Coopers Community

Recipe of the Month

wizbang04

A lot of the recipes in the recipe section were formerly Recipe of the Month

Is there a particular style you're interested in? Or perhaps you don't mind but want to try grains/hops?

Hi Mate' date='

I have had a look through the previous recipes of the month and a few have caught my eye [beekeeper, golden ale and hop slam IPA to start the list...']

I was just thinking buying the lot as a package ready to brew may have been an 'easy' way of getting into a slightly more complex brew.

Not nailed down to any particular style, but thought trying something involving additional grains/hops would be interesting.

Alex

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A lot of the recipes in the recipe section were formerly Recipe of the Month

Is there a particular style you're interested in? Or perhaps you don't mind but want to try grains/hops?

Hi Mate' date='

I have had a look through the previous recipes of the month and a few have caught my eye [beekeeper, golden ale and hop slam IPA to start the list...']

I was just thinking buying the lot as a package ready to brew may have been an 'easy' way of getting into a slightly more complex brew.

Not nailed down to any particular style, but thought trying something involving additional grains/hops would be interesting.

Alex

Yeah, buying the ROTM packs can be a great way to get started when trying to make brews that are a little more complex. It takes you out of your comfort zone a little bit, and may help you find a style of beer that you love that you've never tried before.

I found that once I had a couple of ROTM packs under my belt, it gave me a bit more confidence to start sourcing my own ingredients, and to make my own recipes (or variations on the existing recipes).

Hi Guys

Earlier this week I made up the Golden Ale ROTM (which has been waiting patiently for me for about 3 months). After two days however the yeast has not started to work, it was the yeast supplied with the recipe pack, NOT the kit yeast, and it has a bbf date of Feb 2015.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem? I am considering using the kit yeast to hopefully get it going.

Any advice welcome.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem? .

What was the yeast? Was it stored in the fridge? What temperature is the brew at? How do you know it is not working?

Hi Ben

The yeast was BRY-97 yeast (as supplied in the recipe). It wasn't stored in the fridge but it was in a cool store room, unheated, and the weather was cold (Melbourne). The brew was at 21 C when the yeast was pitched. After 2 days of no activity on the airlock I removed the lid to check the brew ~ flat with no activity at all.

Hey everyone' date=' speaking of yeast I was looking at the Hop Slam IPA UK recipe last night it mentions using a sachet of Nottingham + the kit yeast. Can anyone explain why that would be?

Cheers + beers,

Mark[/quote']

It has been mentioned and answered in a previous thread; but I can't remember where and the resolution crying

Anyway, one packet of Notto will be sufficient.

Well I'll be ducked!

Hope it's good, ordered 2.

For 5 reasons:

1- Never done a Canadian Blonde.

2- Well, there was this nice Canadian girl I met once many years ago, but she was brunette love

3- Never used either of those yeasts. T-58 + T-53

4 -Too busy/lazy to concoct a new recipe and go shopping at the LHBS.

5- 21 Degrees is very easy to maintain for me right now, damn I need a brew fridge soon!

Price is up a fair whack, last time paid $42 ish for the ROTM I think....

Cheers

Guzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Hi all,

spent quite some time trying to find last month ROTM, which was the Vintage Ale.

Only to find the page wouldn't load through my works server, go figure!

My question, as I very rarely post, is can you still buy the recipe's ingredients as a complete pack, or do you need to buy all the individual ingredients.

TIA

Big T

Hi all' date='

spent quite some time trying to find last month ROTM, which was the Vintage Ale.

Only to find the page wouldn't load through my works server, go figure!

My question, as I very rarely post, is can you still buy the recipe's ingredients as a complete pack, or do you need to buy all the individual ingredients.

TIA

Big T[/quote']

Hey Big T, welcome to the forum.

Once the ROTM packs sell out you can only buy the coopers tins & malt from the online store. You'll have to source the hops, grain & spec yeast from another retailer as Cooper's don't stock these for individual sale.

Cheers + beers,

Mark

thanks ICzed

Seems odd though, hardly worth the effort, to by online, needs $50 to get free shipping, but then need to go to your local home brew shop to get the rest.

I'm mostly a can and kit man as the choice is vast and have a real estate issue for my brewing stuff at home. Have tried pre made wort, again plenty of good beer and a couple of duds, but wanted to try something different.

Recently bought a NZ can ( can't remember the name but looks the goods)

It would seem that slowly getting a collection of different hops via my local store and go from there.

Appreciate the response.

cheers

G'day all' date='

Just went to the bottlo and grabbed a couple of Leffe, Chimay and duvels never tried anything like the ROTM and these were the closest thing I could find.

I guess we'll see if I'm a fan this arvo if so I will grab a pack.

Cheers

[/quote']

They only one (to my knowledge) you can buy in Australia which comes close to the recipe of the month is the La Trappe blond.

Which by the way is delicious

Which leffe and Chimay did you buy?

Cheers,

Tonny

I had Leffe Blonde in mind when developing the Abbey Blonde ROTM. Had bedded this recipe down quite some time ago - well before we knew of a possible new strain of Belgian Ale yeast...

The tasting panel was very happy with the finished beer biggrin

Have been blending different yeast strains, in an attempt to achieve certain outcomes, since starting with Coopers back in 2002 - sheesh, that long ago pinched

Anyway, no real science behind it - just "seat of my pants" stuff and trial and error whistling

I should (must) give Abbaye Belgian Ale Yeast a run - I'm a kick behind the play on this as I only got samples about a week or so ago. sleeping

I should (must) give Abbaye Belgian Ale Yeast a run - I'm a kick behind the play on this as I only got samples about a week or so ago. sleeping

I got mine about then too, but only having three fvs and temp control for two there is a lack of space.

Archived