Coopers Community

Now with added girth.

Jay

Is it just me or is anyone else turning into a fat b'stard since brewing?

I've put on 5 kilos in a year.

My wife's absolutely over the moon about it.

Anyway gotta dash, got a brew to test. Chuckle.

Yes, I have put on at least 3kg's in a matter of months.

SWMBO just bought one of those "Nutri-Bullet" food mulcher thingos so Im gonna try eating some healthy foods using it.

For now, It's back to Lowes for a few 3X Shirts tongue

• 2 months later...

I put on some extra weight when I started home brewing, but then again I also started drinking more then.

Now I try to keep a balance so I'm not running out of beer, not getting too drunk, and not annoying SWMBO.

I've tried to be a bit more moderate in how much I drink, and generally have more AFD's than drinking days.

I also do a pretty good cardio workout at home three days per week, (4 sets of: 50 squats, 30 pushups 50 bicep curls, and 3 mins on an exercise bike at about 18 - 20kph) as well as taking my greyhound for a walk twice a day, sometimes it's quite a long walk, and I've noticed that since Harry the greyhound joined us I lost 8kg.

So my advice is (not that I'm a doctor, but this is what's worked for me), eat healthy, watch your portions, get enough exercise, don't drink too much or too often, and you should be fine.

That said, a little indulgence from time to time keeps you from going nuts.

If the exercise is too hard to get motivated for, then get a dog, at least that way you have someone else to walk with you; and you get over the gag factor of picking up crap after a couple of months.

My other hobby is cycling, and I'm the kind of cyclist that calls anything below 100kms a "medium" ride, so luckily that cancels it out.

Having said that, I've actually only recently begun cycling big distances but I've always ridden 6-7kms to and from work and that's kept me in check for years and years.

It's funny this thread should come up now. I've lost about 6 kilos in the past year and the only thing that has changed is switching over to home brew instead of megaswill.

I tried to tell my wife it was because of the homebrew. She thinks I'm an idiot HAHA.

i have always been fractionally overweight since leaving school, stopped swimming and started drinking beer.

Funny, i have been brewing for 12months now, and consume alot more beer (probably 6-8 750ml bottles a week) and have actually lost about 5kg without even trying!

I have stopped drinking spirits with coke though - thats probably where the improvement has come from!

Alex

Seriously guys - ride your bike to work. It's the best part of my day - gets you up and going in the mornings and helps you switch your mind off at the end of the day.

If any of you are in Adelaide I've got an open offer to anyone that wants to try it out that I'll come along with you if you are a bit uncertain and would like someone experienced to ride with.

Now, hit me with your excuses.

Now' date=' hit me with your excuses.[/quote']

1. It's 13.5km to work - the last 2kms are dirt track which my car (non 4wd) can struggle with.

2. Some rather big hills.

3. Work clothing doesn't really compliment bike riding. I don't see too many Tour de France riders in steel capped boots.

4. Distinct lack of enthusiasm for riding these days.

Having said all that I used to ride to work in Adelaide (Payneham to the city 7km each way ) when I worked in town in a previous life.

The disturbing part is I was listening to talkback radio at work today when they were talking about the rise in heart failure in Australia these days. Apparently I have 5 out of 5 symptoms they mentioned. crying

Might be about time to get the pushy out of the shed again.

1. 13.5km from where to where exactly?

2. Hills shmills - they won't seem as big after a while. In fact, I commuted from Stirling to Adelaide on my bike for a two-week house-sitting stint earlier this year.

3. Why not start by riding Tuesdays and Thursdays and bring the extra clothes and things you'll need on the days you drive and leave them at work?

4. Try it - you might find that you enjoy it.

Philbo, you are blessed or cursed (depending on one's viewpoint) with a love of high gravity beers (stouts etc.)

Buddha once said when speaking of outcomes from beer drinking habits, "One's body shape is a reflection of one's appetite for certain bodied beers".

...well actually he didn't say that, but it sounds like something he might have said had he been asked about drinking beer! tongue

Try cutting back on the stouts & high gravity IPA's etc. & maybe add a few more lighter beers into the repertoire Philbo! wink

Beerlust's Theory of Beer Gut Relativity:

Drinking Constant High FG (Final Gravity) Beer - Regular Exercise = Expected FG (Fat Guts) wink

biggrin

Cheers,

Anthony.

Excuses:

I don't live in Adelaide so we actually have traffic' date=' lots of traffic.

Sydney drivers are complete psychos with no regard for cyclists.[/quote']

If there's that much traffic then riding will get you where you're going much faster and more reliably. There's plenty of options that don't include the main roads around Sydney too.

Australia in general has a real problem with attitudes towards cycling. There's a massive Us vs. Them mentality on both sides. Being on my bike is still the only thing I've been abused for just for doing it, and it continue to happens regularly - even just minding my own business in a bike lane.

Try cutting back on the stouts & high gravity IPA's etc. & maybe add a few more lighter beers into the repertoire Philbo!

You're correct that I do love Belgians and Stouts, but they don't make up a very large portion of what I brew. I'd say I've brewed 2 stouts in the last 12 months, 1 IPA, 1 Old Ale, and 1 high gravity Belgian. The rest have all been Ordinary Bitter (~1.040) or APA/Beligan Pale Ale (~1.047).

If I cut back to ALL low gravity beers it would make an almost unnoticeable difference to my weight. The sheer volume I put away per week is the problem. Along with schnitzels, cheese, and salami. I get regular exercise but it doesn't do much if your caloric intake is as high as mine.

Archived