Coopers Community

Recipe of the Month

wizbang04

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey All

Bought the Festive Funk IPA ROTM - never used a Saison yeast so should be interesting.

On thing I noticed in the recipe - it only uses half the 25gm Nelson and Amarillo hops. What does anyone else plan on doing with the leftovers? - keeping them ( not that 13gm of hops is really worth keeping) or are you just going to chuck them in the dry hop with the Enigma?

Ive always found the recipes to be a little light on the Hops for my taste so Im happy to use all the remaining hops but don't want to spoil the brew if it will. Does then beg the question as to why Coopers supply the hops in 25gm when the recipe only required 12-13gms....perhaps they don't have smaller amounts than 25gms.

Going to ferment at a higher temp as per Ben's comment

Thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...
With all the chatter about recreating this beer on the forum of late' date=' I think it's terrific that Coopers are listening. [img']happy[/img]

The new ROTM.

Roger Roger Ale.

I love this beer. love

Good stuff Coopers! cool

Cheers,

Lusty.

I bloody love Rogers and this is going to go down a treat. Great shout by Coopers to bring this out. Can't wait to suck down a cold one of these in the heat of the Kimberley.

Dingo.

Just ordered the Roger Roger ROTM and it makes 25 litres which is fine but thats getting beyond my lifting capacity - not getting any younger etc. So i was wondering what would happen if i made it up to only 23 litres - what would the effect be both on flavour and on ABV. Thanks

With all the chatter about recreating this beer on the forum of late' date=' I think it's terrific that Coopers are listening. [img']happy[/img]

The new ROTM.

Roger Roger Ale.

I love this beer. love

Good stuff Coopers! cool

Cheers,

Lusty.

Have you read the instructions for this recipe? An overnight cold steep of dark Munich? Flame out addition of Cascade with a one hour steep? Not your usual recipe.

@ Byrock, it will probably be better made to 23L. wink

Cheers,

Christina.

Hi Christina. smile

Have you read the instructions for this recipe? An overnight cold steep of dark Munich? Flame out addition of Cascade with a one hour steep? Not your usual recipe.

The overnight cold steeps seem to minimize tannin type astringency from the grains that often appears in hot steeping darker grains' date=' so I think I understand that. I admit I don't understand the benefit of the 1 hour hop steep, but would certainly be interested to know why it is advised.

@ Byrock, it will probably be better made to 23L. wink

I disagree.

The commercial beer this recipe is modelled on really became popular because of it's rich malt flavour, lovely hop notes, but most notably, it's unbelievably low 3.8% ABV. It shocked a lot of people (& still does) that a beer of this ABV% could taste this rich & flavoursome.

It's meant to be a midstrength beer recipe, so I'd be brewing it to the 25 litres suggested, & be thankful for the extra bottles it will fill of very yummy beer! cool

Cheers,

Lusty.

I’m with Lusty.

The attraction to me is the fact that it is a mid-strength full flavoured beer. If it was closer to the 5% ABV then I don’t think it would as popular as what it is. Not to say brewing it to 23L would make a bad beer mind you so if it’s what you have to do then go for it, although the extra 2L is enough to make me stick to the suggested recipe.

I'm going to try a variation on the recipe for the rogers, based on some playing around with ianh's spreadsheet.

Coopers pale ale 1.3kg

Amber LME 1.4kg

500g dark crystal cold steeped

Same boil and hopping schedule

According to the spreadsheet should give me ~ 17 IBU and 33 EBC and 3.8% bulk primed in the keg with a few bottles left over.

Leaves me about 1/2kg left over pale ale & amber malt extract to fridge for a bit and stick in something else...

G'day Byrock, I have similar issues with lifting my fv when brewing, anything beyond 15kg isn't much good for a back that has been stuffed for nearly 20 years.

I brew in the kitchen or laundry then move the fv to the garage. To solve the lifting issue I move the fv when it's filled to around 15-18 litres to its spot in the garage where I then top up the remaining litres using a couple of jugs.

Works for me.

Hi Farls.

G'day Byrock' date=' I have similar issues with lifting my fv when brewing, anything beyond 15kg isn't much good for a back that has been stuffed for nearly 20 years.

I brew in the kitchen or laundry then move the fv to the garage. To solve the lifting issue I move the fv when it's filled to around 15-18 litres to its spot in the garage where I then top up the remaining litres using a couple of jugs. [/quote']

I've noticed recent posts of yours speaking of this problem. I remember a few guys in the past on the forum that had similar issues transporting their FV's around their homes from where they brew them to where they ferment them etc.

I tried to find the old threads that spoke of this without success. pouty Anyways, the crux of those threads was that they built a suitable sized mobile platform to help them with this problem. Basically a box table on trolley wheels. They just lowered the FV onto the mobile table, then pushed it to where they needed, & then off-loaded it.

One bloke went as far as making a pneumatic height adjusting mechanism on the mobile table to almost eliminate his need for lifting at all during the shift. wink

Gotta admire that sort of dedication to the cause. biggrin

Food for thought at least.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Re: lifting. Lusty has some good suggestions. He is a thoughtful guy. smile

As a woman I find lifting 23L from floor to counter challenging, especially if I am fermenting in a glass carboy. What I learned from my MIL is to set a chair near the counter and first lift the fermenter onto the chair, using my legs, then set a second chair near it, stand on that, and lift again from the chair to the counter.

Another trick I often use is to make a recipe with 4L less water than called for (so to a higher gravity) and then top up with the remainder at bottling time; however, I bulk prime. If you use carbonation drops and bottle from your primary that trick wouldn't work so well.

I also bought a little carboy cart at my LHBS, to wheel a full carboy from one room to the next. It is only a few inches high. It is easy to lift the carboy from the ground onto the cart.

Cheers,

Christina.

Cheers lusty and Christina for the comments. Lots of different ways to get around the lifting, and a decent workshop trolley is an easy one. Even if you have a few stairs along the way to deal with it can still take most of the work out of it.

I like my jugs method as I have them chilled in the garage fridge, so the extra 5-8 litres also does the job of getting the wort to a good pitching temp.

And I'm also very glad the roger is on the recipe list, I haven't done I think with the grains so am looking forward to it.

• 2 weeks later...

G'day brewers! I hope your weekend is going great.

I cracked open a couple of the Festive Funk IPAs last night. They were pretty delicious and quite bitter at the same time. Is this something usual from Saison yeast strain? These were only bottled for 11 days so i think they might need a bit longer to ages.

Dingo.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived