Coopers Community

Brewing Fridges

Chezza

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ps. I don't use the Krausen collar anymore' date=' I doubt it will fit if I used that. I stopped using the collar ages ago. [/quote'] In most cases, fine. However, you may find that certain brews need that extra volume.

Example: Belgian Dubbel pitched with Wyeast 3787 at day 3. w00t

BelgianDubbel_zpsf8f7bcb2.jpg

Ps. I don't use the Krausen collar anymore' date=' I doubt it will fit if I used that. I stopped using the collar ages ago. [/quote'] In most cases, fine. However, you may find that certain brews need that extra volume.

Example: Belgian Dubbel pitched with Wyeast 3787 at day 3. w00t

BelgianDubbel_zpsf8f7bcb2.jpg

And defying the laws of gravity biggrin

Edit: Paul, you turned your photo up the right way. Now my post doesn't make any sense. Oh well, it can join a long list of other posts wink

Knocked it up for the bloke who gave me the 12 beers of Christmas. He always bangs on about Chimay Premiere (Red Label)...rolleyes

5kg Pale Malt

1kg Wheat Malt

500g Crystal Wheat

500g CSR Brown Sugar (No Belg Candi on hand but used CSR before with good results)

50g Choc Malt

Mashed @ 67C for 90mins

Boil 70mins

50g Perle 30mins

30g Saaz 0mins (meant to use Tettnang but stocks were at an embarrassing low)

Made to 23litres

Wyeast 3787

Just bought a second fridge, 280odd litre & no freezer. perfect size for 2 FV's which I want with now 4FV's n hand. Temp controller I got another from here: Got an STC 1000- from china too but for the price being already setup you cant go wrong

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Temperature-Controller-16-Amp-with-Inbuilt-Alarm-Heating-Cooling-Home-Brew-/281136917146?pt=AU_Barware&hash=item417510ea9a

It's a bit hard to follow that. Yet, I was given a great secondhand freezer from a neighbour. I then bought a Mangrove Jack's temp controller yesterday (and I know it was overpriced for it's functionality but I wasn't confident about wiring it myself. It will only support heating or cooling at one time, but at $75 it does the job).

I haven't decided the best way to place the temp probe, but that'll come with experience.

Freezer1.jpg

Freezer2.jpg

Freezer3.jpg

Edit added 26/2/14 3:10 pm: I even checked today, and it will hold the 60 litre CopperTun fermenter. Woohoo! Maybe the slower fermenting times won't be so much of a problem for the "winter" brews. smile

Picked up this homemaker wine fridge last night. Got a brew fridge!!

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/camberwell/fridges-freezers/wine-cooler/1039528128

Fits perfectly without the krausen collar and fits just with it on albeit somewhat tightly.

Next to pick up the temperature controller and heating element. Then I can get on to actually brewing something! For $120 it is in good condition. All up I think I will spend $220 on fridge, temp controller and heating belt. Think it is worth starting right from the start.

Do a few brews and it will have paid for itself in savings for buying retail.

Hopefully drop my first brew next weekend being a long weekend and having more time up our sleeves!

Thanks to everyone for the opinions and help on this.

Thanks to eveyone who contributes to Brewing Fridges, it has helped to guide me in obtaining the right equipment for the job in hand (brewing beer in excessive ambient temperatures). I Was lucky enough to buy Westinghouse 240 litre fridge only in good condition for $90 and coupled with a Kegking 16 amp dual controller $69.95 have set-up which takes Coopers fermenter with Krausen collar with room to spare. I cut a groove in small block of styrofoam so that probe from controller in contact with fermenter but ambient air in 'fridge unable to get near probe.The only adjustment I made was to set temperature Hysteresis setting on 1 degree Centigrade differential which is default setting for controller on instruction sheet supplied with unit and set temperature set point on 19 degrees centigrade.Everything working perfectly and it takes quite a while before FV heats up to 20 degrees C and controller kicks in,so it is not continually cycling on and off all the time. Brew of Coopers Sparkling Ale fermenting quite happily away. The next thing to get is heat belt from Kegking (30 watt) for I think $19.95 for winter times and I should end up with beer without Twang? hopefully, Cheers to all Tezza

Thanks for info. on Kegking controller Hairy all the best.

http://imgur.com/z4G7FjV,0mkzfrY,C7wFSy7#0

http://imgur.com/z4G7FjV,0mkzfrY,C7wFSy7#1

http://imgur.com/z4G7FjV,0mkzfrY,C7wFSy7#2

No problems Tezza.

Good to see you have it all sorted. 18 or 19 degrees is fine; I don't think anyone could taste the difference between the same beer brewed at 18 degrees vs 19 degrees. I wouldn't be able to anyway.

Hi to JohnE9,you were right my friend .This morning after removing a few shelves in my newly acquired brew fridge ,I was able to fit in second fermenter as per link. Wow! Now I can increase production.I will just have to be careful with brews with high Krausen? as pointed out by PB2, Hi to PB2 great Forum you guys have here,and Coopers beer the best, cheers to all Tezza

http://imgur.com/IjgLCON

Hi to Ben10, the fridge size is 241litres (fridge only) I got it secondhand off Gumtree for $90 and it was really clean and in good condition.It is called Westinghouse All refrigerator model RP241T. I looked it up on the internet on Whirlpool forum and a few people had problems with them when they were still in warranty period about 6 years ago and they gave them new fridges. They were made in China(about 6 years ago ) and apparently unrepairable according to some forum entries. Mine seems to work ok, but if it dies I suppose I could use it for a storage cupboard.Cheers Tezza.

Hi John E9 I went to remove crisper at the bottom but it has a big hump behind the crisper for compressor at the back.cheers

wisdom above is obvious in a warm climate, taken the steps to join the temperature controlled beer fermentation crew, found the fridge on gumtree and did the deal, will pickup on the weekend, ordered STC 1000, so will be up and running in a week or two, all going well.

Excuse me antiphile, do you have that number for Brewers Anonymous? pinched

sorry antiphile it might be too late.

• 4 weeks later...

Ben10 and Magnaman

They both look like very very schweet setups, you bastards!

Magnaman: I tracked down that number you were after. It's 1800 KILLME. And did you wire up the STC-1000 yourself. If you did, you're a smart bastard!

Magnaman: I tracked down that number you were after. It's 1800 KILLME. And did you wire up the STC-1000 yourself. If you did' date=' you're a smart bastard![/quote']

Thanks' antiphile, assisted by smart bastard. biggrin

• 6 months later...

Archived