Ordered 2 of them! Going to be my first "cold steep"

Too bad Magnaman didn't accept my bet. biggrin

Was gonna send him one my "Choc Sparkling Crystal Ales" love

Guzz

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking again at the ROTM ... Robo Choc

I have a concern with the method in the recipe.

It says after cold steeping the grain..."bring to the boil then remove from the heat"....

I would have thought that it should be boiled for some time to get rid of any nasties in the grain.

Like 10-15 minute minimum, which I will do anyways, just thought I would point it out.

Looks like a great recipe!

Guzz

Too bad Magnaman didn't accept my bet. biggrin

Guzz

G'day Guzz' date=' just not a betting man, probably would have been a cocky if I was!

The would be prize does sound very nice though. [img']wink[/img]

Cheers.

Robo Choc - ROTM ingredients look nice but the recipe does look a little bit weird.

250 g white sugar? Think i'll whack that in the pantry for the wife to bake a cake and use some spare dextrose instead.

Steap the grains in cold water for 24 hours? I've never done it like that. Most of time I've used grains I steap in water at 70 degrees for an hour. Anyone else ever steaped grains like this?

Hi Monkey Magick

It does seem a bit strange soaking in the fridge overnight, but with specialty malts it works well. The starches have already been converted and all you're trying to do is extract the sugars and dissolve them in the liquor. Yet, if you prefer to steep at 67C or 70C that will do the job as well - I'm sure the experts will correct me on this one. I've done it both ways and they seem to give very similar results.

However, as per normal, I'm a bit confused. I though this was Monkey Magic, and I wasn't aware a kinky roasted chicken was in the same league crying.

Cheers

Phil

I just picked the first funny beer image i found on Google images :-)

Off topic I know, but that's beer-bum-chicken! Have you guys every made it? It's delicious. It is essentially a can of beer, opened, stuck inside a whole chicken and then cooked on a BBQ or similar...its so moist and the flavour is awesome!

Robo Choc - ROTM ingredients look nice but the recipe does look a little bit weird.

250 g white sugar? Think i'll whack that in the pantry for the wife to bake a cake and use some spare dextrose instead.

Many English brewers/breweries have been adding white/brown sugar to their beers for a long time.

250g white sugar in that recipe will be fine. I would say that if you brewed a dextrose and white sugar brews side by side that you wouldn't tell the difference.

All I can say about this recipe is go for it a great introduction to Black Beers.

PB2 has been sitting on this recipe for months, and I reckon could post some excellent feedback on the brew.

Cheers

Scottie

I have a concern with the method in the recipe.

It says after cold steeping the grain..."bring to the boil then remove from the heat"....

I would have thought that it should be boiled for some time to get rid of any nasties in the grain.

Hi guys,

I'm a bit curious about this too. Any of you know why only a bring to the boil is adviced and not a longer boil?

As this recipe does not require any hop additions and the grains were not mashed, the steeping only needs to be pasteurised. So, simply bringing to the boil is good enough. You can boil for longer if you like smile

As this recipe does not require any hop additions and the grains were not mashed' date=' the steeping only needs to be pasteurised. So, simply bringing to the boil is good enough. You can boil for longer if you like [img']smile[/img]

Hey PB2 (and Magnaman)

Thanks Paul. As Magnaman mentioned in the Steeping Grains thread, I really appreciate the info. I must be getting too big for my pots because I was at a loss to answer the question (I assumed it had to be a minimum 10 minute boil to do the deed properly).

Thanks heavens there are plenty of sensible people here to answer (what may seem to some to be trivial) questions.

Cheers

Phil

As this recipe does not require any hop additions and the grains were not mashed' date=' the steeping only needs to be pasteurised. So, simply bringing to the boil is good enough. You can boil for longer if you like [img']smile[/img]

Thanks PB2. Now I learnt something new today too happy

• 3 weeks later...

There is a second recipe of the month up now. I just bought one of each, very exciting day.

The old dog is going down a treat, and I have just bottled the golden ale ROTM. I'm going to have alot of beer.

IF not brewing after receiving, should the yeast and hops be taken out of the box and stored in the fridge until use?

Archived