilized it beer is fine looks good in the glass also has nice head but just tastes different anyway enough of my harping brew was coopers mexican cervaza coopers brew enhancer 2 cheers burky :oops:

Okay, Coopers Mexican Cerveza has a Lager/Ale yeast blend and it benefits from lower temperature ferments (21C or down to the 16-18 mark if you like).

As said before, I recommend you don't immerse anything into the brew - that new aquarium heater is now second-hand and is an excellent source of infection.

• 5 weeks later...

Yeah, if you're that keen to control temps, buy a 2nd hand fridge and go to mashmaster.com.au and get one of their temp controller kits. Then you can turn your fridge into a big brew incubator, and it will control your temp to within 1C. Works like a charm. You can also use it to control a lamp or whatever to heat it, if necessary.

I did a nice north german styled lager this way.. (except I have a converted tuckerbox). Came out brilliantly.

Archived