Coopers Community

The Coopers Commercial IPA PUSH!

Beerlust

Hi guys.

As a person who is passionate about what Coopers stand for, represent, & are capable of as a large scale commercial brewer in Australia, I would like to begin a thread that simply asks for a "Hell Yeah" prompt of support for Coopers to produce a commercial IPA for the masses.

I for one, would love to see it. cool

No other large scale brewery (in AUS) is producing a beer of this style, even as a seasonal type brew. Little Creatures is probably the closest unsure. If anyone can tell me what the largest commercially produced IPA in AUS is, I'd be happy to know who does it, & at what quantities.

Coopers successfully produce the Vintage Ale each year via a limited production schedule, & I believe they can produce an IPA along much the same lines that will yield them a growing following worth a seasonal production schedule at a bare minimum.

I'll get the ball rolling...

A commercial Coopers IPA,.... HELL YEAH!!!

I hope those who enjoy the style get on board!

Cheers,

Anthony.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And does the James Squire IPA count as a beer from a large brewery?

Have you seen it anywhere lately Hairy? unsure

I got the feeling it has been pulled too.

...another HELL YEAH!!...coz I had to post again!!! biggrin

COOPERS IPA! COOPERS IPA!! COOPERS IPA!!!

Cheers,

Anthony.

And does the James Squire IPA count as a beer from a large brewery?

Have you seen it anywhere lately Hairy? unsure

I got the feeling it has been pulled too.

I find the Stow Away IPA everywhere. In local bottle shops and also local restaurants. My local Indian restaurant has it; I think they believe it is actually an Indian beer. It was drunk there so close enough and it is better than Kingfisher wink

What type of IPA are you pushing for Lusty?

What type of IPA are you pushing for Lusty?

I personally wouldn't be fussed. I reckon Coopers would do a very good job of it regardless of the type of IPA they produced.

Coopers could approach it in one of two ways. Make it a set recipe for all year round' date=' or like the Vintage Ale, change it up each year & do a limited seasonal run of it. The latter would be my choice, & I reckon just like the Vintage Ale, beer lovers would lap it up!

I've had an inkling for sometime that Coopers have deliberately steered clear of this style as to not undermine their Pale Ale & Sparkling Ale. If in fact the powers that be are concerned about that, then I feel the limited seasonal run would almost assure that doesn't happen.

As we all know, Coopers are already making pre-hopped wort of it, why not throw it & a few more hops in a decent size batch & run it down the bottling line? [img']biggrin[/img]

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Hell yeah

I'd buy it even if it was crap, (well one carton of it anyways)

But why not call it 1868 IPA and try it to the original Coopers recipe!

Be very surprised if we didn't lap it up!

Oh, can we get it in largies to please Coopers!

Cheers

I push for an IPA or Porter (two of the earliest recorded brews in the Jolly Good Ale and Old book) whenever the opportunity arises - have been accused of sounding like a scratched record rolleyes

Keep pushing Paul, I'm definitely in your corner (but I do realise that doesn't count for much!)

Cheers

• 2 years later...

Well it's finally happened!

You beauty! happy

Has anyone had a go at this:

http://www.coopers.com.au/#/our-beer/brew-a-ipa/brew-a-ipa/

Reads well. The tasting notes gives a bit of a leg up for formulating a clone.

Cheers' date='

Dave.[/quote']

Good find Dave! smile

Locally here in SA Coopers just opened a new Ale house out in the North of Adelaide (closer to where I live) & I plan to get out to it a bit when I can. By all reports it's going great guns too!

Anyways I just got off the phone with them, & surprisingly they are NOT pouring the new IPA there! sad

I currently have no idea of who is stocking the new IPA either. I'd love to try this beer, actually I'll go as far as saying I MUST try this beer, as it is something I've been praying Coopers would have a go at producing commercially for sometime now.

Does anyone know of a venue North of the city that has it on the pour?

Cheers,

Lusty.

WOW! - 60 IBUs and 6% ABV, should be a nice drop, unfortunately we won't see any in Mackay. Its a pity they didn't do a bottle run and sell through Dan's.

