Coopers Community

New PET caps

The A man

Hi guys,

Bought a box of coopers PET bottles yesterday from Dan Murphys and noticed that the lids have changed to a pretty cheap feeling lid with no seal. Previously i used the lids twice but i really dont trust these new caps even for a single use!

Does anyone have any experience with this new style of cap and can they be used more than once?

Sorry i couldnt figure out how to get the photo to actually show up on this page so i have inserted a link to my dropbox with the old style cap on the left and new style on the right.

20140415_193427.jpg

PET caps image

Cheers

Alex

What do you mean by no seal?

No blue diaphram thing?

yeah there is no blue diaphragm bit under the lid.

I did test one before i used them all and it seemed to be sealing ok, when the bottles come under full pressure i guess i'll find out how well they work!

Here in Perth, Big W has stopped stocking Coopers PET bottles, and now only stock some no name brand of PETs. The lids are identicle to the ones that Alex has in his photo, including the absence of the diaphragm. I have used two dozen of these bottles, and the caps have a considerable bulge once carbonated, big enough to make my identification stickers on the lids come off. I have also had a loss of pressure in one of the bottles.

The bottles are horrendous as well, so I hope these don't start popping up in the coopers PETs.

I received a new box of pets from coopers online a week or so back, And after reading this post had a look at the caps and yes they are different inside, I would like to know how many times coopers say they can be reused? Maybe if PB2 reads this post he would be kind enough to give us some info on the new caps?

I never re-use mine. It's wasteful, but ... well, I can't be bothered storing and cleaning them I suppose. Also I like to get white ones which I can write on with the brew number (enjoying an XXIX right now) so ... excuses.

From what I've heard though, a lot of people who re-use them discard the blue wobbly thing anyway because it's a good spot for infecting nasties to hide. Given this, I don't think it's a problem that they're missing in the beginning.

I've have a number of PET bottles, mostly "copper tun" and a few coopers ones purchased over the last 4-5 months and none of them have ever had the blue silicone? seal inside them. They are the white ones.

After two uses, all the caps seem to be a little stretched/bulging but I have only had one bottle that didnt seal properly. The bottles themselves seem ok, but I feel they have a limited life due to my hot water rinsing and are probably false economy long term.

I think I much prefer glass anyway and think I will phase out my PET bottles altogether.

Having said that, good glass 750ml bottles have also been hard to find (North West Sydney) I recently was forced to buy a bunch of 500 ml glass bottles which I dont really like despite them being quality bottles, it's their size I dont like.

Although, I found the easiest bottling day was always when I had 1 case of 750 mls glass and 1 case of 750 mls PETs, because it adds upto 12 Glass+15 PEts = 27 bottles, just about right for a 21-23 litre batch.

If these new ones are black, like the King said, you can't write on them which is definatley an issue for me now.

Cheers

cool, thanks for the help everyone.

Im sure these caps will be ok. Just remembered that coke bottles have all changed to a similar cap without the plastic diaphragm as well. Might ditch these caps after their first use anyway and do a big buy of the old style caps from BigW next time im there.

My APA (saaz and cascade additions) has been in the bottles for about 2 days now, and starting to gain abit of pressure, so far so good!

As far as using glass goes, for my more 'premium' brews and longer aging beers i use 740ml king brown bottles, really nice thick glass long necks and also i have about 30 of the little creatures pint bottles which are also very nice bottles to re-use both with crown seals.

Thanks

Alex

A year or so ago, we trialled the new type of cap because this is the way the industry was heading (we are just a drop in the "soft-drink company ocean").

It came up trumps: holds a seal, can be re-used and easily sanitised. So, it was just a matter of running out the stocks of old caps.

Yes the new caps do seem to be more flimsy around the tamper evident collar area but they are sturdy where it counts.

Many brewers had concerns about liquid getting in behind the wadding of the old style caps - problem solvered!wink

A year or so ago' date=' we trialled the new type of cap because this is the way the industry was heading (we are just a drop in the "soft-drink company ocean").

It came up trumps: holds a seal, can be re-used and easily sanitised. So, it was just a matter of running out the stocks of old caps.

Yes the new caps do seem to be more flimsy around the tamper evident collar area but they are sturdy where it counts.

Many brewers had concerns about liquid getting in behind the wadding of the old style caps - problem solvered![img']wink[/img]

Great answer, I knew you guys wouldn't skimp on us :-)

The truth is, I too was a little worried about water getting behind the seal in the old caps, but have never had any infection issues because of it.

How many times do you recommend re-using the new caps? Not being a tight arse, it's just handy that they're reusable considering they only come in bags of 30 or whatever and I don't always have spare caps on hand.

Cheers

A year or so ago' date=' we trialled the new type of cap because this is the way the industry was heading (we are just a drop in the "soft-drink company ocean").

Many brewers had concerns about liquid getting in behind the wadding of the old style caps - problem solvered![img']wink[/img]

Great answer, I knew you guys wouldn't skimp on us :-)

The truth is, I too was a little worried about water getting behind the seal in the old caps, but have never had any infection issues because of it.

How many times do you recommend re-using the new caps? Not being a tight arse, it's just handy that they're reusable considering they only come in bags of 30 or whatever and I don't always have spare caps on hand.

Cheers

Asking a question like that is like asking how long is a piece of string.

I have used my current collection of caps about twenty times and will continue using them until they fail to seal the bottle securely.

Archived