Coopers Community

Recipe of the Month

wizbang04

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are reading this then this post has not been deleted.

I'm going to take a stab at the Saint's - I have the ingredients but not the method (when to add the Progress & First Gold hops. (they could have changed the name ever so slightly and included some green food colouring).

Then I will share it with my ex-wife and her wife.

STEP 2: Brew

Place the FV in a location out of direct sunlight and try to ferment at 15C.

I was waiting to try a rotm, but it would be another 3 months before I could get it this cold.

The Saints Golden Ale looked better for this time of year.

Hopefully next month.

Interesting observation. If a post has been deleted you can tell because the time stamp on the thread doesn't match the time stamp on the last post. Eg. I posted at 7.33pm but that was deleted so Cerveja's 7:12pm post then says edited at 7.33pm. But it wasn't, it's just that my post was deleted

Saint’s Golden Ale

(Makes 22 Litres)

Ingredients:

• 1 x 1.7kg Canadian Blonde

• 2 x 500g Light Dry Malt

• 1 x 25g Progress Hop Pellets

• 1 x 25g First Gold Hop Pellets

• 1 x 11g Lallemand London ESB Dry Yeast

• 1 x 250g Coopers Carbonation Drops

Method:

• In a good size pot (around 8 litres) bring about 500g of Light Dry Malt to the boil with 3 litres of water.

• Add the Progress Hop Pellets and boil for 10mins.

• Remove from the heat then add the First Gold Hop Pellets, fit the lid and steep for 30mins.

• Cool the liquid by placing the pot in a bath of cold water for about 15mins then strain into a Fermenting Vessel (FV).

• Add the Canadian Blonde and remaining pack of Light Dry Malt to the FV then stir to dissolve (don’t worry if undissolved lumps remain).

• Fill with cool water to 19 litres, stir vigorously and check the brew temperature.

• Top up to 22 litres with warm or cold water (refrigerated if necessary) to get as close to 18C as possible.

• Sprinkle on both the London ESB yeast and the brew can yeast then fit the lid.

• Place the FV in a location out of direct sunlight and try to ferment at 18 to 20C.

• Fermentation should take 7 to 10 days.

• On day 10 check the specific gravity (SG).

• Check the SG again the following day and so on.

• The brew is ready once the SG has stabilised over a couple of days, expect about 1006 to 1010.

• Gently fill clean PET bottles to about 3cm from the top.

• Add 2 carbonation drops per bottle and secure the caps.

• Store the bottles upright in a location out of direct sunlight at or above 18C.

• After at least two weeks, check for sufficient carbonation by squeezing the PET bottles.

• Bottles kept unrefrigerated should improve with age.

• When ready to drink, chill the bottles upright.

• The chilled beer may be poured into clean glassware, leaving the sediment behind.

• Expect the alcohol content to be approximately 4.9% ABV.

Cheers!

Thanks Cooper's will buy this one' date=' I've never heard of these hops.

[/quote']

I couldn't find them in any near by HBS - found them on-line at craftbrewer.com.au

May be this will be ROTM of a less sensitive month.

Hi DavidB44.

Is it a coincidence that "First Borough Lager" is an anagram of "Shit' date=' A Blogger Furor"??[/quote']

Parts unknown, weight unknown, origins unknown, brewing level unknown. Very clever pick-up anagram on the new ROTM. Timing-wise it fits bloody well atm (TBQH)! LOL lol

I'm enjoying your posts. happy

On a more serious note, I'm currently mucking around in this hybrid Pale Ale/lager yeast fermented area of beer flavour myself, & given the lovely flavours of my first conquest into this area, I'd highly recommend the current recipe as something to try if you can maintain the lower lager required ferment temperature.

The Real Ale kit is a very versatile kit & for what this brew is aimed at, the recipe should produce a lovely beer once you've gone through the outlined processes. cool

On a side note, I admit I am also a little miffed by the associated price tag given "Free shipping" is included for this ROTM. Maybe the cost of tipping 200 cartons of verse inscribed commercial light cans that were pulled have to be absorbed & reimbursed internally somewhere/somehow/someway? tongueunsure

Cheers,

Lusty.

Interesting observation. If a post has been deleted you can tell because the time stamp on the thread doesn't match the time stamp on the last post. Eg. I posted at 7.33pm but that was deleted so Cerveja's 7:12pm post then says edited at 7.33pm. But it wasn't' date=' it's just that my post was deleted[/quote']

On the topic of observation, is that a middy of coopers pale ale floating above Nigel the Pug? Or just Freud messing with my mind again...

David, that is the all-time best spot ever! I didn't even notice!

If Nigel is anything like his owner, it is definitely a schooner. And unlikely to be a Coopers (unless that's the best they have on tap). More likely to be a hoppy American Pale, preferably local and super fresh!

On a side note' date=' I admit I am also a little miffed by the associated price tag given "Free shipping" is included for this ROTM. Maybe the cost of tipping 200 cartons of verse inscribed commercial light cans that were pulled have to be absorbed & reimbursed internally somewhere/somehow/someway? [img']tongue[/img] unsure

Cheers,

Lusty.[/size]

Yes, back on topic.

The prices are a little mysterious. The ROTM that cannot be named that was up for a while would have cost $1.30 less than this one yet had an International Series can and some more obscure hops - otherwise the same.

For 15C You'd want a brew fridge at this time of year in most parts of AU so I would expect this one is going to be a slow seller. Many of those with temperature control would know the value of these ingredients and get the goods from Dan's or their LHBS.

I've always thought a fresh home brew ale was better than a commercial one and vice versa with lagers. But I've not done a lager with a good temperature set up. I should try one sometime. And seriously, I would get huge cred with the ex-wife's new missus.

• 2 months later...

Ordered the Macho Macchiato Stout ... looks very interesting, although I'm wondering why the Irish Stout kit is the base rather than the Coopers OS Stout? I imagine the Irish Stout kit would have a decent percentage of flaked barley in it which I don't think a milk stout would usually have, but I could be way off on this.

I'm going to try serving it with one CO2 bulb and one N2O bulb using my bonus old-model Tap-a-Draft valve unit (long story short - Grain & Grape sent me the old model by mistake, then refunded me and told me to keep it).

I am also looking forward to the MMS being delivered.

I have only ever done 1 other rotm, and that was the Midnight Mosiac Amber Ale, and although firstly dissapointing, after a wee bit longer in the bottle, it ended up being as cracker!

Pity 1 or 3 weren't put aside!

Hopefully this stout will be up there!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived