Coopers Community

Recipe of the Month

wizbang04

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Shibby,

To keep the intended flavour but reduce the alcohol content you can just leave out the dextrose all together. Keep the brew at 21 lt and you’ll get about 5.6% ABV instead of 6.7 %. Dextrose is simple sugar and doesn’t impart any actual flavour to the beer.

Cheers + beers,

Mark

Is there a way to reduce the higher alcohol content of the extra strong vintage ale but keep the flavour.

Would adding more water be best or brewing without the dextrose as it uses 2 cans.?

+1 to what ICzed recommended by dropping out the dextrose to reduce the final ABV%.

You can also increase the volume you ferment this brew to. Increasing it from 21 litres to say 23 litres will further reduce the ABV%.

Last year I brewed a version of this recipe without the dextrose & upped the ferment volume to 23 litres that produced a beer around 5.3% ABV that was absolutely delicious' date=' & just like the original. Much more session-able. I drank the last longneck a few weeks ago. [img']pouty[/img]

A SUPER versatile, SUPER flavoured kit based homebrew recipe I simply can't speak highly enough of. cool

Cheers,

Anthony.

Hey guys another few newbie questions. I brewed the HOP SLAM IPA (UK) last night and noticed a few differences compared to normal. Any advice welcomed, and Im sure its normal.

1) When adding water to make the wort 21L, it created a large amount of foam on top. I havnt noticed this on my other brews, maybe 15-20cm.

2) The recipe says to use both the Nottingham yeast and the kit yeast. Any reasons for this. I really like the Nottingham yeast and was going to leave the kit yeast out but changed my mind and thought best stick tot he recipe.

3) Dry hopping at the beginning instead of after the yeast has settled 3-4 days is unusual. Will this changes flavours or aromas? I have always added hops in later. I was thinking of adding the 25 to start and the other 25 after 3-4 days.

4) I bought a new muslin bag to fit 50gr of hops in. I sanitised this, and put throw away rubber gloves on, soaked in sanitiser in a bowl, to then touch the muslin bag, quick rinse n add hops to drop into fermenter. Is this a normal process or can you just wash your hands, dip in sanitiser?

1) Don't know why but it'll be fine

2) Don't know either but I would have just used the Notto.

3) PB2 will state that it is easier just to throw everything in at the start, less risk of problems and that on a HB level minimal aroma is lost. I disagree with this sentiment but he's the one that knows stuff. I would dry hop after fermentation has finished, but that is me.

4) I weigh the hops in a bowl from the cupboard and throw them in commando. I don't sanitise the bowl. I have even split some and picked them up with my unsanitary hands and placed them in the bowl without issue.

Thanks for the advice, its always good to hear what other people do.

Since my second brew I have been using the ROTM or making my own Pale ale/IPAs using different yeasts, malt and no sugar with added hops. Im really enjoying the brews and the quality is great. Maybe im used to the flavours but I dont associate it as homebrew taste. ( if this doesnt make sense, I mean the general perception of some people and home brew, which I found with the first brew it came with, which was basically the kit can and sugar. It tasted ok, it was cheap, but not anything similar you would get at the shop or microbrewery.)

Anyway one weird experience with the ROTM and one that I havnt seen anyone mention in a while. It was the Marylyns Secret a while ago. It was my third brew, and after combining the boiled hops, water, malt and the 2 cans as per recipe ( the smell was strong and not pleasant) I tasted it and thought it was really bad. Anyway as at this stage nothing could have gone wrong infection wise as its new. I pitched the yeas and after 2 weeks bottled everything into Pets. I still couldnt handle the smell or taste after fermenting, but guessed 4-6 weeks in the pets would help.

So after trying one each week i gagged and had to tip them away. At 6 weeks all my pets exploded and the plastic cracked at the bottom. These PETS were brand new 1st use and sanitised. No idea what happened, so this making me extra cautious with my other brews.

As it tasted and smelt bad when making the wort im wondering if anyone has every had this, maybe a damaged can and it went off?

• 4 weeks later...

My prayers have been answered with the new ROTM. In June (in the "Friday nite 6 pack" thread), I wrote:

I can now see why you and PuBes2 were raving about the Artisans Reserve. Just a touch more bitterness than I'd expect with a pilsner. And quite a bit of hop flavouring as well. I get just a hint of maltiness, and certainly not over the top.

Here's where I'm putting my family jewels on the line. I can certainly tell there's Hallertau hops there, but my gut taste says there's another type of hop in there as well that's not listed on the label. I can't work out what it is, and I'm certain PB2 wouldn't want to divulge what it may be if there is another one, so I won't take that any further. Irrespective, lovely front up taste, then tempering on the palate, and then a final lingering taste boost.

And the answer is.... hersbrucker.

Thanks, PB2! and cheers.

Since it is a lager it would have been better being released during winter.

Perhaps it is aimed at Tasmanians innocent

No Hairy' date=' it's for those with temp control. [img']rolleyes[/img]

Recipe looks interesting ROTM, what does it mean 1 X 25g Hallertau Tradition hop pellets and 1 x 25g Hallertau Hersbrucker hop pellets? Please explain. wink

Cheers.

G'day Magda Szebow.. (no, not that doesn't look right). Oh yeah, g'day Magnaman

Hallertau and Hersbrucker (as they are now commonly known) are different hops. I'm not sure if they have a similar origin or not, but now they have a distinct difference in flavour and aroma; and are usually used in German-style pilsners/lager (at least that's my limited understanding).

Cheers, Phyllis

Since it is a lager it would have been better being released during winter.

Perhaps it is aimed at Tasmanians innocent

No Hairy' date=' it's for those with temp control. [img']rolleyes[/img]

I always thought that the ROTMs were introduced to encourage the huge number of K&K brewers out there to expand their brewing recipes a little and introduce some other techniques eg. hops and grains. It makes it easy to get the ingredients and the simple brewing steps reduce the intimidation factor.

This is just a wild guess but I would think that the majority of homebrewers wouldn't use temp control.

Or perhaps those without temp control don't buy the ROTM.

Or I could be talking crap (most likely).

I always thought that the ROTMs were introduced to encourage the huge number of K&K brewers out there to expand their brewing recipes a little and introduce some other techniques

Hairy I hate to be the one to brake it to you but that may not be the reason at all. crying

Coopers are a commercial enterprise operating in a capitalist and so called democratic society. pinched Call me cynical but I see the world as it is not how I want it to be. alien

Oh antiphile' date=' my point was about the 2nd 25g of hops @ 5 minutes mentioned in the recipe, is it some special hybrid of the two different hops or some mix 12.5g of Hallertau and 12.5g Hersbrucker or some other ratio?? [img']rolleyes[/img]

Cheers.

Just a suggestion but…. I would love it if each ROTM was recorded on the DIY Recipe page so I could go back and look at what I have and have not brewed yet, and could then try my hand at one of the ones I missed, even if I do have to buy the ingredients separately.

Just a suggestion but…. I would love it if each ROTM was recorded on the DIY Recipe page so I could go back and look at what I have and have not brewed yet' date=' and could then try my hand at one of the ones I missed, even if I do have to buy the ingredients separately.[/quote']

They are saved in the recipe database but not under the ROTM heading.

Once a new ROTM is released, the old recipe is moved to the relevant section i.e. Ale, Lager etc.

I always thought that the ROTMs were introduced to encourage the huge number of K&K brewers out there to expand their brewing recipes a little and introduce some other techniques eg. hops and grains. It makes it easy to get the ingredients and the simple brewing steps reduce the intimidation factor.

Whether this was the actual intent, I can't say, but it's certainly had that effect for me. With the Ol Brown Dog as my stepping stone, I've since done a American Brown Ale clone (Growler), and now won't be going back to K&K's; the benefits hops and grains bring to the brew are simply awesome.

G'day Brewers, well I did a bit of research on the hop varieties revealed in the Artisan Reserve. unsure

"Quote from Coopers Artisan Reserve recipe

After developing Celebration ale, our beloved brewers went on to produce Artisan Reserve and add a new beer to the Thomas Coopers Selection. Artisan Reserve is an unpasteurised lager brewed from quality ingredients to produce an appealing fresh blend of flavours and aromas. It sits in the style of a German Pilsner (BJCP style guidelines 2A), albeit a little higher in alcohol content. Our brewers, known for holding their cards close to their chest, are keeping two of the hop varieties secret. But they have revealed the use of German noble hops, Hallertau Tradition and Hallertau Hersbrucker, which contribute citrusy and flowery characters. This recipe comes out with a little more colour than the real thing but the absence of pasteurisation gives DIY Brewers a great chance of capturing the essence of Artisan Reserve!"

Hallertau Tradition, this gives some idea of the history.

If you want to know more! Hops from Germany this is for those that want to know, 130 page PDF, some may find it interesting. wink

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

I've done the honey thing, and I'm over it, the beer didn't taste too bad, but invariably gave me a headache, even if I only had one or two.

That said, I was considering a wheat beer for my next batch, so may go with that, but not necessarily the ROTM.

I've got my ESVA bottled and carbing up nicely, and Artisan Reserve is looking good in the FV, but I think 2 consecutive ROTM batches is enough, time consuming and expensive, and although I'm sure it's worth it, it's back to basics for the next few batches, to save some cash, and to have some brews to drink whilst my better quality brews condition.

Well it only took 5 months but i finally brewed my golden ale (Coopers Kit). Well about 4 weeks back and finally am able to crack one open, exactly what i was going for. Taste wise. love the smell of Amarillo hops

I was bit worried that i couldn't keep the the temps down around 18°c, was around 22-24 and also the BRY-97 yeast smelling a bit cheesy. but very pleased. Glass pop top bottles are the way to go.

Archived