Coopers Community

Whitelabs PurePitch

Same stuff, just in a sealed pouch instead of a vial.

They look good but my LHBS only stocks Wyeast with regards to liquid yeast.

I think that's why Whitelabs have made the switch. (i.e. to make their product more accessible & to be more competitive with it's main rival) wink

I'm guessing the yeast vials will be phased out? unsure

Cheers,

Anthony.

I'm guessing the yeast vials will be phased out? unsure

I'm guessing so' date=' which is a shame. They are very useful to have.

As far as being the same stuff, yeah, it is, but packaged in a totally sealed environment, which I believe has not been done before. This should mean VERY pure yeast, and increased viability, which is something I am sure we can all get excited about. [img']biggrin[/img]

' date=' but packaged in a totally sealed environment, [/quote']

No it's not.

The new PurePitch packaging is a recyclable' date=' flexible material allowing for increased breathability, reducing the chance of gas buildup and maintaining an optimal environment for the yeast.[/quote']

I supect my brain is going the same way as my groin; it's becoming fuzzy and takes a lot more to get it excited. I really hope I'm wrong here however it looks like a solution in search of a problem.

I don't think I've had a problem with the purity of any commercial yeast. Pricing will be "consistent" which I assume means pretty much the same. And the few times I've used a liquid yeast it wasn't any more inflated than I would have expected (although I seem to recall someone here had a problem with a smack-pack several months back).

If more retailers stock it, it certainly will allow more choice for us. Yet unfortunately they are still going to be limited by how much money they are prepared to invest in their shelf inventory.

But even if worst comes to worst, its still a refreshing marketing exercise.

' date=' but packaged in a totally sealed environment, [/quote']

No it's not.

The new PurePitch packaging is a recyclable' date=' flexible material allowing for increased breathability, reducing the chance of gas buildup and maintaining an optimal environment for the yeast.[/quote']

I think you'll find Philbo is referring to the fact with Whitelabs new process there is NO transfer of the yeast throughout the process. The yeast cultivate in the same package they are eventually sealed in, thus reducing the chance of contamination &...

...to create yeast that has never been exposed to the environment.

Cheers,

Anthony.

I think you'll find Philbo is referring to the fact with Whitelabs new process there is NO transfer of the yeast throughout the process. The yeast cultivate in the same package they are eventually sealed in' date=' thus reducing the chance of contamination &...

...to create yeast that has never been exposed to the environment.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Yup. 'Tis what I meant.

Archived