Coopers Community

Me & BRY-97

Beerlust

I just wanted to wish a couple of our newer members continued success with their use of the BRY-97 strain. Plenty of other brewers apparently use it with no problems' date=' so continued good luck to them as well.

Lusty.[/quote']

Hey Lusty

This is a cool thread, however I think it is time for you to opt out of future discussions wink.

As for the rest of us we can continue to share our success and even share BRY recipes. For me when I open the fridge at my LHBS I see two popular American Dry yeasts side by side and I most often select BRY-97 over the boring US-O5. I can understand where you are coming from though, US-05 is a reliable yeast that never fails, and when fermented at 16 - 18 degrees produces a very clean beer.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Hiya Scottie. smile

Hey Lusty

This is a cool thread' date=' however I think it is time for you to opt out of future discussions [img']wink[/img].

Nice try Scottie, but just like there are two sides to a coin, there are two views out there about this yeast.

One sided views of the world are for those that believe everything that is written in newspapers, magazines & television based media. I don't subscribe to that view.

I thought my last post was pretty kind actually, given the grief this strain has caused me personally, along with the many comments by others across not only this forum, but numerous others who have experienced similar problems.

At the end of the day, brewers will draw their own conclusions based on their own experiences with it anyway, & I sincerely hope none of them go through the multiple tipping's I did with brews using this strain.

Lusty.

After reading this thread I'm now a little more worried than I was .

Pitched re hydrated BRY -97 at 22 ° in a 1.038 wort about 42 hours ago and very little in the way of activity

Temps have been close to ideal at 18-20 since then .

US -05 stalled on me and so far the only yeast with a perfect record is CCY and if BRYan doesn't pull his finger out then CCY will be going in

Take a hydrometer reading. Apparently BRY-97 doesn't show much the first couple of days.

I just took a reading after 72hrs. It's been on 17.5c since pitching yeast at 23c.

OG 1.040 down to 1.020 today. Pretty happy so far.

Should i up the temp to around 20c to let it ferment out?

Dingo.

I was doing the Red Rattler recipe again with Bry-97 yeast. My only question is the yeast has an expiry of 04/16.

It has been kept in the fridge, will it be ok to use or should I go with the US-05?

Cheers

Gav

It's within date so it should be fine. It may be beneficial to re-hydrate it in water first though. Boil some water in a pyrex jug, let it cool to low 30s celcius (or whatever Danstar recommends), tip the packet of yeast into it and let it sit for about half an hour then stir in to a cream and pitch into the wort.

And no dramas Dingo. I'm guessing pressure changes may have something to do with the airlock going nuts. 20 odd litres of beer won't rise by 2 degrees in only half an hour. Cheers mate, in the middle of the boil now, should be done by 2pm then off to a BBQ!

I was doing the Red Rattler recipe again with Bry-97 yeast. My only question is the yeast has an expiry of 04/16.

It has been kept in the fridge' date=' will it be ok to use or should I go with the US-05?

Cheers

Gav[/quote']

G'day Gav, what's your gut feeling on this? unsure

Brewing like life is a bit of a gamble at times, are you a punter or not? whistling

Cheers.

Hiya Scottie. smile
Hey Lusty

This is a cool thread' date=' however I think it is time for you to opt out of future discussions [img']wink[/img].

Nice try Scottie, but just like there are two sides to a coin, there are two views out there about this yeast. Lusty.

Hey Lusty

This wink means tongue in cheek, or I'm taking the Piss.

I do admire your initial persistence with this yeast. As I have said before it only took one failure with that slow starting Scottish yeast and I never tried another 60 Shilling. That failed attempt was all the way back June 2014 and I've never considered another.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Lallemand have had trouble producing BRY-97 yeast since it came on the market. They had to recall a batch about the same time this thread started back in 2014 due to a prolonged lag phase.

See: http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/81925-current-batch-bry-97/

I think there are still issues with it. Tried it twice and not impressed. Gone back to US05.

My Bootmaker Pale Ale was infected, & I ended up tipping it down the sink.

The previous brew also had an infection, & though I did my best to clean & sanitize between brews, it wasn't enough to stop my Bootmaker going bad.

With that in mind, I'm subscribing to the theory that Bootmaker has BRY -97 as the yeast included with the brew can, & that at least a few batches are suspect, & that a weak or sub par yeast may have exacerbated a problem already present in my FV.

I'm well aware that it's practically impossible to avoid some level of contamination of a brew, & that usually the impact is so minimal as to be unnoticeable.

Furthermore, as I don't want to have the same experience again, I'm going all out the clean & sanitize my FV numerous times before I make my next batch.

I'll also use US-05 for future brews of Bootmaker, or whatever brew I make that I'm not confident about the yeast that comes with the brew can.

On the whole I've found Coopers brew cans are pretty good & reliable, but all it takes is a sub par yeast to turn a decent or even really good brew into something that's only good for cleaning out the sink; moreso if you have a latent infection that rears it's head & out-competes with the yeast you use.

I suspect that even the yeast that comes with the Australian Pale Ale, or the Canadian Blonde would be preferable when making a Bootmaker or other brews that have the B code on the yeast pack.

I'd like to hope that I'm wrong, but clearly if I'm not, & some sub par yeast is going out with brew cans, clearly something will have to be done to ensure brewers can expect the normally high standard result from using Coopers products.

As for purchasing BRY - 97 as a yeast off the shelf at my LHBS, I'll be giving that a wide berth.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived