Coopers Community

Recipe of the Month

wizbang04

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It may have been put up temporarily to check how it looked on the site??

Dunno...

I don't care what it looks like on the site' date=' I only care what it feels like "IN MY BELLY"!!

[img']devil[/img]

Guzz

Nice! I am definitely going to make this one after my Saison is bottled. I can even purchase all the ingredients from my LHBS for a change.

It's almost like a breakfast beer - honey & wheat biggrin

I might change the honey to Ironbark. Blue Gum brings back ill memories from childhood - I spent a fair bit of time in hospital and the nurses would crush up Panadols and mix them with Blue Gum honey to make them 'go down easier'. I haven't been able to stomach the stuff since haha.

Cheers + beers,

Mark

nice!

I actually just made one similar to this, around the time the recipe was released.

1x Thomas Coopers wheat can

1x Coopers unhopped wheat extract can

25g sazz hops boiled for 10 mins with some of the malts

Filled to 23L

day 4 or 5 when sg was about 1015 I simmered 250g Tasmanian leatherwood honey with 100ml water for 20 mins and added to wort, in theory to add honey flavour whilst yeast was slowing down.

my og was 1050 and fg was 1008

just bottled on 13th October, looking forward to trying in two weeks time!

What kind if effects does honey have on a beer? Is it purely there to make it taste sweeter? Or does it effect other things as well' date=' like head retention, mouthfeel, etc?[/quote']

Hey mate, from what I understand the honey is mainly there for flavour but can also have and impact on the colour of the beer slightly - depending on what type of honey you use. It is also 100% fermentable so 300g of honey will add about 0.4% alcohol to a 23 litre brew.

I tried some honey wheat beers over the weekend just to make sure I could drink two cartons of it. The first one was good old 'Beez Neez' - bleargh, dry and bland, not much honey to my taste.

The second was Barossa Valley Brewing 'Bee Sting' which uses Orange Blossom Honey and is late hopped with Styrian Goldings, this was a seriously good drop and I think I'll use both these ingredients when I brew the Beekeeper.

Cheers & beers,

Mark

The second was Barossa Valley Brewing 'Bee Sting' which uses Orange Blossom Honey and is late hopped with Styrian Goldings' date=' this was a seriously good drop and I think I'll use both these ingredients when I brew the Beekeeper.

Cheers & beers,

Mark[/quote']

Yeah, Pretty sure I'm going to add some hops my Beekeeper which I put down today.

Seeing as Im going to the LHBS this week, Styrian Goldings it is!

Im thinking 20-30 gms, dry, day 7

Cheers

Guzz

Thanks Mark.

I went out and bought all of the ingredients for the Beekeeper the other day, and coincidently I bought Orange Blossom honey, just because I thought like it sounded like an interesting addition. Glad to hear that it's been used successfully before.

I only bought 500g of light dry malt though, as I didn't want the ABV to be overly high on this one. Does anyone know if only using 500g would effect the brew badly at all, apart from dropping the ABV?

Ps. My limited understanding of home brewing has me believe that the more LDM I have in a brew, the higher the ABV will be... Please feel free to correct me if im wrong on that one.

I only bought 500g of light dry malt though' date=' as I didn't want the ABV to be overly high on this one. Does anyone know if only using 500g would effect the brew badly at all, apart from dropping the ABV?

Ps. My limited understanding of home brewing has me believe that the more LDM I have in a brew, the higher the ABV will be... Please feel free to correct me if im wrong on that one.[/quote']

It should be fine. LDM does increase the ABV but it isn't fully fermentable so it also results in a higher FG.

So you will make a beer that has a lower ABV with slightly less body.

Hi All,

I have a brew of the beekeeper fermenting now, I was wondering if I should crash chill this one before bottling? I read in the Hefeweizen recipe, that style of beer is meant to have yeast in suspension, so am thinking that crash chilling might take this away, and possibly change the flavour?

Any thoughts? Is anyone else planing to crash chill this one?

Cheers - Brad

Good point K.R.

I realise that chilling it will make a clearer beer, but I'm wondering how much effect it will have on the flavour. It's finished fermenting and tastes good from the fermenter, but it's extremely cloudy, so I'm leaning towards chilling.

Perhaps I'll do a trial and bottle a stubby before chilling and compare it to the beer which I do chill.

Cheers - Brad

Hey Brad

I did a Hoegaarden clone and kegged it. The first 3 or 4 glasses were spot on tasting like the real thing. Then like a switch was turned it changed, it was sweat and the Belgium taste was completely gone. I suppose that they do keg wheat beers, but if I ever do another I reckon that I will bottle. I didn't cold crash but I reckon that kegging has the same effect, my kegged beers always pour very clear.

Cheers

Scottie

Thanks Scottie,

I haven't chilled it yet, waiting to take another SG reading tomorrow to ensure fermentation is complete, so considering your post maybe I won't. It is REALLY cloudy though. However taste is the number one priority, more than the look. Now that I think about it, I do recall reading somewhere that when Hoegaarden is poured, the yeast in the bottom should be stirred up and poured into the glass. Hmmm Coopers Pale drikers know this well! So perhaps a lot of the goodness is in the cloud and should be left there. It will settle in the bottle anyway, leaving a choice as to decant it into the glass or not.

Right, so that's settled. No crash chilling on the wheat beer!

Cheers - Brad

I was listening to a Basic Brewing Radio podcast the other day where Stan Hieronymus was being interviewed on his 'Brewing with Wheat' book. He said breweries sometimes ship their kegs of weizen upside down to the pub, where they are up-ended before being served. Stan said this is how they keep their kegged wheat beers cloudy. They probably get through the kegs before they settle out clear though.

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy,

New member and new brewer here...

Having done a couple of basic brews i was hoping to try out one of the recipes of the month.

Beekeeper was sold out before i jumped on board, and although i do plan on giving this one a crack still at some point I am wondering when the November recipe of the month could be expected?

What time of the month roughly do they usually appear?

Cheers

Alex

Howdy' date='

New member and new brewer here...

Having done a couple of basic brews i was hoping to try out one of the recipes of the month.

Beekeeper was sold out before i jumped on board, and although i do plan on giving this one a crack still at some point I am wondering when the November recipe of the month could be expected?

What time of the month roughly do they usually appear?

Cheers

Alex[/quote']

G'day station49, welcome to the forum, if you look back over the posts in this topic it will become clear it's all up to the ducks. wink

Cheers.

G'day station49' date=' welcome to the forum, if you look back over the posts in this topic it will become clear it's all up to the ducks. [img']wink[/img]

Cheers.

Ahhh yes, i did read about those ducks... Hopefully they sort themselves out soon.

Alex

Archived