Coopers Community

Me & BRY-97

Beerlust

Hey Anthony

Because we are forum Pals I reckon I can safely suggest that you should try BRY without the Airlock tongue

But on a serious note, as you know, I have my second brew using BRY-97 down at the moment. The first one I rehydrated the yeast and it was up and about within 24 hours, although I pitched high at 24'C.

This one I didn't rehydrate as I am a bit gun shy handling yeast and I though how risky is this stirring yeast in open conditions for so long. So I pitched it yesterday around 5pm at 14'C, its now just starting to form a Krausen.

Its too bad you lost your third attempt Lusty. Get your self onto Wyeast 1332 or 1272, very different yeast but they worked well for me in my LCPA clone attempts.

Well after 3 attempts' date=' sanitary changes, babying the Danstar WCA BRY-97 yeast with nutrient in the boil, I'll let Bugs Bunny summarize my plan on using this yeast in the future.

Bugs Bunny performing Beerlust & BRY-97 yeast

Anthony.

The link won't work on my ipad but I have assumed it says "That's all folks!".

What happened? Is it infected or does it just taste ordinary?

I have a beer with BRY-97 that has just about finished fermenting and it tastes great.

Thanks for the kind words of concern Scottie, Ben, & Hairy. Much appreciated. happy

I just can't win with this yeast. crying

I've persisted with it, because of the good reviews many people on this forum & others give it.

I've re-hydrated the stuff to the letter, pitched it dry as I normally would, added nutrient into the boil prior to mixing my brew wort for pitching, changed my sanitation regime & methods. All to no avail. sad

There is something I'm missing or overlooking with my practices (No doubt). But I'll be buggared if I'm going to continue to waste my money on what I consider to be a "fragile" yeast. I've already lost almost 70 litres of good brew ingredients on this yeast, whereas something like US-05 that has never failed me, & delivers a very similar flavour profile, I know where my future yeasts buys will be. Also, as Scottie mentioned about liquid yeasts, I'm also yet to have a failure with numerous types of them. happy

I'm not beating up on Danstar yeasts, I've used Nottingham & the Belle-Saison yeast with very good results.

Try this link Hairy, it's what my link is, & I'm sure you'll get a giggle from it as I intended! wink

Thanks guys,

Anthony.

That's a bummer Lusty. Even though I still recommend BRY-97, I wouldn't use it after three failed attempts. US-05 does the same job.

Wyeast 1332 (as recommended by Scottie and the Valley Boys) is a really nice yeast for an APA.

Hey Lusty,

For whatever reason you seem to be the only person in the universe who has trouble with BRY-97.

There has got to be a logical reason - let's see if you can solve your perceived mystery.

Just giving up on using it, is not good enough.

Hey Lusty,

My investigative intuition tells me there only two possible causes for your failures with BRY-97.

1 The batches of yeast you used were faulty and non viable.

AND/OR

2 There are serious flaws in your brewing protocols.

The answer to your question is 42...wink

Well thank you very bloody much' date=' Mr Canadian Man. Not so much as a "bye your leave, sire" or even a spoiler alert. You just had to blurt it out, didn't you!

Well, now that [i']someone[/i] has leaked the answer to the life, universe and everything, I may as well throw myself in the FV on the next brew, and get Muddy to seal it with cling-film. I'm sure someone will oblige me by making sure it is hermetically sealed. What's the point of going on?

PS. I bet you were also the one who wrote the Canuck letter prior to the Watergate Affair too!

EUREKA!

I think I can solve The Case of Mr. Lusty and Mr. Bry.

Mr. Lusty uses air-locks.

This deprives the wort of oxygen, thus killing off trillions of yeast cells and the yeast dies a painful death. That is the theory anyway, and I am sticking to it.

The answer to your question is 42...wink

Well thank you very bloody much' date=' Mr Canadian Man. Not so much as a "bye your leave, sire" or even a spoiler alert. You just had to blurt it out, didn't you!

Well, now that [i']someone[/i] has leaked the answer to the life, universe and everything, I may as well throw myself in the FV on the next brew, and get Muddy to seal it with cling-film. I'm sure someone will oblige me by making sure it is hermetically sealed. What's the point of going on?

PS. I bet you were also the one who wrote the Canuck letter prior to the Watergate Affair too!

I did say Oops! didn't I? Luckily most people don't know that it's the answer to life, universe and everything and didn't understand what I meant!unsure

Last pack I used - currently fermenting - I pitched before bed, at 30°.

As I do when I wake up, I go and say good morning to the fermeezer and see how everyone is.

Behold, within 10 hours BRY is showing signs of life, down to 18°, and that afternoon dear BRYan has a full head of krausen.

No rehydration used.

Hi Ben.

...I pitched before bed' date=' at 30°...[/quote']

Is that the temperature of the wort you pitched the yeast into, or the angle you threw the yeast at? lol

That's a pretty high pitching temp. Do you normally pitch into a wort of that temp Ben? unsure

P.S. Perhaps I should rename this thread to something like "Please Tell Your BRY-97 Success Stories & Rub Lusty's Nose In It!" pouty

Damn BRY yeast! pinched

biggrin

Cheers,

Anthony.

That's the angle I dove into bed at.

Seriously though, I thought I'd try something different with the yeast.

I (briefly) considered the fact that the recommended rehydration temperature is 30° and chucked the yeast in.

Smells fine now, so we'll see.

And no, my general practice is to pitch in the morning at 18°.

Hi John.

Can I make a suggestion to help you get over your failed affair with BRYan?

Compile all your posts into an ebook and sell it on eBay.

lol

For a title' date=' how about, "Bry & Me: A Tale Of Lies, Deceit & Betrayal"? [img']tongue[/img]

Just giving up on using it' date=' is not good enough.[/quote']

I'm certainly not giving up on using it John. I've penned in a date late next decade to give it another whirl! biggrin

Seriously though' date=' I thought I'd try something different with the yeast.

I (briefly) considered the fact that the recommended rehydration temperature is 30° and chucked the yeast in.[/quote']

Good point about the "recommended" rehydration temperature for re-hydrating yeast Ben. Out of curiosity, what timeframe did you work to for bringing that wort temp down to 18°C? Or did you just set the fridge to approx. 18°C & let the brew wort reach that temp in it's own time? unsure

Cheers & good brewing,

Anthony.

You & I & BRY

Tested the OG of my Valley Pale, BRY-97 pitched dry at 14'C. It did take a good 48 hours to really get going, but now at day 8 the SG is 1.007. No Dry Hops, it has a nice subtle passion fruit aroma, bitter and fruity to taste at this early stage. Around 4% ABV.

set the fridge to approx. 18°C & let the brew wort reach that temp in it's own time? unsure

Generally when I awaken the brew is @ pitching temp, although I am not going to be able to tell you the results of this as it was arse and has been tipped.

I give up.

• 1 year later...

I pitched BRY-97 on Saturday afternoon about 2pm.

24hrs later a small amount of foam krausen forming.

52hrs later air lock ready to bubble and thick layer of krausen.

OG 1.040

Rehydrated 11gms, pitched at 23c and lowered to 17.5c where it has been for 48hrs.

When i opened the fridge the smell was amazing!!!

I pitched BRY-97 on Saturday afternoon about 2pm.

24hrs later a small amount of foam krausen forming.

52hrs later air lock ready to bubble and thick layer of krausen.

OG 1.040

Rehydrated 11gms' date=' pitched at 23c and lowered to 17.5c where it has been for 48hrs.

When i opened the fridge the smell was amazing!!!

[/quote']

my first use of this yeast had similar results tho this.

Hello lone desert wanderer, & MMORPG'er! tongue

I just wanted to wish a couple of our newer members continued success with their use of the BRY-97 strain.

In my case however, it is a strain that is highly unlikely to set foot in my brewery EVER again. happy

I have two reliable dry yeast strains that are in the same vein as BRY-97 that have yet to fail me (US-05 & MJ's M44), so I have no need to invest my hard earned on what I consider to be an unreliable yeast.

Plenty of other brewers apparently use it with no problems, so continued good luck to them as well. wink

Lusty.

Hello lone desert wanderer' date=' & MMORPG'er! [img']tongue[/img]

I just wanted to wish a couple of our newer members continued success with their use of the BRY-97 strain.

In my case however, it is a strain that is highly unlikely to set foot in my brewery EVER again. happy

I have two reliable dry yeast strains that are in the same vein as BRY-97 that have yet to fail me (US-05 & MJ's M44), so I have no need to invest my hard earned on what I consider to be an unreliable yeast.

Plenty of other brewers apparently use it with no problems, so continued good luck to them as well. wink

Lusty.

Are you getting your BRY 97 from the same place each time? Did you take notice of dates printed on the packet?

Archived