Coopers Community

A Pale Ale.

This recipe was extrapolated from 20 hL to 20 L, which was easy, I just divided things by 100.

Batch Size: 20 Litres

Anticipated OG: 1046

Anticipated FG: 1008

Grain: 3.5 kgs Pale Ale Malt (2-row) - Coarse Grind As Is

Mash Type: Multi Step - 11.3 litres before additional infusions

Total Mash Volume: 13.60 L - Dough-In Infusion Only

Protein Rest Temp: 50 Time: 5

Saccharification Rest Temp: 64 Time: 60

Mash-out Rest Temp: 75 Time: 5

Hop Schedule:

6 gms Warrior @ 60 mins

14 gms Galaxy @ 10 mins

6 gms Cascade @ 10 mins

5 gms Tettnanger Dry Hop

25 gms Galaxy Dry Hop

Yeast: Lallemand Nottingham

What I am looking for is how to convert this recipe to extract, after looking at it, the grain bill is very simple, and probably could have worked this out myself. One day Ill have a go at doing it all-grain BIAB, but Im not equipped for that just yet. For you all-grainers, if you like the look of this recipe, give it a go, its a bloody good beer, I can taste it just by thinking about it.

It is a simple grain bill. If you go with all malt then your FG will be too high. You will probably have to go with a mixture of malt and dex, say:

1.5kg Light liquid malt extract

750g Light dry malt

500g Dextrose

This should give you an OG of 1046 and an FG around 1010.

Are you sure you converted the hop schedule correctly? The bittering addition of 60g Warrior @ 60 minutes will give around 120 IBUs surprised

Are you sure you converted the hop schedule correctly? The bittering addition of 60g Warrior @ 60 minutes will give around 120 IBUs surprised

It was 6 gms, not 60 gm, I just changed it in the post above.

Bitterness is low now, but that;s what it is.

It was 6 gms' date=' not 60 gm, I just changed it in the post above.

Bitterness is low now, but that;s what it is.[/quote']

Bitterness isn't low. The IBUs will be around 40, assuming the 60g Cascade @ 10 minutes is correct and depending on the AA% of the hops.

It probably sounds about right for the beer. It will be nice and hoppy.

Ok, Thanks Hairy. I did have the Cascade wrong too, it also is 6 gms, not 60, I have doubled checked these hop amounts now and are correct.

So this is the extract recipe for this beer so far:

Guzz's Pale Ale

Ingredients:

750g Light dry malt

500g Dextrose

Hop Schedule:

6 gms Warrior @ 60 mins

14 gms Galaxy @ 10 mins

6 gms Cascade @ 10 mins

5 gms Tettnanger Dry Hop

25 gms Galaxy Dry Hop

Yeast:

Nottingham

Method:

Boil 5 litres of water, add 1/3 (500 grams) of the LLME, stir and begin the above Hop Schedule.

Cool a little and strain into FV.

Add remainder of ingredients, (remaining LLME, DEX + LDM) and mix thoroughly.

Top up FV to 20 litres

Add the Dry Hops (5g Tettnanger + 25g Galaxy)

Add Yeast. Ferment.

Does that Method sound ok ?

Also, what temp do you think I should ferment at...say 20 Degrees ?

Not sure if adding the dry hops should be done say day 4-5, or just add at the start ?

Any other suggestions ?

Hmm, maybe i should adjust this all to make 25 litres ? = More Beer!

Cheers

Hey Guzz

Looks like you have yourself a recipe. Given that you have scaled this down from 20hl you already know that you are not constrained by volume, so 25 litres is a possibility.

As for the boil I preferred to use LDM rather than LME, it is easy to measure and you don't have to worry about it going lumpy when mixing it in the FV.

As for the hop schedule, I don't believe it is bitter enough for a Pale Ale. Using IanH's speadsheet I only get an IBU of 13 for a 5 litre boil. Even with the hop correction factor off I only get an IBU of 19. May pay to check your calcs, but then I don't know how bitter you like your beers.

Brewing Regards

Scottie

Hey Guzz

As for the boil I preferred to use LDM rather than LME' date=' it is easy to measure and you don't have to worry about it going lumpy when mixing it in the FV.

Brewing Regards

[i']Scottie[/i]

Yes, it would be easier too because trying to pour 1/3 of goopy LME gets messy.

How much LDM though? Im sure there is a calculator of some kind to figure out how much to get to a specific gravity, from memory I want about 1040 for the hop boil yes ?

Cheers

Hey Guzz

Even with the hop correction factor off I only get an IBU of 19. May pay to check your calcs' date=' but then I don't know how bitter you like your beers.

Brewing Regards

[i']Scottie[/i]

Yes, I have checked and triple checked after a couple of errors.

I do like bitter beer, however this recipe is what it is and I want to stay with the info I have.

Apparently I like not-very-bitter beer too. happy

Mmmm, passionfruityness.

19 BU is not enough.

Ok, looking deeper into this, the source of this recipe says IBU Total is 22.4, which isnt much higher than you said, but Im wondering where you got 19 ?

I dont really understand hops and their Alpha % but Im thinking that the following statement is true...

The same Hop eg: Galaxy can come with differnet Alpha %'s which in turn effects the bitterness.

And I note that the recipe does have different Alpha %'s on 2 of the Galaxy Hop additions, even though one of them is at 0 mins (no bitterness) but Im just trying to understand this Alpha % thing.

Cheers

I agree with Ben, 19 UBUs are too low. I would have expected late 20s as a minimum. Did the brewery provide the IBUs in their email?

Also, it isn't important to hit a gravity of 1040 bang on in the boil. Near enough/ball park is fine. I never measured out LME for boil. Usually I did 5 litre boils for extract brewing and used to just estimate 1/3 of the can. Easy wink

Edit - I just read your post that you posted whilst I was typing this. 22 IBUs hey. That is surprising but run with it and see if you like it.

I agree with the direction(s) Hairy, Scottie & Ben 10 are persuading you to Guzz, but I also accept a flavour/style you wish to produce.

As already advised by Hairy, Scottie & Ben 10, I would lean towards approaching that 22.4 IBU level with your hop additions, rather than aiming for the 19 IBU your recipe states, & I'll explain why...

Commercial brewers brew in very large volumes. Home brewers don't. Particularly when it comes to the addition of hops into the boil schedule of your brew there is some conjecture as to the utilization of these hop additions given certain volumes (in litres) that they are introduced into.

A theory known as "Garetz Theory" for calculating hop utilization through the boil suggests a lower final IBU level based on lowering boil volumes that certain amounts of hops are used in. I happen to agree with this theory, & have tested it in a limited capacity as an extract/partial mash brewer.

All that technical jargon aside, I'm asking you to trust Hairy's,Scotties & Ben 10's advice to up your IBU level based on their recommendations. I think you'll enjoy the end result. wink

Cheers,

Anthony.

...snipper

Commercial brewers brew in very large volumes. Home brewers don't. Particularly when it comes to the addition of hops into the boil schedule of your brew there is some conjecture as to the utilization of these hop additions given certain volumes (in litres) that they are introduced into.....

Anthony.

Hey Lusty

This makes sense. I have my own theory about hop utilisation in my little 20l brewery' date=' I think that once I am above 12 litres it is hard to tell the difference, plus when I cool my 14 litre boil volume it takes around 45 minutes so the isomerisation process continues for some time. I have not had the opportunity to make a 20 hl batch, but I trust the utilisation would be as you say. On top of that 20hl isn't going to be cooled as soon as the heat goes off and large breweries would have to factor that in.

I speak from experience, my first extract was too sweet because I didn't have enough hops in at 60 minutes. I prefer too bitter to too sweet, it takes a long time to drink 20 litres of sweet malty beer.

As for the current recipe, increasing to 10g of Warrior will give you a bit of a safety net without affecting the characteristics of the finishing hops too much.

Brewing Regards

[i']Scottie[/i]

OK, Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it.

