Coopers Community

A Pale Ale.

Hi Guzz.

I'm sorry to hear that you are not overly happy with your conversion of said recipe.

Well we can't have that! pouty

I've taken the time to re-read your posts in this thread, have taken on board what you haven't liked about the end beer in the glass/bottle, & have also run your last posted recipe through a brewing calculator to give me some idea of the numbers & as to why some of these undesirable aspects have surfaced in the end beer.

Rather than bore the heck out of you about too many things, perhaps try the following adjustments to your recipe that should help to correct some of the problems you have experienced, & produce a better beer for you as an end result.

Light DRY Malt Extract 2kgs

Dextrose 300gms

Warrior 7gms @ 60mins

Cascade 10gms @ 10mins

Galaxy 15gms @ 5mins

Nottingham Yeast as is already listed

Brew to 20 litres

Tettnanger & Galaxy dry hop as is already listed, but DO NOT add them when pitching the yeast. Add them after approx. 4-5 days of fermentation or once it dies down.

Explanations:

Using dry malt extract in place of the liquid malt extract will increase attenuation.

Increasing the malt content & reducing the dextrose will assist with reducing noticeable harsher bitterness tones in the end beer.

Brewing this recipe to 20 litres will help you hit similar final gravity marks to the AG recipe.

The galaxy & cascade shifts in the boil will help with bringing the IBU down to around that 22 mark unlike your last posted recipe that produced something nearer 29 IBU. This again will help with reducing perceived bitterness.

The dry hopping after 4-5 days (& for no longer than a week or so) should reduce any grassy-like tones from the dry hopping that are often confused with a bitterness of sorts.

I hope that helps. wink

Cheers,

Anthony.

Hi Guzz.

Using dry malt extract in place of the liquid malt extract will increase attenuation.

Cheers' date='

Anthony.[/quote']

Sorry to sound like a dumb ass, but could you explain that in more detail?

Why/when to use lme vs dme?

Cheers MM

i've got a question for the experts here too.

so one of the main complain from Guzz is that the galaxy "taste" was too harsh. would this be from the 5min boil? or would it have come from the dry hopping? which would you guys decrease in order to minimize the "harshness"?

Hi MM.

I'd prefer it that someone more knowledgeable than myself (perhaps PB2) explain the technical differences between the two, but I feel safe in saying that the dry malt extract is a 'simpler' fermentable sugar than a liquid malt extract is.

Cheers,

Anthony.

The brew is the same for both Coopers Light Dry Malt and Thomas Coopers Light Malt Extract. The only difference, at the brewery, is that we don't evaporate the wort as much prior to sending it off in a tanker for spray drying.

So, the sugar profiles are the same for both LDM and TCLME, which means side-by-side brews of equal dry weight additions should see them ferment to the same FG. smile

Archived