The Gage Roads Sleeping Giant IPA is nice and from memory is 50 IBUs and about 5.5% ABV. It has been dry hopped and I have bought it at different times and have experienced different levels of dry hop influence probably do to age.

Well it's finally happened!

Locally here in SA Coopers just opened a new Ale house out in the North of Adelaide (closer to where I live) & I plan to get out to it a bit when I can. By all reports it's going great guns too!

Anyways I just got off the phone with them' date=' & surprisingly they are NOT pouring the new IPA there! [img']sad[/img]

I currently have no idea of who is stocking the new IPA either. I'd love to try this beer, actually I'll go as far as saying I MUST try this beer, as it is something I've been praying Coopers would have a go at producing commercially for sometime now.

[/size]

I wish you well Sir Lusty in your quest for this elusive IPA. wink

I know you work in alcohol sales in the Adelaide area and keep you ear to the ground about Coopers and have bee a long time advocate and you don't know were you can try this drop. surprised

Seems to me the marketing arm of Coopers is less than focused on this task if you are in the dark on this one. rolleyes

Good luck, you'll need it. bandit

Cheers.

Would be interesting to try that one.

Part of the problem I suspect is the cost of all those hops. Just made another Julius IPA clone, cant quite remember how much but it uses something not far off 300g of hops, approx doubling the production cost.

So it will be available at GABS before it will be available to someone who lives 20mins away from the brewery itself. rolleyes

Hairy will actually have the opportunity to sample this beer before I will. pouty The world today really is a screwed up place!

Would be interesting to try that one.

Part of the problem I suspect is the cost of all those hops. Just made another Julius IPA clone' date=' cant quite remember how much but it uses something not far off 300g of hops, approx doubling the production cost. [/quote']

I'm personally not interested in costs. The pursuit of flavour in all its glory is what I'm about, & I could care less what it costs to produce it. I certainly understand where you are coming from, but the best of things in life are rarely done in half measures, or under restriction. wink

I did a couple of 250gm hopped pale ales a little while back, & while they were expensive to make, they were terrific to drink! coollove

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

So not released in bottles and only at selected pubs?

A good response to it on tap should see some form of packaged release I would imagine. I really do hope the public get behind it.

If Coopers were to release it in a packaged form' date=' I would think a safe bet for them first up would be to release it much like the Vintage Ale, as a seasonal release. That should give Coopers a good guide to its overall interest in the current beer drinking market.

I'm a big fan of Coopers & what I believe they stand for in opposition to the two BIG megaswill producers in this country, so I hope they press on with the IPA. I look at Coopers as being the major producer of beer in this country that by public support has continued to produce beer of a standard in opposition to, & well above the general "swill" put up by the other two.

Support of new lines like this offered up by Coopers only help to improve what we ALL can look forward to drink at our local pubs.

Cheers,

Lusty.[/size']

So it will be available at GABS before it will be available to someone who lives 20mins away from the brewery itself. rolleyes

Hairy will actually have the opportunity to sample this beer before I will. pouty The world today really is a screwed up place!

Yeah baby! I will be drinking this one out of spite devil

Well the Melbourne GABS is done and dusted but I haven't seen anything about the new IPA ... either they haven't made it yet or it is only going to be released at the Sydney one. Anyone heard/seen anything about it?

Any hints as to where' date=' the stockists link isn't working in the link above. [/quote']

The stock list is working now. Unfortunately it looks like it is only available in WA, SA and Vic. So that's a bit of a bummer. Hopefully its just not completely up to date yet!

Any hints as to where' date=' the stockists link isn't working in the link above. [/quote']

The stock list is working now. Unfortunately it looks like it is only available in WA, SA and Vic. So that's a bit of a bummer. Hopefully its just not completely up to date yet!

Was in the Coopers alehouse Gepps Cross today and they definitely don't have it yet. The "barman" said it was expected in a week, but I don't put much faith in someone in that position who was trying to tell us that the pale ale *is* an IPA ... rolleyes

Coopers IPA will be on tap at the Grace Emily here in Adelaide tomorrow! They open at 4pm.

edit - wtf does every post of mine says it was edited? Well, I mean this one WAS edited, but others that I haven't edited, say it was.

Archived