Going through this process has really helped me learn some stuff.

Ive made some changes:

Now 22 litres and upped the LDM and Dextrose a little to allow for that.

Also upped the Warrior @ 60 + to increase bitterness, also increased the other hops to allow for higher volume.

I think IBU is now up close to 30

ABV about 5.1 %

Guzz's Passionfruity Pale Ale - 22 Litres

Ingredients:

800g Light dry malt

550g Dextrose

Hop Schedule:

10 gms Warrior @ 60 mins

16 gms Galaxy @ 10 mins

7 gms Cascade @ 10 mins

6 gms Tettnanger Dry Hop

28 gms Galaxy Dry Hop

Yeast:

Nottingham

Method:

Boil 5 litres of water, add 1/3 (500 grams) of the LLME, stir and begin the above Hop Schedule.

Cool a little and strain into FV.

Add remainder of ingredients, (remaining LLME, DEX + LDM) and mix thoroughly.

Top up FV to 22 litres

Add the Dry Hops (6g Tettnanger + 28g Galaxy)

Pitch Yeast @ 24 Degrees.

Ferment @ 18-20 Degrees for about 2 weeks.

I will be brewing this next week as both my FV's are busy right now, Ill be sure to update in the coming weeks/months. Depending on results, I may change the dry hops to DAY 4 or 5 in the next batch.

Cheers biggrin

Guzz

Hey Guzz

Good luck in your brewing exploits as you attempt to clone your favourite beer. I know you will brew many iterations, and I also know that this is more than half the fun. You are certainly starting from a good base.

Thanks!

This is my 100th post on this forum, I've asked a lot of questions, answered a few too.

The advise you guys give is priceless and for anyone wanting to learn about making beer, this is a great place.

My advise to people wanting to brew better beer is:

* Ask questions here and listen to the answers.

* Use the search function and read lots of posts.

* Try some of the Ale Recipes from this site including the Recipe's Of The Month

* Buy & Drink Coopers Beer & Ingredients: From the Tap when your out & the Coopers DIY beer!

* Don't post when you've had more than 7 beers (6 is fine though)devil

Cheers

Guzz

I called into Dan Murphys and bought a beer that is very similar to your recipe biggrin

It isn't very bitter at all. Seems more than 19 but if you get your IBUs in the mid to late 20's then you should end up with a nice beer.

Not having used tett-a-whatever that hop was I am left wondering if a 5 or 6g addition as dry hop will make ANY impression at all on a home brew scale.

Not when it is combined with 25g Galaxy.

Ive used Tettnanger once before.

Wals Blonde with 12gms dry hop Day 1.

My tasting notes say "Brew this again, Tettnanger is good"

Like the Galaxy, it had passionfruit flavour.

Agreed it looks very small in this recipe, but hey, maybe it's the secret ingredient tongue

• 2 months later...

Thought Id update this old thread with the results.

There would a be a few of you that may remember it, I was trying to replicate one my favourite beers from a local unnamed craft brewery, I had the full recipe which we converted to extract.

The results were ok, but not great.

The aroma is very, very close and got me quite excited, however the taste is a fair way off.

The head is lacking, and retention and lacing isnt great.

Its drinkable, but I wouldnt do it again just yet, however more recently I have brewed another batch of it, with only slight variations (a bit more LDM), so I expect similar results, havent tried the 2nd batch yet (about 30 days bottled.

One thing of note is that it took quite a while before if was drinkable, its 95 days in the bottle now, and its only now I would call it "OK" to drink. Before now the Galaxy was harsh, too strong, but it has mellowed now is nice enough to drink.

I would'nt call it a failure, but not a success either, except I did learn a lot doing my first extract brew.

Maybe Ill try it again in the future if I can come up with some ideas to improve it. Maybe a little grain steep, a touch more bitterness, back off the galaxy a tad...dunno....

Seems that replicating a high quality craft beer aint as easy as I'd hoped, considering I had the full recipe, something got lost in the conversion to extract.

Cheers

Guzz

Archived