Coopers Community

The Coopers Commercial IPA PUSH!

Beerlust

Was in the Coopers alehouse Gepps Cross today and they definitely don't have it yet. The "barman" said it was expected in a week' date=' but I don't put much faith in someone in that position who was trying to tell us that the pale ale *is* an IPA ... [img']rolleyes[/img]

I've called the alehouse a few times now, & been told "we don't have it yet" each time. It's a bit of a drive for me to go to the alehouse so I guess I'll just wait until someone (like your good self wink) posts to let us know it is finally on the pour there.

edit - wtf does every post of mine says it was edited? Well' date=' I mean this one WAS edited, but others that I haven't edited, say it was.[/quote']

It's likely just some leftover generic glitch code by the website designers. I don't worry about it.

If it bothers you that much, you could always make a small edit to each of your posts, just so it sits right in your mind. tonguewink

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, so I've had two pints of it. It was absolutely unmistakably Coopers. The yeast character was very dominant.

The beer was so cloudy it was a soup. I queried the guy behind the bar, and he shrugged and said the keg was stored upside down for two days as usual, and the keg was rolled several times before being tapped. There was no reason for it to be so thick and murky. Although the font badge called it a cloudy ale, and it definitely was. I'd be interested to see whether other people's experience at other venues is gonna be the same.

Definitely wasn't anything like a West Coast IPA. There was a fruity hoppy aroma, but it was subtle. Honestly, in a blind taste test, you'd struggle to differentiate it from a Celebration Ale.

I tried it yesterday at GABS. It wasn't super cloudy but not clear either.

I found it to be a little on the sweet side and not overly hoppy. It wasn't a bad beer and was drinkable, but not memorable either.

• 2 weeks later...

I just found this on tap at the Collector Hotel in Parramatta (yes, that's right, Parramatta).

It tasted better than the previous one I had but still a touch too sweet for me. Not a bad beer though but one is enough.

Lusty, have you come across it yet or have they sent everything interstate? tongue

Hi team,

Sorry for the delayed reply.

I made the mistake by having a skinfull before sampling this beer at Melbourne gabs.

From what I recall it was a nice beer but I did find it too bitter and thin bodied for my liking, not quite sweet enough. Hop aroma wasn't all that high either compared to recent IPA styles (which is neither right or wrong). But don't hold me to this, it was at the end of the session.

Everyone has different palate and one particular flavour be it drink or food can be taken different.

Or I'm just strange

For any SA northern locals wanting to try it , the Gepps Cross alehouse has it on tap now. Haven't tried it myself , but friends who went there to do so were very underwhelmed...pity...

• 2 weeks later...

Two pubs in Canberra have Brew A IPA on tap now. Tried it tonight. I wasn't thrilled with how it looked when poured however. I'd liken it to a big glass of mud. It did have a fairly nice fruity flavour, reasonably bitter but perhaps a bit sweet. Overall not too bad but I wasn't blown away.

• 4 weeks later...

G'day guys.

I was out & about yesterday between a few brew shops gathering my ingredients for a steam beer recipe I have planned to brew this coming Sunday, & happen to be somewhere in the vicinity of the new Coopers Alehouse @ Gepps Cross here in SA. So I had a bit of a L'Oreal moment (because I'm worth it! tongue) & popped in for my first look around the place & to try the commercial Brew 'A' IPA.

BrewA-IPA.jpg

As you can see from the pic, it looked more like a coffee latte`than a beer. I let it sit for a good 5mins or so hoping it would settle & clear a bit, but little to no change. Well I'm not a chicken shit when it comes to cloudy beers, time for a whiff & drink. Little to no obvious aroma, malt character in the background & an overwhelming dominant bitterness that quashes any hope of noticing much else. sad

I'm not sure what Coopers were shooting for with this beer, maybe something along the lines of a British style IPA in the James Squires Stowaway IPA mold? unsure If so, for a large commercial brewery, the Squires version is head & shoulders above the Brew A IPA for this style.

I'm not one for harping on in a negative vein, so will just say this beer is the only beer of Coopers that I have sampled that I was disappointed in.

I hope a re-think on this beer happens at some point, because Coopers can make a much, MUCH better IPA than this current offering.

On the positive side, the Alehouse is fantastic, & the staff were lovely & friendly. happy

I'll be back there again for sure. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

Lusty the Brew A IPA I had looked nothing like your cloudy mud. I'll dig up a.photo off my.phone, upload and attach to this forum.

