Coopers Community

2nd Steep of Specialty grains

LeCoq/Rooster

I was listening to a Beersmith podcast and the guest said you can do a 2nd steep of specialty grains much like a 2nd runnings with AG. Does anyone do this? I've just brewed two batches doing this. The current one i'm brewing is a combination of 2nd steep of Carapils, Amber and Choc from 2 separate brews.

What would the actual amount of one would be getting from the grains 2nd time round? I think the guy on Beersmith said 40%. So i'm guessing, to calculate for a recipe, i'd put 40% of the amount of actual grains put into 2nd run into the software.

Thoughts?

I eat some grains that are "spent" whenever I have finished sparging. If I can taste sugar then I should have gone longer.

Not once have I tasted sugar. Therefore IMO there is for me, no benefit.

When I used just specialty grains I would pulverise them in a blender and strain - after steep - through a chux cloth.

There may be some benefit I guess based on steeping method.

Eat some of the grain next time before your second steep. No sweetness = no point.

I eat some grains that are "spent" whenever I have finished sparging. If I can taste sugar then I should have gone longer.

Not once have I tasted sugar. Therefore IMO there is for me' date=' no benefit.

When I used just specialty grains I would pulverise them in a blender and strain - after steep - through a chux cloth.

There may be some benefit I guess based on steeping method.

Eat some of the grain next time before your second steep. No sweetness = no point.[/quote']

Ben 10 comes thru again! I'll do that. It's interesting the amount of colour that comes out of the second steep. It looks exactly the same. I should keep some of both to taste. The theory is that the first steep is, like AG, for higher OG's; the second is for pale ales and Standard/ordinary bitters.

You can get tannins from grain too. This has colour but not sugar.

My last brew, just pitched yeast 1hr ago, had an estimated OG of 1033 but the actual OG was 1021. That was 30min after pitching in fridge. I assume that's because it's all tannins and no sugar?

Problem is Brewers friend software says it should still be about 1032 without any of the grain.

As mentioned in the other thread Rooster, the first runnings are where you obtain the bulk of your body (measured as specific gravity) & flavours from the grain(s). The calculator will assume this is what you are obtaining your liquid from when approximating figures.

Also the grain to water mix will also play a part in what is achieved from the steep. As a safe rule of thumb, using an amount of water equal to 3 times the weight of the grains is a pretty good place to start.

i.e. 500gms of grains = steep in a minimum of 1.5 litres of water.

Cheers,

Anthony.

As mentioned in the other thread Rooster' date=' the first runnings are where you obtain the bulk of your body (measured as specific gravity) & flavours from the grain(s). The calculator will assume this is what you are obtaining your liquid from when approximating figures.

Also the grain to water mix will also play a part in what is achieved from the steep. As a safe rule of thumb, using an amount of water equal to 3 times the weight of the grains is a pretty good place to start.

i.e. 500gms of grains = steep in a minimum of 1.5 litres of water.

Cheers,

Anthony.[/quote']

Thanks for covering both threads. I normally steep in 1.5litres because of the machine i use to steep requires that as a minimum. The calculator issue has come up because a brew 'guru' said that you can calculate 2nd runnings as 40% of the amount of 1st runnings grain used (100g in 1st run equates to 40g in 2nd run).

I'll take it up with the brew club next month and see what they all say as well.

Archived