Coopers Community

Robo choc

bert

Hi I just purchased the Robo choc, recipe of the month. I'm stepping in to new territory here with the grains that come with the kit , It says in the recipe section to soak the grains over night in the fridge which I don't have a problem with, But my question is do I have to crack the grain first with a rolling pin and cloth , or do I just soak them as is, and also do I use both the yeasts in the kit, Any other input would also be welcome regarding this recipe, Cheers Bert

Thanks Ben will do. I also see the recipe says to use 200grams of the chocolate malt and yet there are 300grams in the pack they sent, should I only use 200g of the choc malt or use the lot, will it make much difference ? The white sugar in the kit seemed a bit strange too, is that ok or would brown sugar or dex be better. In the coopers email it says you can leave the sugar out so would I be right in thinking its only there for alcohol strength. bert

I also see the recipe says to use 200grams of the chocolate malt and yet there are 300grams in the pack they sent' date=' should I only use 200g of the choc malt or use the lot, will it make much difference ? The white sugar in the kit seemed a bit strange too, is that ok or would brown sugar or dex be better. In the coopers email it says you can leave the sugar out so would I be right in thinking its only there for alcohol strength. bert[/quote']

Hi Bert, are you sure you aren't looking at the dark crystal? That is 300g. I just had a look at my pack and I have 300 dark crystal, 200 chocolate and 100 roasted malt.

Regarding the sugar, I think I saw somewhere on the forum that it helps attenuate the brew and that it has been used by English breweries for many years. You could certainly leave it out without a major difference, other than ABV. When I do mine, I'll be chucking it in. I usually follow the recipe the first time I do a brew, so I know what base I am moving from when I change it.

Hope that helps!

Adam

rightfulrightful

Don't get hung up about simple sugars (white sugar, brown sugar raw sugar, belgian candy, dextrose, etc.).

Simple sugars have a place in beer making. Some of the greatest beers in the world use simple sugar!

For your own purposes, you will make good brews by using the rule of thumb, "Keep simple sugar additions below 20% of total fermentables".

Looking at total fermentables in the Robo Choc recipe (and ignoring the spec grains):

(1.7kg English Bitter + 1.5kg Amber Malt) + 250g White Sugar = (1.7 + 1.5) x 0.8 + 0.25 = 2.81kg

*this is taking into account the conversion of extracts, being 80% solids, to dry weight*

So the percentage of simple sugar in this brew:

0.250 / 2.81 * 100 = 8.9%

And the idea that simple sugar is a cheaper option for commercial brewers than using all malt may have been correct once upon a time but not these days...

Hi Adam, the packet says 200grams but if you weigh the packet its 300g , please try it yourself and see . Thanks for that PB2 I will happily put the white sugar in then, Maybe PB2 can tell us why there is 300g in the 200g stated packet, Was it a miss fill or a miss typing on the packet, It would be nice to know?

Hi Adam' date=' the packet says 200grams but if you weigh the packet its 300g , please try it yourself and see . Thanks for that PB2 I will happily put the white sugar in then, Maybe PB2 can tell us why there is 300g in the 200g stated packet, Was it a miss fill or a miss typing on the packet, It would be nice to know? [/quote']

Indeed you are correct, I just weighed mine (in the bag) and get ~308g. Interesting.

If it turns out to be that the recipe is 200g, then we have 100g for another beer! Gotta be happy with more beer ;)

Maybe PB2 can tell us why there is 300g in the 200g stated packet...
Dunno unsure Things can happen when you use a third party packaging company. rolleyes

The recipe is:

300g Crystal' date='

200g Choc,

100g Roast

Save the 100g of Choc for another recipe but don't be concerned if you have already used it [img']biggrin[/img]

rightfulrightful

Don't get hung up about simple sugars (white sugar' date=' brown sugar raw sugar, belgian candy, dextrose, etc.).

Simple sugars have a place in beer making. Some of the greatest beers in the world use simple sugar![/quote']

THANK you!

I've been trying to tell people this for a VERY long time. Especially when brewing bigger beers I find the addition of simple sugars a must unless you want a thick, cloying, malt soup. Many craft beers I try (especially IPAs) are way to thick, and I would say that they could do with adding some sugar.

My IPAs and big Belgians generally have 500g and more, and never have I tasted any defects in them. The Brits use shitloads of simple sugar, and their beer is amazing.

Sure, if I were making a 1.040 beer I'd leave it out or use it sparingly, but when brewing bigger beers (1.050+) you can go pretty nuts with no ill effects.

• 2 months later...

Anyone tried ROBO CHOC yet ?

I brewed 2 batches of it and it tastes very bland, but very strong alc.

I did have a couple of issues with this brew, just wondering what others that have made it and tasted it think about it ?

Guzz

Hey Guzz

Maybe black beer isn't for you. I haven't brewed the Robo Choc but I loved SteveL's EB Porter, not bland but roasted coffee/chocolate like. I don't mind dark beers but one or two in a session is enough.

Cheers

Scottie

Hi Guzz.

I brewed 2 batches of it and it tastes very bland' date=' but very strong alc.

I did have a couple of issues with this brew, just wondering what others that have made it and tasted it think about it ?[/quote']

I've made 2 batches of a recipe very similar to the Robochoc recipe prior to the DIY recipe being released, & I'd hardly call it "bland".

How long have the batches you've brewed been in the bottle, & what were the "couple of issues" you had when brewing the recipe?

Cheers,

Anthony.

Hi Guzz.

I brewed 2 batches of it and it tastes very bland' date=' but very strong alc.

I did have a couple of issues with this brew, just wondering what others that have made it and tasted it think about it ?[/quote']

I've made 2 batches of a recipe very similar to the Robochoc recipe prior to the DIY recipe being released, & I'd hardly call it "bland".

How long have the batches you've brewed been in the bottle, & what were the "couple of issues" you had when brewing the recipe?

Cheers,

Anthony.

Batch #1 = 42 Days

Batch #2 = 29 Days

The issues I had with the brews were, and this is a little embarassing, the 1st Batch I forgot to crack the grains when steeping, the 2nd Batch was similar, but I kind of cracked, mushed em while in the steeping pot. Not ideal I know. Those mistakes Ill never make again.

Robo Choc is listed in the Stouts section of the recipes, so I understand that it should stored for a long time to be at its best, the recipe also stated "You may like to reduce the amount of fizz for this style by halving the priming rate" which I did, but it is very under carbed, virtually no head.

Ill store the rest and hopefully they will improve over time.

Had a bit of a run of failures / mistakes latlety, got a little complacent.

Have since put down some great brews and building stocks again.

Guzz

Archived