My beer poured quite clear from memory. Perhaps a touch of haze through it. But translucent, not opaque!

Could it be the way it was stored? Tapped? Poured?

Lusty the Brew A IPA I had looked nothing like your cloudy mud. I'll dig up a.photo off my.phone' date=' upload and attach to this forum.

My beer poured quite clear from memory. Perhaps a touch of haze through it. But translucent, not opaque!

Could it be the way it was stored? Tapped? Poured?[/quote']

Same. I have had it twice and whilst it was a little cloudy, it wasn't the sludgy soup in Lusty's photo.

Perhaps they used Adelaide tap water to make that batch tongue

G'day guys.

I'm not one for harping on in a negative vein' date=' so will just say this beer is the only beer of Coopers that I have sampled that I was disappointed in.

I hope a re-think on this beer happens at some point, because Coopers can make a much, MUCH better IPA than this current offering.

[/quote']

The beer I had looked exactly like yours. Judging by the pictures Coopers uses for publicity for this beer I don't think it was supposed to end up looking like muddy water. A friend had a glass from "the end of the keg" which was more that golden colour in the advertisements and it tasted much different to the super muddy cloudy one I had. I think something is amiss and this isn't how the beer is truly meant to be enjoyed.

I drank one of these with lunch today...

HRY945q.jpg

Tasted alright... Looked good to me too. Certainly wasn't just bitter muck, the hops were subtle and balanced between bitterness and aroma. But perhaps if I was more of an IPA fan I'd be a better judge...

To be fair, the barkeep that served me that beer said it was a freshly tapped keg. Still it probably shouldn't be poured & presented that way to a patron. Maybe staff should be instructed to pour a few off at the start of the keg until it pours more like a beer before serving them to the public. unsure

All I know is I wouldn't pay $6.30 again for a schooner of what was poured for me in that instance.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Or maybe after the kegs have sat around for a while, don't roll the bloody things around before tapping them, at least this way all the crap stays in the bottom and while the first glass or two might pour a bit of yeasty muck, all the rest after that should be fine, just like our kegs at home.

The beer I had looked exactly like yours.

G'day CanaKiwi, where did you have yours? Was it at Debacle?

I had a schooner of the Coopers IPA at Debacle and it was a bit cloudy, but nothing like that. I've had Coopers Pale Ales as cloudy as Lusty's pic from PJ's in Tuggeranong before and it's usually after they've just switched the keg in. They'll usually pour a bit off the keg before replacing my pint after I bring it back.

Cheers,

John

I had one of these last weekend.

I was severely disappointed. It was very very plain, with almost little hop aroma and a low/mid bitterness. Nothing like the IPAs i've tried, nowhere near enough of either of the above.

Wouldn't buy it again.

Here's a pic of the Coopers IPA that i had a couple of weeks back in Balmain. This was at the London Hotel. Certainly not muddy like Lusty's example.

I was not blown away by this beer. There are plenty of other beers out there that would be ordered ahead of this one again - depends on the pub and what they had to offer.

FC3DE042-B414-4817-B93C-3CF5899B0519.jpg

G'day CanaKiwi' date=' where did you have yours? Was it at Debacle?

[/quote']

Yes it was from Debacle (had to go for some 2-for-1 pizza happy )

Like I said, I had one, and a friend had one. The one my friend had looked more like the one in Jeremy-o's picture.

We tried to get them to pour another one for me that didn't look like mud, but the bar staff was adamant that the beer was supposed to look like mud, and that the more clear beer was the anomaly. I felt it was bull, but it wasn't worth the argument.

Even though I don't think the beer was the greatest success, there are two things I like about it:

1. Coopers trying something different and producing limited release tap beers. Hopefully there are some interesting ones in the future.

2. It is better than Tooheys New or VB at my local.

Even though I don't think the beer was the greatest success' date=' there are two things I like about it:

1. Coopers trying something different and producing limited release tap beers. Hopefully there are some interesting ones in the future.

2. It is better than Tooheys New or VB at my local.[/quote']

+1

Cheers,

Lusty.

Even though I don't think the beer was the greatest success' date=' there are two things I like about it:

2. It is better than Tooheys New or VB at my local.[/quote']

I'm just not sure how they got it so wrong. As an IPA it's barely in the ball park in my opinion.

Archived